Questioning Jailbreak

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
I used the greenpoison jailbreak to jailbreak my phone a few months ago. I am by no means an expert on the jailbreak side, but have become a big fan of biteSMS, mywi, and some other enhancements (one touch to shut down background running apps and more custom themes).

However, over the past few weeks, I feel like my phone is "slow" to respond. I open biteSMS (or the OEM messenger) and there is a delay before I can actually start typing. Sometimes opening the phone with the slider, there is a delay. Nothing stops the phone, it just has these "pauses" that really are getting annoying when I know it should work faster (and my wifes 3GS can do it faster).

I have done a hard boot many times (again, very slow to complete the cycle, but completes it) with the holding the power and home key till the Apple logo appears (and then the greenpoison Apple).

I am wondering if the greenpoison jailbreak vs another method is the culprit. I am still on 4.2.1 as there has been no update from greenpoison.

If I was to switch, do I need to unjailbreak and then re-jailbreak with another method? Any advice or thoughts appreciated.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
You wont get an update from greenpoison. You need to back-up then update through iTunes to 4.3.3 then rejailbreak using any method - I would recommend jailbreakme.com and then put your jailbreak tweaks back on your iDevice.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
I recommend updating to 4.3.3 and using redsn0w or jailbreakme.com. I just updated from 4.2.1 to 4.3.3 without restoring and rejailbroke with redsn0w a few days ago. This was my second update or restore that PKGBackup made darn near effortless. I highly recommend it as it practically pays for itself with time, especially after a springboard crash "forgets" all your homescreen and folder layouts.

If you are experiencing lag it might be a good time to restore as new and start from scratch. As long as you've been syncing regularly and have your data backed up, the only headache is the time it takes to sync all your music and apps back to the device (if you're like me and have 32 gigs full ;)).

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
Not sure how I got to greenpoison, but it was pretty easy jailbreak. I regularly backup on iTunes, so I can easily upgrade to 4.3.3. Once updated and I re-jailbreak, I have to reload or download from Cydia all my jailbreak apps?

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Not sure how I got to greenpoison, but it was pretty easy jailbreak. I regularly backup on iTunes, so I can easily upgrade to 4.3.3. Once updated and I re-jailbreak, I have to reload or download from Cydia all my jailbreak apps?
Yes, use jailbreakme.com its the easiest jailbreak I have ever known, and the quickest.

You could always try a cydia app that backs up your jailbroken apps and sources, but I like to set them up new.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
As an FYI my iPhone 4 is on 4.3.3 and jb--and I'm getting that same kind of lag. Also have bite installed and I'm starting to think that is the culprit. I have gotten texts that come in at the same time as a phone call and the iPhone reboots.

Michael

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
damn. biteSMS is probably the jailbreak app I utilize the most (obviously other things are just running).

Anyone else experiencing issues of lag, slow to respond when you open the app before you can type, etc?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I love bite as well and hope it is not it. Heck I'm not even willing to delete it to see if it helps.

But as for the lag... frustrating. Sometimes when booting iPhone I can't even type my passcode for like 10 or seconds after the passcode screen appears.

Michael

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
damn. biteSMS is probably the jailbreak app I utilize the most (obviously other things are just running).

Anyone else experiencing issues of lag, slow to respond when you open the app before you can type, etc?
You could try uninstalling it and using iRealSMS 3.0 instead. I prefer it over BiteSMS and it works fine on 4.3.3.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
Everything was successful (thought after the upgrade and restore of the jailbreak, I did have to do a Restore of my backup as the jailbreak backup had a hiccup and installed my jailbreak apps but removed all my other apps.

The restore of my preupgrade backup put all my apps and jailbreak apps back. Only winterboard was missing.

I noticed a sort of pause when you touch and app to start the app and the screen change from the app home page to entering the app as a sort of pause and herky jerky motion as the app screen shows. Not a smooth transition.

I saw some you tube videos and there appear to be some options as to how to make the transition from one screen to another (think when doing a picture slide show and the options of fading from one shot to another). Maybe I have something causing the un-smooth transition.