Questions about brushed metal bezel look for iPhone 3G

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
The brushed metal bezel look for iPhone 3G

I don't know if any of you have looked at this trick to get a nice brushed metal look on your bezel, but I have been researching it lately. There are 3 good things I think come from it:

1. It gets rid of any scratches you have on the bezel.
  2. It prevents future small scratches. And if it does scratch it is very easy to just brush them out again.
  3. It looks VERY nice, from what everyone is saying. I read through and 99 percent of the posters loved the new look so much more.
Here are some great pics:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...e/DSC00465.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...e/DSC00456.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...e/DSC00461.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...e/DSC00462.jpg

And here's a YouTube video on how to do it:

Now, a question. The bezel is used as an antenna in the iPhone 3G:

From the Apple website:

More wireless. Less space.

iPhone 3G delivers UMTS, HSDPA, GSM, Wi-Fi, EDGE, GPS, and Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR in one compact device — using only two antennas. Clever iPhone engineering integrates those antennas into a few unexpected places: the metal ring around the camera, the audio jack, the metal screen bezel, and the iPhone circuitry itself. And intelligent iPhone power management technology gives you up to 5 hours of talk time over 3G networks.
Is messing with the bezel gonna mess up the reception at all?

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
Well, I was thinking it looked totally awesome... until I got to the part about the potential reception issue. It's definitely an attractive look; I like it better than the mirror finish. ...but that bit you pulled from Apple makes me nervous about considering it.

rmfnla

Bronze
I talked to a friend who is an RF (radio frequency) engineer and he said the finish should have no effect on reception.

I especially like the way the buttons look; are the photos your phone?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I talked to a friend who is an RF (radio frequency) engineer and he said the finish should have no effect on reception.
Whoa you talked to him just now after reading this post I made an hour ago? That was quick.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I especially like the way the buttons look; are the photos your phone?
No, I haven't done it to my phone yet because I was worried about the reception problem messing with the bezel. I hope your friend is right, because I plan on doing this this weekend!

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I seriously doubt it would have ANY effect on reception. Have you heard this from someone that's done theirs or are you just concerned it may?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I seriously doubt it would have ANY effect on reception. Have you heard this from someone that's done theirs or are you just concerned it may?
I am just concerned it may since logic tells me that scratching up the antenna seems like it might affect its performance.

rmfnla

Bronze
Won't happen.

Radio waves cause tiny vibrations in the antenna structure. An antenna is "tuned" for its intended wavelength(s) by using specific materials and making it a specific size.

The surface finish has nothing to do with this.

<edit> How funny that a Verizon Wireless ad just popped up; talk about the wrong demographic!

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I will chime in here.

I just did this tonight using only one of the three tools (a Brillo pad). And let me tell you, it looks AMAZING! I have the v1 iPhone, so as long as you have a screen protector on, you don't need the tape. Just do it carefuly and you'll get the same brushed look. It does not scratch the metal backing of the iPhone, and I had a screen protector on mine and it did not scratch the screen protector, either.

If you have the iPhone 3G, I'd recommend using the tape because it seems the plastic would scratch easier.

Just letting you guys know it's quite easy if you've got the v1 iPhone.

Take care!

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
Thanks for the post! I really don't like the chrome on the iPhone... it's kinda tacky and looks cheap. I'm definitely going to try the brushed metal look! I doubt it will cause a reception issue.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Any word on whether this causes a warranty issue? I hear they replace the chrome on it anyway when refurbing it after it's returned for repair or replacement