Questions about backups to computer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rainbow_dog, Dec 18, 2012.

1. rainbow_dog

rainbow_dog New Member

For extra peace of mind, I use iTunes to back up my phone's data to my desktop.

Where are these files?
    Can I view their contents directly?
    How could I use them if something happened to my phone?

2. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Well, if you have a Mac... They're in Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup. They're not really user accessible but you can use third party software to view/modify them. If your phone had to be replaced or you restored it, you can restore from backup in iTunes. Sorry I couldn't tell you more. A Google search will give you some good information.

3. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

No need for third party utilities. Since at least Lion, to get to the Library: In Finder go to the 'Go' tab whilst holding down the Option Key. Select Library and a new Window will open for that Folder.

4. jimmerlink

jimmerlink New Member

1. Connect the iPhone to the computer with a USB cable.
    2. Open iTunes.
    3. Click on your iPhone under DEVICES in the left menu.
    4. Make sure the Summary tab at the top of iTunes is selected.
    5. Under the Backup section, check the "Back up to this computer" radio button.
    6. Click the Sync button.
    You can also backup to iCloud to keep a copy of your iPhone data on Apple's servers.

5. rainbow_dog

rainbow_dog New Member

I guess I was little unclear. Let's make it more concrete and take a disaster scenario I'd like to be prepared for*:
    • The iPhone is stolen and for some reason I can't access icloud either.
    • I don't have time to get a new phone. (and who knows, maybe I want to shop a non-Apple device. Sacrilege, I know.)
    • I have to see immediately what appts I have coming up (Calendar) and I have to make some phone calls (Contacts).
    How'm I gonna accomplish these tasks?

BTW, I have a PC, not a Mac.

* Probably improbable, but it can't hurt to be prepared.

6. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

ImageUploadedByiCafe1355927237.294807.jpg ImageUploadedByiCafe1355927247.661790.jpg ImageUploadedByiCafe1355927242.529526.jpg
    :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  7. Richu75

Richu75 New Member

Install outlook and sync it to iCloud using the 'iCloud Control Panel for Windows'.
    You'll face to errors while it cannot sync at that time (or you would be able to enter the icloud website), but all your appointments and contacts will be stored locally.

8. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

The two methods I use to see the calendar items and contact information quickly without my phone or iCloud, is:

First, is to use contact management software, such as Microsoft Outlook, on your PC and to regularly sync it with the iPhone using iTunes. Syncing would have to be done after every change in either the PC's info or the phone's, in order to keep the info the same in both.

Second, in addition to the above, have an iPad with the same information in it and keep it regularly synced with the same PC as the phone.

There are probably other methods out there but the above is the one that works for me. The biggest problem with using these two methods is if you make several changes a day, the time required to sync everything starts getting excessive.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List