Questions about backing up when updating?

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
At some point i'm going to want to go to 1.1.4 for the sms fix and the reported faster speeds and battery management.

If i don't want to lose my contacts on my phone (they aren't on my computer anywhere), how can i do this? I do not mind about the pictures...they are my computer, but i cannot lose my applications. When i restore to 1.1.3 factory settings before updating to 1.1.4, it asks to make a backup. Should i say yes and I will be able to use that one once i've restored and then jailbroken 1.1.4? Or will it not work because i'll be on a new firmware?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
When you plug in your phone to sync it will automatically back up everything on your phone.

is250sp

Jan 22, 2008
correct me if i am wrong, but doesn't it only backup and sync checked components? in other words, if he doesn't check "contacts", it wont backup and sync the phone book, correct? or does it back up everything and just sync checked components?

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
correct me if i am wrong, but doesn't it only backup and sync checked components? in other words, if he doesn't check "contacts", it wont backup and sync the phone book, correct? or does it back up everything and just sync checked components?
I'm pretty sure it will back up all details on the phone.

atldvd

Bronze
Jan 8, 2008
N.E. Oklahoma
I'm pretty sure it will back up all details on the phone.
That's right (sort of). When I went to 1.1.4 I had problems and ended up with an iPhone which was wiped clean. I finally reinstalled iTunes and got it to work. It saw a blank iPhone and showed me a list of saved iPhone data (of which there was only one since I have only one iPhone). I selected my old iPhone and it restored my contacts, even my recent call list. Only thing is, it didn't restore my music. I have it set to manually manage music, and it didn't restore any of it. No big deal, though. just took a few minutes to select the music I want and copy it over.