Questions before cancelling contract and unlocking iPhone 3G

boslan

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
So guys, my dad just figured out today that the att contract has to include the 30$/month data plan and so we want to return it. But I am willing to pay the 175$ fee to cancel the line and keep the phone and unlock it from there.

Some quick questions;

-If i pay the cancellation fee, does the iPhone 3g become like an iPod touch where i just cannot use the phone, but for emergency calls?
-What are the ways to unlock the iPhone 3g so any carrier can use it, for example my att sim card.
-Does jailbreaking through winpwn unlock my iPhone? because before when i jailbroke my iPhone 3g, there was an option to "activate" something, which i'm thinking is my carrier.

Really, I just want to know how to unlock my iPhone 3g if i were to close the line, but please any help would be great.

-Thank you

boslan

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
Can someone help me please? It would be much appreciated.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
You might want to give people more than 8 hours to respond, particularly since you posted this thread in the middle of the night for most people here. ;)

To answer one of your questions, the 3G iPhone has not yet been unlocked, only jailbroken. If you saw an activate button, it was most likely only applicable to first-generation iPhones running 2.X firmware since they can be unlocked. If you cancel your contract, your 3G iPhone should essentially become an iPod Touch, but you'll have to wait for the hackers to figure out how to unlock it before you can use it as a phone again.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
It's true, no 3G unlock yet. Just remember if you keep the phone you are responsible for the early termination fee and the full price of the phone minus what you paid already ($199/$299, depending on what version you got).

iPhone-v2

Bronze
May 7, 2008
seattle
-What are the ways to unlock the iPhone 3g so any carrier can use it, for example my att sim card.
To answer this question: you don't neet to unlock your iPhone for any att sim card. As iPhone 3g works with any att sim. Just pop in any other sim and try it out yourself

boslan

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
Firstly, i'm sorry for double posting, it's just my dad is really getting on my nerves and wants to know what to do with the phone.

Secondly, so do i have to unlock my iPhone or not? I'm getting two different opinions here. Yes my carrier is att so that means i don't have to unlock it? But what if i had t-mobile or some international carrier, does that mean i do?

Thirdly, I heard you could buy this little sim card thing, that goes in with your carrier's sim card and it "unlocks" your iPhone 3g? Is this true and if it is, any link you guys would suggest?

Lastly, i just want to confirm, that after i pay the cancellation fee which is like 175, the iPhone becomes basically an iPod touch?

Thanks guys, much appreciated

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Any ATT sim will work in iPhone 3G. If you want to use it on another carrier, like T-Mobile, you would have to unlock it, which is not possible yet.

And once you pay your termination fee and the remainder of the full price that you owe (since you want to keep it), it will be an very expensive iPod touch.

boslan

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
Okay then it would be smarter to just pay the termination fee and use my att sim card instead of paying 30$/month which i don't really need. Right?

I was thinking of buying the first generation of iPhone instead, but i didn't think they would have the same specs and functions as the iPhone 3g.

So I would make the right decision right? XD

boslan

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
sorry I gotta bump this. Still have some questions and answers to confirm.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
An iPhone 2g will cost you anywhere from $300-$400 on Ebay, Craiglist, etc. It will cost you in the neighborhood of $600 to keep the 3G. I guess you need to choose which is the more economical choice for you.

On either phone you can use another ATT sim and just turn off Edge (jailbroken) so the phone doesn't receive data.

Does this help you?

boslan

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
Yes this helps me thank you.

But i'm wondering why do you say that to keep my 3G (8gb) would cost around $600? $215 for iPhone 3g and $175 for extermination fee right? So it would be around 400$ right?

But what are the differences with iPhone 2g and iPhone 3g? Cause the main cause i was to get an iPhone 3g instead of 2g was because of the accelorometer, but what other differences are there?

Jun 27, 2007
Yes this helps me thank you.

But i'm wondering why do you say that to keep my 3G (8gb) would cost around $600? $215 for iPhone 3g and $175 for extermination fee right? So it would be around 400$ right?

But what are the differences with iPhone 2g and iPhone 3g? Cause the main cause i was to get an iPhone 3g instead of 2g was because of the accelorometer, but what other differences are there?
No, because as he said multiple times, you are still liable for the difference between what the phone costs and what you paid for it.

The 175$ is AT&T contract termination. You STILL have to pay for the difference in the price of the hardware of the phone, if you keep it. I think the 3G is like 599$ or so (ballpark). So take the 215$ you already paid for the phone, subtract it from 599$, add on the 175$ fee, and there you have your final number.

The only differences between the 2G and 3G are the 3G net speeds, the built in GPS, and smaller differences such as the screen used and battery life. The 2G has an accelerometer. The software is identical.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
No, because as he said multiple times, you are still liable for the difference between what the phone costs and what you paid for it.

The 175$ is AT&T contract termination. You STILL have to pay for the difference in the price of the hardware of the phone, if you keep it. I think the 3G is like 599$ or so (ballpark). So take the 215$ you already paid for the phone, subtract it from 599$, add on the 175$ fee, and there you have your final number.

The only differences between the 2G and 3G are the 3G net speeds, the built in GPS, and smaller differences such as the screen used and battery life. The 2G has an accelerometer. The software is identical.
Absolutely correct.

Full price for iPhone 3g is $599/699 depending on if you have an 8/16gig.

Let's just say you have a 16gig.

You already paid $199 when you got the phone. If you cancel your contract you can either:
a. turn in your phone, pay ETF, and whatever balance you have on your
bill.
b. Pay ETF and pay the balance you owe on the phone and remainder of your bill balance. Here it would
$500 + last bill ($699-$199 you already paid).

So if you want to keep your phone the grand total would be:
$175 ETF+$500 (what you owe on phone)+remainder of your bill
balance = $675+ ... let's not forget state and federal taxes, too.

If you have an 8gig (which i just noticed you said you have) then subtract $100.

I hope this breakdown explains it a little better for you.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I forgot to add...if you want an iPhone and don't plan on using the data plan (jailbreak to use with any ATT sim) then I would just try to find the cheapest V1 phone you can on ebay or craigslist.

Good luck.

boslan

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
Thanks, so i guess i'm gonna get the V1 iPhone. But i don't need to unlock that right?
lol.