Questions about giving my iPhone to kid

MNJON

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Minnesota
I plan to give my iPhone to my daughter since me and momma got new 3g's. She now has a RAZR from AT&T so I wonder if we can just take that sim card out and put it in the iPhone and she'll be able to sync it with her iPod stuff. Any tips on what else we need to do? I am guessing call AT&T to change plans to an iPhone data/text plan? Is that it or do we need to do much more?

Thanks!

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
if you want to do it legit and pay for the iPhone data package, I think AT&T will give you a new sim. If you unlock it and jail break it, you can put her current sim right away and start using the phone....BUT.... if she doesn't have a data plan and she goes on the internet on EDGE..... So yeah, just go the AT&T route!

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
if you want to do it legit and pay for the iPhone data package, I think AT&T will give you a new sim. If you unlock it and jail break it, you can put her current sim right away and start using the phone....BUT.... if she doesn't have a data plan and she goes on the internet on EDGE..... So yeah, just go the AT&T route!
Yep - he's pretty much nailed it on the money. I do believe, you can call AT&T and put a "data block" feature on the phone (free), so that it physically won't connect to EDGE if she attempts to. I'm not sure how they will feel about this with the iPhone, but I've done it before on my Treo 680 in the past, no problems.

Hope this helps,

MNJON

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Minnesota
She WANTS to be legit and use EDGE, so do we have to go to an AT&T store then?

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Also be sure to inform your daughter on how bad the iPhone is likely to be stolen...that is if she is in Middle/High School:eek:
-cause they're will be many kids wanting to play with her phone and of course the kids that don't have one will try and seek every opportunity to steal her phone :(

Just tell her to stay very alert and cautious of who she may let see her iPhone and general just general advice;)

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I plan to give my iPhone to my daughter since me and momma got new 3g's. She now has a RAZR from AT&T so I wonder if we can just take that sim card out and put it in the iPhone and she'll be able to sync it with her iPod stuff. Any tips on what else we need to do? I am guessing call AT&T to change plans to an iPhone data/text plan? Is that it or do we need to do much more?

Thanks!
You will probably need a new SIM which would require a trip to the AT&T store but you can activate it at home. (actually you have to)

If your out and about pick up a new sim then pop it in the phone connect it to iTunes and activate it with her number from her razr

SHe can use the iTunes she has her ipod connected to ( and keep using that ipod on the same iTunes)

I am assuming you have the unlimited family text plan ( if yo don't it would probably be cheaper with 3 iPhones on one plan) unless none of you text much ,so all you would have to pay extra for hers is the $20 unlimited data package for a V1 iPhone

And i would also tell her not to be letting all her friends handle it if one drops and breaks the screen i doubt they are gonna dish out the 250bucks to get it repaired

and if its on 1.1.4 software don't update it until the new update is released . I updated both mine and my wifes V1's and it almost ruined them, we also just got 3g's and am planning on selling her 8gb and gifting my 4gb to her sister

MNJON

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Minnesota
Thanks all!

She is 21 and lives alone so she has her own plan.

I went to her house and all we had to do was put the sim from her Razr into the iPhone and hook it to iTunes and it let her add the iPhone data plan and unlimited text.... yeah, she uses lots of texts! ha ha

It's working great. She loves it of course!

Thanks again!

morth58

Bronze
Mar 17, 2008
i also gave my version 1 to my 15 year old daughter- Ive been enjoying being the greatest dad in the world. i can now do no wrong in her eyes.
well i guess i'll find out how long this lasts