Questions about selling iPhone 3G

I just now decided to sell my old iPhone 3G. It looks like people are still asking about $200 on craigslist, so that works for me.

My question is about the best way to restore it. Right now it's running 3.1.3 and it is jailbroken. If I reset to factory will I need to install 4.0.2? Because I can't currently jb that. Is there any way to leave it as is and just get all my info off?

Thanks for any advice!

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I've never done that but have you tried to just erase all content and setting from the general tab? Once you take the sim card out I would think they are left with just a jailbroken phone and that's it ,

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I've never done that but have you tried to just erase all content and setting from the general tab? Once you take the sim card out I would think they are left with just a jailbroken phone and that's it ,
I did this, but how do I remove my phone number from the phone? Or has this already been removed once I updated to iPhone 4?

Should I sell the iPhone 3G with 4.0.1 or should I restore 3.1.3? I have the tools and firmware to do this.

Well I tried to erase the data and ended up getting stuck in the Apple logo constantly rebooting. So now I'm stuck and need to restore. But I think I will wait until next week and just install 4.1.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I did this, but how do I remove my phone number from the phone? Or has this already been removed once I updated to iPhone 4?

Should I sell the iPhone 3G with 4.0.1 or should I restore 3.1.3? I have the tools and firmware to do this.
That's when you take your sim card out, I did that with my 3GS and everything worked just fine. I would in my personal opinion restore to 3.1.3 and sell it that way, I'm giving the option to the buyer to update and take a chance on 4.0 since it's not working magic on the iPhone 3G. Once again that's my own personal opinion

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Well I tried to erase the data and ended up getting stuck in the Apple logo constantly rebooting. So now I'm stuck and need to restore. But I think I will wait until next week and just install 4.1.
Is it still stuck?

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
That's when you take your sim card out, I did that with my 3GS and everything worked just fine. I would in my personal opinion restore to 3.1.3 and sell it that way, I'm giving the option to the buyer to update and take a chance on 4.0 since it's not working magic on the iPhone 3G. Once again that's my own personal opinion
I read that as long as I delete all without iTunes, and don't connect to iTunes, that the phone remains unlocked and all personal data is erased. But, if I connect to iTunes, the iPhone will be locked to AT&T.

Are you saying I should connect yo iTunes and remove the sim or just remove the sim card? To downgrade to 3.1.3, I do have to connect to iTunes, though.

I listed my iPhone 3G, as is with iOS 4.0.1. I'll see if I get any hits. If not I'll downgrade it and relist it.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Oh no I was telling him to erase all content and setting, than remove the sim card, no through iTunes from the phone itself, that should delete everything personal from the phone, but mine wasn't jailbroken so I'm not sure if thats gonna be deleted, but you can always go to jailbreakme.com and re-install it, after that remove the sim card.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I read that as long as I delete all without iTunes, and don't connect to iTunes, that the phone remains unlocked and all personal data is erased. But, if I connect to iTunes, the iPhone will be locked to AT&T.

Are you saying I should connect yo iTunes and remove the sim or just remove the sim card? To downgrade to 3.1.3, I do have to connect to iTunes, though.

I listed my iPhone 3G, as is with iOS 4.0.1. I'll see if I get any hits. If not I'll downgrade it and relist it.

You should just leave the 4.0.1 the way it is. Now that's what i did and had no problems, I called the guy few days later and he was happy with the phone running 4.0.1 jailbroken and with tmobile

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
You should just leave the 4.0.1 the way it is. Now that's what i did and had no problems, I called the guy few days later and he was happy with the phone running 4.0.1 jailbroken and with tmobile
So leave it, but removed the sim card? Is this still an unlocked iPhone?

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
So leave it, but removed the sim card? Is this still an unlocked iPhone?

Leave jailbreak alone, erase all content and setting, make sure nothing is there when it's done like phone numbers photo iTunes info, check if it's still jailbroken if not jailbreak again, take sim card out and that's it. Now what I was saying is that I've never jailbroke my phone so I'm not sure if it's still gonna be there when you're done, just don't update to 4.0.2 and you can always go and jailbreak again before you sell

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Leave jailbreak alone, erase all content and setting, make sure nothing is there when it's done like phone numbers photo iTunes info, check if it's still jailbroken if not jailbreak again, take sim card out and that's it. Now what I was saying is that I've never jailbroke my phone so I'm not sure if it's still gonna be there when you're done, just don't update to 4.0.2 and you can always go and jailbreak again before you sell
My iPhone is not jailbroken. I never said it was. Plus I can't check for any content without connecting to iTunes and creating a new iPhone. It now says connect to iTunes.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I was talking to both of you and I got confused sorry. I though you were the guy originally put the thread. You sim card still in it?

Island219

Bronze
Sep 3, 2010
UK
Go to felixbruns.de and download a stock 3G 3.1.3 update and shift restore (pc) or alt restore (mac)

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Ok Now you said you wanna sell your phone and just wanna make sure your phone number is not in it, by erasing all content and settings and removing the sim card you are good to go. There's nothing in there anymore you can sell your phone. That's what I did. Is that what you needed to know?

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Go to felixbruns.de and download a stock 3G 3.1.3 update and shift restore (pc) or alt restore (mac)
But He said he already has the firmware on his computer.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Ok Now you said you wanna sell your phone and just wanna make sure your phone number is not in it, by erasing all content and settings and removing the sim card you are good to go. There's nothing in there anymore you can sell your phone. That's what I did. Is that what you needed to know?
Yes, thank you!

PAA

Sep 8, 2010
Hello---follow up clarification questions on What to do prior to selling my (non-JB and non-unlocked) iPhone 3G if I want to be as safe as possible about the data on it.
1) Do I need to do anything other than just clicking the Erase all Content and Settings button?
2) Do I also need to remove the sim card and not give it to the buyer?
3) Do I need for example, to follow directions on the 2008 CNET post and Jon Zdziarksi's post from 2008 on erasing the original iPhone?
4) Do I need to JB and unlock the phone to do any safe erasing of data?