question/your opinion

ap93

Bronze
Feb 7, 2008
hey guys if you have seen my posts about the mac you might know that i am interestid in the imac and i was wondering if any of you have it... what do you think?

and also does anyone know if i can get a list of software available for the mac. i use corl draw and i want to do some graphic design. anyone please?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
hey guys if you have seen my posts about the mac you might know that i am interestid in the imac and i was wondering if any of you have it... what do you think?

and also does anyone know if i can get a list of software available for the mac. i use corl draw and i want to do some graphic design. anyone please?
There is a tiny tread in the Mac section in the iMac. My 21 year-old son has a brand new one. I got him the 20-inch, 2.4 GHtz, with a 500 GB HD and 2 GB of memory. He seems very happy with it. It's fast and never misbehaves. He uses it for college and is always playing WOW. It seems to be a great, fast computer, with some room for expansion (but it's not a MacPro!).

Go to the online Applestore and MacMall to see what software is available. There are a lot of graphic applications, although Corel Draw quit being made for the Mac years ago.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
My name is Shawn, and I LOVE my iMac.

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
When I switched from Windows to a Mac, I got an iMac. It was sort of like a gateway drug, it caused me to go out and get a Mac Pro. I gave the iMac to my sister, she loves it.

It's great. And it works all the time. :cool:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
hehe... the iPhone was my gateway drug. Before it, i would have laughed at the idea of owning a mac.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I've stated it before, I'll state it again. I could write a book on why Macs rule.

As for design, check out GIMP. It's like the free version of Photoshop.

- John

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
I've stated it before, I'll state it again. I could write a book on why Macs rule.

- John
I like Pixelmator even though it costs, it looks awesome and works just like Photoshop.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007

- John
I don't know Gimp, but I'll try it.

For cheap graphic applications, try the GraphicConverter and my all-time favorite, Color It! from MICROFRONTIER. I've veen using it since 1994. It's been upgraded since, of course! It's simpler than Photoshop, but not that much, and it's a lot more intuitive. No need to read the manual, most of the time. It's a lot faster and it accepts most of the Photoshop plug-ins. When I say I "photoshopped" a pic, I really "Color IT!'ed". I'm not sure why it's so poorly advertised. I have Photoshop, but it annoys the heck out of me most of the time.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I've tried Pixelmator. I really like the design; it's much more Mac-like than GIMP. But I think GIMP has more functionality. Note that it requires X11.

- John

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I've tried Pixelmator. I really like the design; it's much more Mac-like than GIMP. But I think GIMP has more functionality. Note that it requires X11.

- John
OK, I tried Gimp. I don't like it very much. It doesn't have built-in filters and feels/look like a PC app. Looks like Photoshop's little sister, but without any of the trimmings. I realize that we can't be too demanding with a free app.

I still greatly recommend Color It! The $60 are well worth it.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008

- John
Yeah but the only thing I really miss in Pixelmator in when in photoshop you can click on a part of a picture and Photoshop will assign that color for you. So you never have "the wrong shade"

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I've owned tons of Macs since 1984 and I've never been happier than I am with my 24" iMac. It's fast. It's quiet. It never crashes. It runs Windows. It looks cool.
I used to have a G4 PowerMac (the old Wind tunnel), and have no regrets in upgrading to my 2.33 Intel Core 2 Duo iMac with 2 GB of Ram.

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
I don't know Gimp, but I'll try it.

For cheap graphic applications, try the GraphicConverter and my all-time favorite, Color It! from MICROFRONTIER. I've veen using it since 1994. It's been upgraded since, of course! It's simpler than Photoshop, but not that much, and it's a lot more intuitive. No need to read the manual, most of the time. It's a lot faster and it accepts most of the Photoshop plug-ins. When I say I "photoshopped" a pic, I really "Color IT!'ed". I'm not sure why it's so poorly advertised. I have Photoshop, but it annoys the heck out of me most of the time.
Wow! Color It! is still around? I had it in the early years but I thought it had disappeared...time to take a look at it again. Thanks. I had Enhance too....

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Wow! Color It! is still around? I had it in the early years but I thought it had disappeared...time to take a look at it again. Thanks. I had Enhance too....
It's still around, and running all those nice Photoshop filters.

Last edited by a moderator: