Question/thought on 3G with iPhone...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SuperDave

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Hey I was just thinking about this so let me know what you think. This is not a rumor or anything, just my 2 cents. Ok so everyone keeps saying that the iPhone will NEVER get 3G. People have taken the phone apart and have confirmed that a 3G radio is not installed. As I've been reading, Apple and AT&T have been working on some sort of other phone system but won't comment on it. So here's what I am thinking MIGHT happen. MAYBE Apple and AT&T are working on another faster phone system like "4G." Maybe we should believe them that 3G will never come to the iPhone, but something even faster might be in store later on with a update.

Let me give an example of why I think this will happen. When I bought my new MacBook Pro with a Core 2 Duo my internal wireless card only had a/b/g capabilities. About a month ago I downloaded a piece of software for $1.99 that allowed me to use the new "N" standard. I am now using my "N" router with my MB Pro and it is blazing fast. The card now states I have a/b/g/n capabilities.

Would this be possible or am I just dreaming?

Dave

chakraj

Jun 30, 2007
they may be working on hsupa, thats the next new wave in high speed mobile. the new HTC keiser will have edge, hsdpa, and hsupa support. and it seems like AT&T have slowed there 3g service rollout. they may be working on going straight to HSUPA:eek:

SuperDave

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
yes like I said it was just a thought/dream. Apple has been known to throw in surprises here and there so my crazy brain went to work.

gmemon

Jul 7, 2007
or may be its part of working with google strategy? I think i read somewhere that google intended to provide free wifi for the entire US. If that really is the case then who really needs EDGE? Google's apps (which fit the whole no 3rd party app installation) and Google's network. What do you guys think?

jimwarden

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
AT&T just tripled my WiFi speed.

Wasn't really looking forward to AT&T taking over BellSouth DSL, but just got my DSL Lite speed nearly tripled with no additional cost. I had been thinking of upgrading from my original 284 bit/sec download speeds because YouTube videos paused so often. Now I don't have to with well over 700 bit/sec speeds. So maybe AT&T has plans to upgrade Edge as well, or better yet, plans for a new 4G.

Jim

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
There is limited Air Waves up for grap. At&t cost is a tenth of what other providers pay by using lower frequency. Overseas there is no concern and have plenty of room to roll out 4G. Due to the FCC it would take a long time for 4G.

3G is power hungry and would also add cost ($40 Instead $20). Due to being so limted in areas there was need to add at this time. There will be 3G iPhones once its overseas.

JNGold

Jul 8, 2007
Hey I was just thinking about this so let me know what you think. This is not a rumor or anything, just my 2 cents. Ok so everyone keeps saying that the iPhone will NEVER get 3G. People have taken the phone apart and have confirmed that a 3G radio is not installed. As I've been reading, Apple and AT&T have been working on some sort of other phone system but won't comment on it. So here's what I am thinking MIGHT happen. MAYBE Apple and AT&T are working on another faster phone system like "4G." Maybe we should believe them that 3G will never come to the iPhone, but something even faster might be in store later on with a update.

Let me give an example of why I think this will happen. When I bought my new MacBook Pro with a Core 2 Duo my internal wireless card only had a/b/g capabilities. About a month ago I downloaded a piece of software for $1.99 that allowed me to use the new "N" standard. I am now using my "N" router with my MB Pro and it is blazing fast. The card now states I have a/b/g/n capabilities.

Would this be possible or am I just dreaming?

Dave
The iPhone just doesn't have the radio built in to handle 3G (according to the FCC filing). This is not the same scenario as the Treo 750 which contained a 3G radio (UMTS) but not activated for HSDPA. HSDPA can be activated via a software update (or by a hack that Treo owners have applied).

I don't think I have ever head either Apple or AT&T say that the iPhone will NEVER have 3G. What I do think (and agree with) is that the current 3G technology is much too battery hungry. As a 750 owner, I can attest to this. Many 750 have set the device to EDGE only just to extend the battery life as long as possible. I agree with most here that 3G would have been nice to be included but it would have to be selectable and able to be turned off, especially with the non-removable iPhone battery and for the fact that it needs as much juice as possible given it's multimedia capabilities.

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
before you jump the the conclusion of a 3G iPhone, consider the fact that Apple will include many other new things to the iPhone with 3G so expect ti to cost a little more in price, Apple isn't going to release a new iPhone and just have 3G and the bugs in iPhone as the only improvements, think of the commercials for it, the iPhone 2, now with no bugs from the iPhone 1 and now faster internet, do you really think people would buy it for that? My point is that if there is going to be a iPhone 2 it will have more features and will cost more, and will take some time because Apple cant just pop some new features in 1 year out of their asses.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Newer products and upgraded are usually cheaper over time. Look at the RAZR.

When did FCC released the iPhone info? It was under lock and key per Apple request.

chakraj

Jun 30, 2007
Apples new iPhone 2, 4 inch screen, mms and video recording, 30 gig hd, 3.5g, and a full microsoft office support. only $799.00