Questions about closing/exiting apps

Jul 29, 2008
Winter Park, FL
I have read on this forum that the iPhone doesn't run apps in the background after closing them.

Question: If the iPhone doesn't run apps in the background after closing them, then what is the advantage of holding the home button until the app exits vs. a quick press of the home button to close the app?

Is it a "close" vs. "exit"? For example in MS Word, we know you can close a document, but Word stays open vs. exiting Word and the app is gone out of memory.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
I think the App's stay running as when I run Remote Desktop Lite, I will get a message that there is not enough memory to run it. I then turn the phone off and back on and I do not get the message.

I thought there was something about how the app disappears from the screen (when holding the home button) that indicates or is supposed to close it. I have tried that, but still get the low memory message, hence my turn on and off.

Jul 29, 2008
Winter Park, FL
I have observed this:
When you press and hold the home button, after a delay, the screen goes black then the home screen appears. This is supposed to exit the app, or so I have read.

Your evidence suggests it doesn't exit. Or else it does exit but the memory is not freed. Which would be a dumb thing.

raxelsen

Bronze
Nov 16, 2008
Dublin
www.moneymadeonline.ws
I have read on this forum that the iPhone doesn't run apps in the background after closing them.

Question: If the iPhone doesn't run apps in the background after closing them, then what is the advantage of holding the home button until the app exits vs. a quick press of the home button to close the app?

Is it a "close" vs. "exit"? For example in MS Word, we know you can close a document, but Word stays open vs. exiting Word and the app is gone out of memory.
I think you just answered your own question there. As far as I know, a 5 seconds (or plus) press of your home button will close ALL apps including the ones that are set to run in the background. A quick press only will close most apps, but not the ones that are set to run in the background.

Can anyone confirm this, please?

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
As far as I know only apps made by Apple are allowed to run in the background (phone app, SMS, iPod, etc). There are some jailbroken apps that will remain running if they're not closed properly.

I think holding the home button down was meant more for when an app locks up so you don't have to reboot the phone (force quit).

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Raxelsen and vegasflyby pretty much hit the nail on the head.