Question regarding unlocking/jailbreaking

jbjints

Feb 14, 2009
Hello,
I am currently an Instinct owner but very close to purchasing an iPhone. As I am reading the different boards I see a lot of "unclocking/jailbreaking going on." When you jailbreak or unlock the iPhone does this mean you can use it at that point with another carrier but be capable of using all of the iPhone's fetaures and different downloads?

I am a Sprint customer but I truly do want an iPhone but I still have 2-1/2 years left on my Sprint contract so my hands are tied.

If I bought the iPhone I would be able to use it for all of the applications? Will I still be able to use Sprint as my carrier while using the iPhone (I'm guessing thats what jailbreak & unlocking does)?

Is jailbreaking/unlocking an iPhone against the law? If this wasn't supposssed to be posted I am sorry but I originally did plan on buying an AT&T account but if I do not have to go through the hassle of paying ridiculous cancellation fees. It'd be well worth it.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Hello,
I am currently an Instinct owner but very close to purchasing an iPhone. As I am reading the different boards I see a lot of "unclocking/jailbreaking going on." When you jailbreak or unlock the iPhone does this mean you can use it at that point with another carrier but be capable of using all of the iPhone's fetaures and different downloads?
For the most part, yes.

I am a Sprint customer but I truly do want an iPhone but I still have 2-1/2 years left on my Sprint contract so my hands are tied.

If I bought the iPhone I would be able to use it for all of the applications? Will I still be able to use Sprint as my carrier while using the iPhone (I'm guessing thats what jailbreak & unlocking does)?
That is what unlocking is designed to do, but, unfortunately, the iPhone will NOT work on the sprint network. The iPhone will only work on GSM networks, and the only ones in the US are ATT and TMobile.

Is jailbreaking/unlocking an iPhone against the law? If this wasn't supposssed to be posted I am sorry but I originally did plan on buying an AT&T account but if I do not have to go through the hassle of paying ridiculous cancellation fees. It'd be well worth it.
It is definitely against the Apple EULA, which is not really a huge issue. Since the beginning of jailbreaking has been assumed to be perfectly legal, but a few days ago Apple made this claim saying that it is a voilation of a copyright they hold, which makes it illegal. This has not been tested in any court, so the "jury is still out" as they say.