Questions on buying an iPhone 3G...

Icealicy

Jul 10, 2008
Yes I have searched to find an answer to the question that I'm going to ask but I did not find the answer, please forgive me.

Anyways, with that aside, I have several questions.

Question 1
My dad has AT T and he is going to upgrade his plan for more minutes and also get a two year contract. Now I am going to buy the iPhone 3G and add a line to his plan.

My question is: does my dad have to upgrade his contract before I buy the iPhone 3G because if I buy the iPhone 3G before he upgrades his contract then I will be locked into his current plan (not upgraded)? Also, I will be allowed to add a new line once he upgrades his contract because I will have a new line added...?

Question 2
I will most likely try to purchase the iPhone 3G at an Apple Store because of hearing the problems that people are having with AT T customer service.

So I chatted (internet) with an AT T Representative today and my question to here was this: because I want to add a new line to my dad's plan (once he upgrades it) can I buy it at an Apple Store or do I have to go to an AT T store? Her answer was that I can go to an Apple Store and buy it, but I would have to activate it at home within thirty days. Is this true? As I had originally thought that you could only walk out of a store with the iPhone 3G activated. However, if you can activate the iPhone 3G from iTunes at home then can you add a new line through iTunes? If so, how does that process actually work?

Thank you very much.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Question 1.
Since you are activating a new line, AT&T will run another credit check on your dad to make sure he is credit-worthy enough to have an additional line activated without a deposit. If accepted, you will get the iPhone at the $199/$299 pricepoint.

Question 2.
If your dad's account is a FAN, he will have to have the FAN removed, prior to going into Apple for your phone, should you choose to go that route. AT&T can handle the FAN accounts, so you might want to go there if your dad gets a discount through work.

You won't be able to walk out of the store without activating the iPhone first. There were activation problems on release day, but that was due to 21 countries trying to activate. Now that stock is low, the system is able to handle activations, so you won't get to take it home to activate.

Jul 19, 2008
What happen whan we cancle the contract?

Hey... guys I heard from some one if you cancel the iPhone 2 years contract before 2 years you have to returned the iPhone to AT&T is that true?
Please any body maybe know about this?
Thanks.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Hey... guys I heard from some one if you cancel the iPhone 2 years contract before 2 years you have to returned the iPhone to AT&T is that true?
Please any body maybe know about this?
Thanks.
Not true, but you will have to pay the ETF.

Icealicy

Jul 10, 2008
Question 1.
Since you are activating a new line, AT&T will run another credit check on your dad to make sure he is credit-worthy enough to have an additional line activated without a deposit. If accepted, you will get the iPhone at the $199/$299 pricepoint.

Question 2.
If your dad's account is a FAN, he will have to have the FAN removed, prior to going into Apple for your phone, should you choose to go that route. AT&T can handle the FAN accounts, so you might want to go there if your dad gets a discount through work.

You won't be able to walk out of the store without activating the iPhone first. There were activation problems on release day, but that was due to 21 countries trying to activate. Now that stock is low, the system is able to handle activations, so you won't get to take it home to activate.
Ok well thanks for that answer but some questions were not answered and I am hoping that someone will.

So about my dad upgrading his plan do I have to have him upgrade his plan first and then buy the iPhone 3G? I think so because if I bought the iPhone 3G first then I don't think my dad could upgrade his plan because my iPhone will be locked to his original plan for two years because I'm going to add a line.

Second, I don't believe my dad has a FAN account. His account/phone is not through a company or anything like that. So because I want to add a new line to his plan can I go to an Apple Store and can they do that for me? Or does AT T handle adding new lines to someone's plan? I would hope that Apple handles buying an iPhone and adding a line on a plan.

Thank you.

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Ok well thanks for that answer but some questions were not answered and I am hoping that someone will.

So about my dad upgrading his plan do I have to have him upgrade his plan first and then buy the iPhone 3G? I think so because if I bought the iPhone 3G first then I don't think my dad could upgrade his plan because my iPhone will be locked to his original plan for two years because I'm going to add a line.

Second, I don't believe my dad has a FAN account. His account/phone is not through a company or anything like that. So because I want to add a new line to his plan can I go to an Apple Store and can they do that for me? Or does AT T handle adding new lines to someone's plan? I would hope that Apple handles buying an iPhone and adding a line on a plan.

Thank you.

You should be able to change the plan at anytime, the iPhone add a line only adds $30 per month for DATA. The plan minutes doesn't matter, but your dad might have to re-sign his two year contract for changing the plan, but i don't know if you do.

BTW my step-mom works at AT&T, and if you ever woundered what AT&T stands for the joke is: At This Time; b/c this is what the tech. is At This Time. It may be diffrent tomorrow. But it really stands for American Telephone & Telegraph. LOL to both.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Sorry, I thought I answered you adequately. So try this....

"So about my dad upgrading his plan do I have to have him upgrade his plan first and then buy the iPhone 3G?"

When you buy the iPhone 3G, your dad will have to change his plan AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE. Your dad will have two options...
1) Start another contract for you, making him get two bills in the mail each month.
2) Change to a family plan, and add you as a second line. $9.99/month plus your $30 data plan.

"I think so because if I bought the iPhone 3G first then I don't think my dad could upgrade his plan because my iPhone will be locked to his original plan for two years because I'm going to add a line."

You can't buy your iPhone first. There is no cash price right now. The pricepoint requires a signed contract on the spot. Even if your dad uses his eligible line to get the $199 pricepoint for the iPhone, he will still have to add a line so that you both have different number. So this option would be a waste of time.

Finally, yes you can add a line at Apple. However, the account holder must bre present and do the purchasing. That means your dad will have to be there too. Oh, and Apple doesn't take cash for the iPhone either. CC, Debit Card, or Apple Gift Cards only.

Now I MUST have answered all your questions this time! LOL

Icealicy

Jul 10, 2008
Sorry, I thought I answered you adequately. So try this....

"So about my dad upgrading his plan do I have to have him upgrade his plan first and then buy the iPhone 3G?"

When you buy the iPhone 3G, your dad will have to change his plan AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE. Your dad will have two options...
1) Start another contract for you, making him get two bills in the mail each month.
2) Change to a family plan, and add you as a second line. $9.99/month plus your $30 data plan.

"I think so because if I bought the iPhone 3G first then I don't think my dad could upgrade his plan because my iPhone will be locked to his original plan for two years because I'm going to add a line."

You can't buy your iPhone first. There is no cash price right now. The pricepoint requires a signed contract on the spot. Even if your dad uses his eligible line to get the $199 pricepoint for the iPhone, he will still have to add a line so that you both have different number. So this option would be a waste of time.

Finally, yes you can add a line at Apple. However, the account holder must bre present and do the purchasing. That means your dad will have to be there too. Oh, and Apple doesn't take cash for the iPhone either. CC, Debit Card, or Apple Gift Cards only.

Now I MUST have answered all your questions this time! LOL
You have answered most of my questions and I thank you for that. I am still confused though.

When you said that he must change his plan at the time of purchase but what if he changes his plan before I buy the iPhone. Just to clear things up my dad is NOT buying the iPhone 3G. He is only keeping his current phone, but is going to upgrade his contract for more minutes and he already has a family plan because my mom is on his plan as another line. So my plan was that before I buy the iPhone which I will once it becomes available my dad would upgrade his contract.

I am confused about this statement you made

"You can't buy your iPhone first. There is no cash price right now. The pricepoint requires a signed contract on the spot. Even if your dad uses his eligible line to get the $199 pricepoint for the iPhone, he will still have to add a line so that you both have different number. So this option would be a waste of time."

I am confused because my dad is not buying the iPhone 3G.

Just to simplify things, 1) can my dad upgrade his plan BEFORE I buy the iPhone 3G (he is not buying the iPhone 3G).

Also, you have answered my question about Apple adding a new line on a current ATT plan at an Apple Store as I thought only ATT stores could add new lines. Thank you.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Yes, your dad can change his plan to a higher or lower family plan any time he wants. That will not hinder you from getting your iPhone.

As long as your dad has good enough credit to get a third line on his family plan, you can get your iPhone no matter when or how he changes his plan or contract date.

Icealicy

Jul 10, 2008
Wow you have been a great help to me. So now I understand everything. I understand that I can buy my iPhone 3G at an Apple Store and add a new line to my dads plan at an Apple Store. I also understand that when they say two year contract that means a two year contract with the carrier (AT T in this case) not two year contract with the carrier + plan which means that you can change your plan at any time as long as you are with the carrier. Also my dad has great credit which is good. Thanks.

Thank you so much!