Questions about buying an iPhone

HeiHeit

May 22, 2008
okay so i have a couple questions before i buy my iPhone

(im going to buy from an AT&T retail store)

first, i am a minor, i heard from somebody that i need to be 18+ to buy a phone... is this true?

second, do i have to buy a 2 year plan to actually buy an iPhone? or can i just buy the phone alone without buying the contract

last, if i go to an actual Apple retail store, will i have to meet the requirements of the first two questions? i.e. needing to be 18+ and needing to activate a 2 year contract

insight is appreciated!

thank you!

~HeiHeit

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
you have to be 18 to set up an account with at&T. you can't use the iPhone until you set up the account in iTunes. you will be required to start a two year gig with at*T also.

It really won't make any difference for you to buy from an Apple store, because you still have to set up the account through at*t. There are ways to unlock the phone after you've purchased it from Apple, but it requires you to void the warranty. Many people have done this without too many problems, but unless you don't mind some slight aggravations in the configuring process, I wouldn't really suggest it. Even if you can use the phone on another service besides at*t, you'll still need an account with another GSM provider like t-Mobile. They will require you to be 18 as well to get that account.

Good luck.

HeiHeit

May 22, 2008
you have to be 18 to set up an account with at&T. you can't use the iPhone until you set up the account in iTunes. you will be required to start a two year gig with at*T also.

It really won't make any difference for you to buy from an Apple store, because you still have to set up the account through at*t. There are ways to unlock the phone after you've purchased it from Apple, but it requires you to void the warranty. Many people have done this without too many problems, but unless you don't mind some slight aggravations in the configuring process, I wouldn't really suggest it. Even if you can use the phone on another service besides at*t, you'll still need an account with another GSM provider like t-Mobile. They will require you to be 18 as well to get that account.

Good luck.
thank you very much for that! that pretty much answered my question. because i WILL NOT set up an account wit AT&T so no worries there. and yes, i was planning on unlocking it so i could use it but without a cellular provider (im going to have this iPhone and an Instinct to be used as my actual phone) so ill buy one from AT&T without buying the service and unlock it. but as for my other question, do i HAVE to buy the 2 year contract to even buy the iPhone?

thank you

~HeiHeit

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
you should just buy the ipod touch if you don't want to use the phone. check the iPhone modifications page for info on activating the iPhone without AT&T.

HeiHeit

May 22, 2008
i do have an ipod touch and yes its nice but its just not doing it for me so thats why id want to buy an iPhone.

k412m4

Bronze
Mar 23, 2008
Buy the phone and ZiPhone it. 5 minutes. Done deal. Everyone's happy. Just don't break it.

If you crack it be sure you're service plan is set to unlimited minutes/texting/internet... You don't want to end up with a bill like my old one.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
If you buy the iPhone at Apple, you don't have to get the contract with it.

- John