Question w/ Wireless keyboard & Magic Mouse

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cjvdh, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

Okay so pretty much loving everything being wireless and what not but I do have a small question about how the battery life on these are? So far I have been using my computer pretty heavy putting all of my previous information from my old computer onto the new one and also writing a lot of emails and listening to music and photo shop. I have not noticed the battery life or the keyboard life go down at all and I have been on it pretty much since I bought it except when I went to bed. So for people who do have the wireless setup how often do we have to replace the batteries? What's like the typical life span on the batteries? Thanks! I am just curious thinking maybe I should stock up on them? LOL! Thanks for the help people!

2. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

When I click on system preferences and then mouse it shows the battery life still at 100%. I have no idea how accurate that it. Most wireless mice/keyboards boast 6 months or longer on batteries but if I get 3-4 months I'm ok with that.

3. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

I didn't expect it to even last 3-4 months like you had mentioned. When I go into preferences and click keyboard or mouse down at the bottom it will say how much % you have left on them. So mickey are you saying that those % are not accurate?

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

My wireless keyboard goes at least a few months on the same set of batteries. Can't comment on the mouse, though.

5. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

Cool thanks for the input fella's

6. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

I'm saying I don't know how accurate it is. I've been using mine for 2 days and it's still showing 100%. But I'm really expecting to only change batteries 2-3 times a year.

7. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

Yeah that's kinda what I was expecting aswell. How many batteries does the keyboard and mouse take each?

8. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

I also did want to ask you guys when you are done using your magic mouse and keyboard for the evening do you turn them off every time or just leave them on? I mean how much battery could it possible use when its not in use?

9. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

when you're not using the keyboard, it is off.

i know there is an off switch for the mouse... but again, i haven't used one.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I leave mine turned on 24/7. My batteries last 6+ months. I haven't received my magic mouse yet, but it takes 2 AA batteries. My Logitech mice require 2 AAA's.

11. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

You're gonna love the mouse! I don't slide the switch off because you know how most bluetooth mice have that bright red light flashing on the underside? Well this baby only has a very small green light and it only comes on when the mouse is lifted from the table!:)

12. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

My keyboard stayed up at 100 % ( if the indicator is correct) from purchase ( end August 2013 if I remember right ) until early Nov, then started dropping and is now 51% which is quite acceptable. The Magic Mouse stayed up at 100% for a couple of weeks , then dropped off providing me with 2 months total. The OE batteries were 'Energizer' alkaline... price is right I guess, but my local Apple Reseller ( not an Apple Store per se...- but still a top rate resource- ) suggested using Apple's re-chargeables and charger, indicating that I could expect possibly a 'bit less' life per charge, but that I could probably expect 3 to 4 years total on a set of batteries with normal recharging. The chap indicated that the keyboard shouldn't be an issue for battery size, and that any AA would work. The OE's were alkaline, but it was suggested that 'NiMh Rechargeable' are generally better. This is what the Apple Batteries are, and they seem fine so far in the mouse ( keyboard still good on the OE Energizers) He said that in the mouse, the physical size of the battery is quite critical, and that many aftermarket batteries tend to warp the contact surfaces causing intermittent issues. A few times ( when I was still on the original batteries), I had to open the mouse, take them out, and re-position them to restore mouse function. That has NOT happened since I started using Apples rechargeables/charger. "Use Once” LiOn batteries are expensive enough that they would really have to outlast anything else by quite a bit, for there to be any advantage that I can think of, so the "Apple" solution seems the best cost-wise and practicality in the long run.
    I'd like a bit of feedback on battery life for both mouse and keyboard in situations which are probably more intensive than mine, ( light use, likely average an hour/day ) and whether or not many have encountered intermittent mouse operation which can be fixed by fiddling with battery positioning. I have even read of people making cardboard 'shims' to properly hold 'non-Apple' batteries to avoid problems... (?) David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#12 dmoskaluk, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  13. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

And further to above , I always leave mouse and keyboard switched on 24/7. Computer itself sleeps when not active ( 30 min ) and is only shut down when I have to disconnect the the power cord ( such as after a power black out....) because the re-instatement of electricity can be more problematic than having it drop out ...ie a few "off-on-off-on" cycles, so I usually give things 10 min to stabilize ....) David

#13 dmoskaluk, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  14. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

I installed “Battery Status" ($1.99 in the iMac App Store ) and configured it to display battery status for Magic Mouse and Keyboard on the menu bar at top of screen. Great little App in that it saves having to go through "Preferences" and look at both Mouse and Keyboard pages from there.... It always displays the status of the battery with lower charge, but when clicked on shows both , as well as other information. If is is to be believed, the "100%” displayed for what seems like a long time in Preferences , particularly for the keyboard, is a bit 'optimistic' to say the least ! When I first displayed the reading for my mouse was within 5% ( it was lower ) than in preferences-mouse.... But the keyboard was quite different. Preferences showed 51% as in what I posted here a few days ago. but the Battery Status indicated 18 % which I'd think is more believable. Those were the OE batteries which came in the keyboard. I charged up 2 of Apples batteries in their charger, and now I have 100 % on preferences-keyboard, and 86% in the Battery Status. When I charged the batteries, they had reached 'Green Light' but this was the first charge for this pair, so with a bit of 'stretching' I'd expect a bit more .... More perimeters will be eventually displayed on Battery Status , but apparently it needs to monitor the batteries for about a week to get the data re 'how long until dead' Etc. Sure glad no one is trying to learn statistics like that about ME ! As advertised though, a quick check of battery status provides an awareness level which should avoid panic situations needing a quick trip to get batteries, or a waste of time waiting for batteries to recharge. David