questions before buying

Jan 16, 2008
NY
Before I buy I need answers to these questions:

• Can you turn off the cell features and keep wifi on so that you can do everything but make calls? I live in an area with really bad cell reception but have wifi in my house. When I go home I'd like to turn off the cell part and retain wifi. Is this possible? Or can you only turn off wifi and cell at the same time (airplane mode)?
  • Can I sync with iTunes at home (for music) and Outlook at work (for contacts/calendar)?
  • If I wind up hating AT&T so much that I do not renew my contract, will the iPhone essentially be an iPod Touch or an iBrick?
Thanks in advance for helping a pre-n00b.;)

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch

• Can you turn off the cell features and keep wifi on so that you can do everything but make calls? I live in an area with really bad cell reception but have wifi in my house. When I go home I'd like to turn off the cell part and retain wifi. Is this possible? Or can you only turn off wifi and cell at the same time (airplane mode)?
  • Can I sync with iTunes at home (for music) and Outlook at work (for contacts/calendar)?
  • If I wind up hating AT&T so much that I do not renew my contract, will the iPhone essentially be an iPod Touch or an iBrick?
You don't need to do anything by turning things off. If ypou are at home the wifi will show up as the biggest signal strength, so edge will turn on when you go out the house.

iPhone is great for syncing with iTunes and outlook etc.

If you decide to leave you still have it like an iPod and still sync with iTunes and outlook etc.

You can check the signal strength of AT&T at your home here

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007

You can not use Wifi while in Airplane mode, or rather, while in Airplane mode if you attempt to use Wifi you will have to come out of Airplane mode.

I sync music on my home PC and Outlook on my work PC.

Without AT&T your iPhone will basically become an iPod touch yes.

Don't let any of this stop you, run out now and buy! :)

Jan 16, 2008
NY
You can check the signal strength of AT&T at your home here
My area officially has Ok cell service. But my house is in a little valley, so cell service is really bad (unless I sit on my roof ;)).

You don't need to do anything by turning things off. If ypou are at home the wifi will show up as the biggest signal strength, so edge will turn on when you go out the house
I figured I won't need to turn off cell, but with every other phone I've owned, bad cell service = quickly drained battery, so I would want to turn off cell while keeping wifi.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
My area officially has Ok cell service. But my house is in a little valley, so cell service is really bad (unless I sit on my roof ;)).

I figured I won't need to turn off cell, but with every other phone I've owned, bad cell service = quickly drained battery, so I would want to turn off cell while keeping wifi.
That may be a concern (although it should still not stop you from buying!) I have poor signal at work and keep my phone in Airplane mode while in the building to keep it from constantly searching for a signal.

Jan 16, 2008
NY
That may be a concern (although it should still not stop you from buying!) I have poor signal at work and keep my phone in Airplane mode while in the building to keep it from constantly searching for a signal.
So I take it you have not found the wifi-but-no-cell mode that I would like. It's all-or-nothing when it comes to wireless. Hrmph.

Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
Just to follow up on the questions posed in the original post. There does appear to be an application in All Packages called "Services." I haven't tried it yet, but screenshots show toggles for turning on and off WIFI, Edge, Bluetooth, and OpenSSH. So appears it is possible to do want you want to do jdmarino. Keep in mind, however, you would need to jailbreak the phone to install this application.

Jan 16, 2008
NY
jailbreak -> iBrick?

Keep in mind, however, you would need to jailbreak the phone to install this application.
I hope that means that once the SDK comes out, there will be a "parole" system that allows a sactioned version of the program to be written.

I'm all for modding (I used to own a Zaurus), but I don't want an iBrick (it's too expensive). Isn't jailbreaking the procedure that can lead to bricking? My only knowledge of this comes from seeing mention of it around here.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I'm not modded but I don't think it's the jailbreaking that "bricks" them, I think it's the unlock.

Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
jailbreaking is perfectly safe, provided you are still running firmware 1.1.2 If you are running 1.1.3 you'd have to wait until the new jailbreak is released, although, I'm seeing a post that says they have actually cracked it, just not released it yet.