Questions about EDGE network

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

TMaples

Sep 20, 2007
I haven't got the iPhone yet but am planning on it. I want to understand it fully before I get it. I'm not 100% with everything and would like to have a full grasp on the information. Anyways, I heard you can use the internet from almost anywhere using the EDGE network. First of all, does this cost money(other then your plan), and does it use your minutes? Is it literally accessible from almost everywhere, or does it just have a really long wireless range? Also, is there anything else I should know about the iPhone in general before I purchase it? Thanks!

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
O.K. Your plan with AT&T includes unlimited data, which means you use the edge for free anytime you want (when you have service) It does not use up your minutes. It is accessable from anywhere you get service. FYI You cannot receive calls while using edge. They go straight to the voicemail. Visual voicemail is great so you won't mind that. The non-Apple pc router should work fine.

dooki

Sep 21, 2007
CA
How slow is EDGE? I've read rumors that 2.0 is coming out some time next year and that it may have 3G. Would it be wise to wait?

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
How slow is EDGE? I've read rumors that 2.0 is coming out some time next year and that it may have 3G. Would it be wise to wait?
the edge network is a little faster then dial-up internet, but not near as fast as broadband. It's somewhere inbetween. I find that it works fine for emailing, and is good enough for web browsing when I need to check something or am bored.

I don't think you should wait. There will always be something better on the horizon to wait for. Get it now and start enjoying it right away, and when something better comes out that you want to upgrade to, sell the old and buying the new won't require too much more money.

I got my iPhone as soon as the prices were cut, and although I plan on upgrading whenever the iPhone2 comes out, I'm going to enjoy the iPhone1 between now and then.

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
EDGE speeds vary depending on where you are. apparently in new york city it can go as high at 300kbps and some places it's under 100kbps. it's not as fast as a cable connection, but it's plenty fast for what it's needed for.

robby69

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
I agree with Edge's speed being very acceptable. Of course I am sure it depends on how many people are on the network node. It of course takes longer for screens to download, but its not like my old T-Mobile sidekick where the screen would just hand with network traffic.

I find myself leaving wifi off and using the Edge exclusively.

jags86

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
I have to shed some light on this topic. Edge is miserably slow. It really is. 100/200 kpbs is slow. It may technically be faster than dial up, but it feels no different. Try loading up go.espn.com, thesuperficial.com, facebook.com, myspace, etc. or any page that has pictures/lots of links on it and it will take forever. I don't find taking 3 minutes to get the espn scoreboard up acceptable. Just my opinion.

Needless to say, showing off the iPhone is great until the person asks to see the internet. The response is "man thats takes a while."

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
I have to shed some light on this topic. Edge is miserably slow. It really is. 100/200 kpbs is slow. It may technically be faster than dial up, but it feels no different. Try loading up go.espn.com, thesuperficial.com, facebook.com, myspace, etc. or any page that has pictures/lots of links on it and it will take forever. I don't find taking 3 minutes to get the espn scoreboard up acceptable. Just my opinion.

Needless to say, showing off the iPhone is great until the person asks to see the internet. The response is "man thats takes a while."
ESPN. com even takes 4 or 5 seconds to fully load on my comcast digital cable. Which is the fastest available in Chicago.
It just took me 18 seconds to load it with my iPhone.
That's not supposed to make your jaw drop with excitement, but don't be silly talking about 3 minutes.

robby69

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Why do people forget it is a 4x3x0.5" computer in your pocket, a fair trade-off if you ask me. Surge 3G would be nice, but it is in limited areas anyway so you probably would be on edge most of the time anyway.

gijoe

Aug 12, 2007

I have never had the espn scoreboard take more than a minute on edge, if it is too long for you use the mobile version of the site which takes just a couple of seconds. Edge is fast enough for what it is, sending email and some web browsing while you are away from your computer. If you use it as your primary Internet source than I can understand the complaints.

jags86

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
For all of you doubting me. I literally just used a stop watch to time this. 5 bars signal. espn.go.com: took 104 seconds to fully load. To get the MLB scoreboard to fully load, that took 90 seconds for it to be scrollable (where you can see the scores), and for the blue bar to be fully loaded took 135 seconds.

That is unacceptable, IMO. Edge is fine for email and mostly text websites, but to incorporate a full web-browswer and have it be completely crippled by a horrible network isn't that amazing. I understand 3G isn't available everywhere, but they should have included it.

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
For all of you doubting me. I literally just used a stop watch to time this. 5 bars signal. espn.go.com: took 104 seconds to fully load. To get the MLB scoreboard to fully load, that took 90 seconds for it to be scrollable (where you can see the scores), and for the blue bar to be fully loaded took 135 seconds.

That is unacceptable, IMO. Edge is fine for email, but to incorporate a full web-browswer and have it be completely crippled by a horrible network isn't that amazing. I understand 3G isn't available everywhere, but they should have included it.
would you rather have 3G and a 2.5Hr battery life or use edge? the only option i see Apple having would be to have an option to disable 3G to save battery. most people who have moto 3G phones look to disable 3G because it eats up the battery so much. i know my razr was lasting a day at most because 3G was draining the battery. i dotn use my phone for my primary web browsing experience, and EDGE does the job while keeping the battery life solid.

jags86

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
somehow i don't think i would be having 2.5 hr battery life. i go 3 days before charging my phone as is. so if i had to charge it every day i don't think it would matter that much.

the point isn't to really complain about the iphone--although it should have 3G. its saying that edge sucks--and i wish it were vastly sped up. i don't know if its possible, but it seems logical considering they would have to just improve what they currently have instead of install an entire new system everywhere.

gijoe

Aug 12, 2007
I just loaded the MLB scoreboard in to where it was scrollable in about 25 seconds. Took espn.com 45 seconds to fully load. Maybe there is something wrong with your phone?

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
somehow i don't think i would be having 2.5 hr battery life. i go 3 days before charging my phone as is. so if i had to charge it every day i don't think it would matter that much.

the point isn't to really complain about the iphone--although it should have 3G. its saying that edge sucks--and i wish it were vastly sped up. i don't know if its possible, but it seems logical considering they would have to just improve what they currently have instead of install an entire new system everywhere.
well i have to charge my phone daily ... if your battery lasts 3 days then consider yourself lucky. i've never gotten more than 2 days with mine and i only get that if i don't use it for anything accept talking.

bmw330ci

Bronze
Sep 22, 2007

Facebook takes about 3 seconds for me, 10 seconds on my first time logging on with the iPhone.

I live 5 minutes outside philly though so I have extremely good coverage.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL

I think there is something wrong with your phone if it's taking that long to load ESPN. Seriously. My edge connection is about half as fast as my Wifi.
I check it every now and then, and I average about 150Kbs. I just did it now and with 4 bars, i got 152kbs.
I recommend going under Settings/General/Reset, and try resetting Network settings. and then if that doesn't help, try resetting All settings. (you will not lose any contacts, bookmarks, etc. Though you might have to setup your passwords again for mail and such.)

If that still doesn't work. Take it to an AT&T store and test yours against a display model. Turn the wifi off on the display model and load ESPN or www.iPhonenetworktest.com. Test it against yours. If yours is painfully slower than theirs, then it might be a hardware issue and you will need to talk to them about support anyway.