Questions and discussion about Beats1, Apple's New Music Streaming Service

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Rafagon, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Some questions about the service:

1. The three month free trial period, does that begin for everyone on the same date (day of launch, presumably?) and then end three months later, or does it start when a user decides to begin his or her trial, and end three months later for him or her?
    2. Why is Apple calling it a "worldwide radio station?" Won't I be able to taylor it to my preferences? If so, then it's not really a worldwide radio station if it plays different songs for different users at the same time.
    3. This won't affect availability of Internet Radio stations via iTunes, will it? I'm referring to these, just in case anyone is uncertain:

Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 12.21.00 PM.png

#1 Rafagon, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Update:

If I'm interpreting this article correctly, then "Apple's New Music Streaming Service" and "Beats1" are two separate things. I think it makes more sense now.

The streaming service is the one you can personalize, and "Beats1" appears to be an actional radio station, in the traditional sense of the word:

"Apple's new 24-hour global radio station called Beats 1 will be broadcast live in over 100 countries, headlined by former BBC radio DJ Zane Lowe alongside other famous DJs from Los Angeles, New York and London such as Ebro Darden and Julie Adenuga. Beats 1 will offer exclusive interviews, guest hosts and keep tabs on what is going on in the music world."​

Thoughts?

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I have my TuneIn Radio Pro and Spotify, so I'm good.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Great app.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I noticed it has my location correct now. After I restored my phone, it showed stations in the Albuquerque area as "local" stations. My IP address shows several locations. Albuquerque, NM and Tuscumbia, AL are the main ones.

6. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

What's streaming? Will it spin on my Rega RP3 turntable?