Questions about using first generation iPhone in South Africa

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tcc

May 4, 2007
Hi everyone,

Sorry to be a pain, i am banker from South Africa and when i saw the iPhone, my heart skipped a bit.
couple of questions: whats a MSRP?, the edge technology, do we have service providers here in SA that support it? what adjustments do i have to make if i order one, cos i don't think its coming this side any time soon.

thanks

Tcc

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
MSRP = Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price

EDGE = Enhanced Data GSM Evolution, and refers to a particular wireless data transception protocol.

The iPhone is a quad-band device, and African GSM providers should theoretically be compatible with the phone. However, Apple has exclusivity agreements with Cingular in the US and will no doubt pursue the same licensing arrangements with providers in other continents. Apple's official release announcement doesn't mention Africa specifically, which suggests to me that you won't have it available until after the Asian roll-out in 2008. :(

Therefore, the adjustment you'd have to make would be to move to a country where the iPhone is available! Or wait until it's in SA. Or hope that unlocked iPhones find their way to (gray) market.

Welcome to EI.com!

-K

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Hi everyone,

Sorry to be a pain, i am banker from South Africa and when i saw the iPhone, my heart skipped a bit.
couple of questions: whats a MSRP?, the edge technology, do we have service providers here in SA that support it? what adjustments do i have to make if i order one, cos i don't think its coming this side any time soon.

thanks

Tcc
Welcome to EverythingiPhone! We're all newbies until sometime in late June.:cool:

-Chris