Questions about unlocked iPhone's

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

bdizzle

Dec 6, 2007
I just bout a iPhone from the Apple store last week and it came pre-installed with 1.1.2. I feel really restricted with what comes out of the box and want to unlock it so i can install some 3rd party apps. I switched from Tmobile to ATT, but I can still go back in a month if i want to. Ive been reading different sites and im confused as to whether i can/should unlock my phone. so here's my questions

1) If i unlock my 1.1.2 phone, can i still use it on att if i want?
2) if i unlock my 1.1.2 phone, can it be used on tmobile (i read somewhere it cant, but then i read somewhere else that it can)?
3) I bought Apple care, but if i unlock my phone and it needs to be repaired for whatever reason, can i somehow put it back to default so Apple will fix it?
4) i was told (by an Apple employee) that if i unlock my phone id lose a lot of features. If this true and if so what features would i lose?
5) lastly if i go back to tmobile and i get their data plan, can i use it w/ the unlocked iPhone?

Sorry if these questions have been asked already. im just kinda nervous/anxious about unlocking a $400 phone

Thanks

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I just bout a iPhone from the Apple store last week and it came pre-installed with 1.1.2. I feel really restricted with what comes out of the box and want to unlock it so i can install some 3rd party apps. I switched from Tmobile to ATT, but I can still go back in a month if i want to. Ive been reading different sites and im confused as to whether i can/should unlock my phone. so here's my questions

1) If i unlock my 1.1.2 phone, can i still use it on att if i want?
2) if i unlock my 1.1.2 phone, can it be used on tmobile (i read somewhere it cant, but then i read somewhere else that it can)?
3) I bought Apple care, but if i unlock my phone and it needs to be repaired for whatever reason, can i somehow put it back to default so Apple will fix it?
4) i was told (by an Apple employee) that if i unlock my phone id lose a lot of features. If this true and if so what features would i lose?
5) lastly if i go back to tmobile and i get their data plan, can i use it w/ the unlocked iPhone?

Sorry if these questions have been asked already. im just kinda nervous/anxious about unlocking a $400 phone

Thanks
You cannot unlock an out of the box 1.1.2 phone yet (still being worked on). You can, however, jailbreak it. Jailbreaking it allows the installation of additional software but you are limited to using AT&T as your provider. Unlocking the phone makes the phone capable of being used with other providers and that is not currently possible with the new 1.1.2 phones being released (phones upgraded from 1.1.1 and early to 1.1.2 can be though, just not the ones being sold by Apple already set at 1.1.2).
So...
1. If you jailbreak the phone you can use it with AT&T (only).
2. You cannot currently unlock the out of box 1.1.2 to work with T-Mobile.
3. If you jailbreak your phone and need to take it in for service you can restore it back to factory specs and take it in.
4. If you could truly unlock it (instead of just jailbreaking it) you can loose visual voicemail and some of the other features which are not provided through the other carriers.
5. If you could unlock your phone it would work with T-Mobiles service just as if it was a T-Mobile issued phone.

Black07SS

Dec 6, 2007
good info, i am getting a new iPhone on saturday and i am assuming it will be a 1.1.2 phone, and i have AT&T so all i need to do is jailbreak it. is this correct. thanks