Questions about 3.0.1 update

jwp

Bronze
May 9, 2009
I have a non-jailbroke, 16g, 3G iPhone on the AT&T service. I have done the settings (found in this forum thank you) so that I can tether it to my laptop and it works fine.

I have read somewhere that if I update to the latest 3.0.1 OS that I will lose my ability to tether. Anyone know if this is true or not?

Also, what good things are in the 3.0.1 update? Anything worth having?

Thanks.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I think tethering will still work, but I'm not 100% sure.

The 3.0.1 update did one thing, it fixed the SMS vulnerability issue. If you are concerned about the remote possibility of a hacker taking control of your phone, you'll want to update.

Charlie Miller, credited as the first person to ever hack the iPhone and winner of Pwn2own 2009 and various other hacking competitions, presented his discovery of the iPhone remote exploit hack at the Black Hat cyber security conference in Las Vegas this year. Apple released the security update the following day. The hack comes in the form of a text message and modifies sent network data. If the phone is turned on, the hacker can take control of the device and use it to make phone calls, activate the camera, use the internet, and use the contact list to take control of more iPhones.