Question regarding WiFi vs. 3G

Jul 28, 2011
Hello fellow iUsers:) I just received a 64gb wifi iPad 2 as a gift. I have had this sweet thing for over a week now and am so happy I didn't get an Android tab lol, but my question is what you guys would do in my situation. I am an ATT customer and I have an unlimited data plan, so was thinking of swapping for a 16 or 32 gb 3G now that 15 days is closing in. I do have hundreds of gigs in movies, music and pictures on my pc so the iPad won't be my main device, but I do go out a lot and i was just curious as to how nice the 3G is and how quickly 16gb can get filled up:) I am also a bit concerned about 4.3.4 on a new one. This is running 4.3.3 and I want this firmware. Thanks n advance for any suggestions!

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
There is an App for that ..Well there are Apps like Airplay let's you stream from your computer
Also once iOS5 is released you could scale down on GB
I have the Ipad2 got 32 thinking I need as much as my phone? I could have gotten away with 16GB' I use my ipad different then my phone! Hardly have duplicated Apps and stream movies.
I have the Beta installed so no comment on the 4.3.4
For me no need to have all the GB but that is me

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If you jailbreak the iPhone, you can tether to the WiFi iPad for free with MyWi. I've used it and it works well, you'll just want to try to keep your data usage under 2 GB per month so you don't get flagged. Otherwise, official tethering is $20 per month but you'll lose unlimited data if you add a tethering plan. If you do decided to trade it in, you can save space by using Air Video rather than storing the movies on your iPad. It allows you to stream the videos that are stored on your computer over 3G or WiFi.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I have a 64GB iPad 2 Wifi Only and bought it specifically to do exactly what Europa suggested. Though I have been updated to iOS5 for a while, so been without a jailbreak, but before iOS5 the tethering with MyWi worked great. Only downside is it eats away at the iPhone Battery.

Jul 30, 2011
Hey..can you help me out I don't really know what Im up aginst. I have a iPhone i just cancelled the data plan so now what can i do with it? I would like to be able to use my home wifi and use it as a computer. it is Version 4.3.4 (8k2) fIRMWARE 05.16.02.

lemoon

Bronze
Oct 28, 2010
If you jailbreak the iPhone, you can tether to the WiFi iPad for free with MyWi
Cool! use MyWi
I followed the guide "Tips to Turn iPad Wifi Into 3G" in iFunia iPad Column that how to use MyWi to turn WiFi to 3G, Works well!
BTW, and you can use these apps to stream or enjoy videos: Air video, Airplay, NetFlix, Flixster App.

Nexxus

Bronze
Dec 1, 2007
Hi. I have a 32GB wifi/3G and so happy I bought the 3G version. I bought the 32gb because I use Notes Plus for all meeting and todo notes and I use other businesss apps so I need the space. I didn't want to use my iPhone for tethering because it does drain the battery. I always have my iPad with me when I'm away from home so the 3G does come in handy.
I stream podcasts to my iPad as well when I find something I don't have on my iPhone. If you do spend a lot of time away from home and you always have your iPad with you and surf, stream or download a lot think about getting the 3G.

Aug 10, 2011
This is bound to be of interest to you guys. I'm now 4 months with this site & very impressed with their service:

BritTV.co.uk

I see they've started doing iPad & iPhone streaming too which makes them the first site to stream UK channels through these platforms outside the UK. Great site with full Sky package (including movies & sports), great quality streams, TV Guide, customer service rep generally available via Online tab bottom right, 17 UK radio channels, great price, 15 minute preview at the above link & never had the slightest issue with them.

Best site of its ilk I've come across. Reckon they're going to be huge.

Double KLM

Bronze
Aug 16, 2011
Cool! use MyWi
I followed the guide "Tips to Turn iPad Wifi Into 3G" in iFunia iPad Column that how to use MyWi to turn WiFi to 3G, Works well!
BTW, and you can use these apps to stream or enjoy videos: Air video, Airplay, NetFlix, Flixster App.
I have an ipad2 on the Verizon 3G network. Don't get me wrong, having 3G service almost everywhere is great. If my company wasn't paying for the monthly service, I would have definitely gone with a wifi only version. Wifi is almost everywhere, plus, I can share a 3G or 4g cellular connection through a mifi device (another separate topic). I just don't think I could justify yet another monthly charge for another cellular device.

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
I myself got the Wifi one, since I just tether to it through Personal Hotspot that comes with 4.x. Luckily for me, Rogers doesn't have that tethering BS that AT&T does and just uses your existing dataplan...but at the same time we don't have unlimited plans, either, 6GB maximum.

Dazzle7000

Bronze
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
There is an App for that ..Well there are Apps like Airplay let's you stream from your computer
Also once iOS5 is released you could scale down on GB
I have the Ipad2 got 32 thinking I need as much as my phone? I could have gotten away with 16GB' I use my ipad different then my phone! Hardly have duplicated Apps and stream movies.
I have the Beta installed so no comment on the 4.3.4
For me no need to have all the GB but that is me
I have Wifi at home and I use it for almost everything. I've noticed Netflix is much better on wifi than 3G --picture and sound. I saw an app called "AirPlayit" which is supposed to enable your iPhone to stream music and videos in 3G. I've been doing this without any app and the results vary from excellent to terrible. Does this app improve the quality of streamed material on the iPhone?