Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No, not worth it

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

xmarkzdasp0t

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
hey all,
I'm started to think about jailbreaking my iPhone since the SDK programs won't be out for awhile. But i have some questions on it. I currently have the 1.1.4 firmware on mine as well. Here are my questions, they are kinda basic but I couldn't find any info on them.
What is the best way to jailbreak my phone?
Are there any negatives to jailbreaking it? (such as signal weaking etc.)
What are the positives to jailbreaking?
How do I get programs for a jailbroken iPhone?

thank you very much on your help.
-Mark

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
I'll warn you right away that you're going to get nailed for not using the search feature - there's tons of info if you search "jailbreak". :) No worries, I know it's overwhelming when you're not sure which questions to ask, even.

I just jailbreaked last night. ZiPhone.org has the fastest, simplest jailbreak. Watch the video on the home page, download ZiPhone, and once you open it, click on the button that says "jailbreak only". It does it all for you.

If you're 1.1.4 OTB and you're with ATT, it's my understanding that there's very little problem with JB'n it. Obviously, it voids your warranty, but there's always restore for that which will restore your phone to pre-jailbreak condition. Some people have experienced a little instability as far as freezing, bugs, etc, but from what I'm gathering there are fixes, or work-arounds for a lot of the problems. Many people have no probs at all.

As for the pros, there are many more apps and customize options which you'll just have to play around with once you JB. Good luck! :laugh2:

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
^^^^ She summed it up for ya. Nothing to be worried about, I've had a J/B phone since a J/B was available. Booo for stock iPhones.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I'll warn you right away that you're going to get nailed for not using the search feature - there's tons of info if you search "jailbreak". :) No worries, I know it's overwhelming when you're not sure which questions to ask, even.

I just jailbreaked last night. ZiPhone.org has the fastest, simplest jailbreak. Watch the video on the home page, download ZiPhone, and once you open it, click on the button that says "jailbreak only". It does it all for you.

If you're 1.1.4 OTB and you're with ATT, it's my understanding that there's very little problem with JB'n it. Obviously, it voids your warranty, but there's always restore for that which will restore your phone to pre-jailbreak condition. Some people have experienced a little instability as far as freezing, bugs, etc, but from what I'm gathering there are fixes, or work-arounds for a lot of the problems. Many people have no probs at all.

As for the pros, there are many more apps and customize options which you'll just have to play around with once you JB. Good luck! :laugh2:
Buffy is jailbroken - wow. Good stuff. Is there a separate thread on your prisonbreak?

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Buffy is jailbroken - wow. Good stuff. Is there a separate thread on your prisonbreak?
Nope. I just hijacked this one. :p

Edit: What I wanna know is, who voted against jailbreaking in this thread?!

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Nope. I just hijacked this one. :p

Edit: What I wanna know is, who voted against jailbreaking in this thread?!
wow Buffy in the buff jailbroken :eek: I never thought it would come to this. you jail breaking fugitive!

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
wow Buffy in the buff jailbroken :eek: I never thought it would come to this. you jail breaking fugitive!
Smooooth criminal...that's me.

Subliminal Message
join us...Join Us...JOIN US...join us....
Join Us...you know you want to...JOIN US....you're missing out....
JOIN US....

Aug 3, 2007
Umm... I know I'm gonna get shot, for not using the search button *puts on kevlar vest and Kevlar helmet* but while we are on the topic of hijacking threads, might I ask, what can you do with a JB iPhone?
I want to jail break it, but I'm scared... Like what apps/games/cool things could I do to it that would make it more fun/useful?

thanks

xmarkzdasp0t

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
thanks for the responses. i think im starting to lean toward jailbreaking. thanks. =)
And i'm also scared lacrosse lol I'm interested in finding out the same information that you are.

Aug 3, 2007
okay, I just jailbroke mine like 1 hour ago. I like it, its sweet, I have 1.1.4 right now and you can do a lot more. Haven't seen any problems yet, just having trouble getting ROMs to NES and GBA games... i'll figure it out, but yes go for it, you can always restore, just make sure that you have your contacts saved in like a word document or whatever, same with your notes, just in case.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
My vote is and always will be to jailbreak it!

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
okay, I just jailbroke mine like 1 hour ago. I like it, its sweet, I have 1.1.4 right now and you can do a lot more. Haven't seen any problems yet, just having trouble getting ROMs to NES and GBA games... i'll figure it out, but yes go for it, you can always restore, just make sure that you have your contacts saved in like a word document or whatever, same with your notes, just in case.
CONGRATS! My next hurdle is going to be figuring out how to change the colors on the SMS bubbles...

xmarkzdasp0t

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
how do you put different applications onto your iPhone after you jailbreak? this is probably the only question i have left before i jailbreak.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
how do you put different applications onto your iPhone after you jailbreak? this is probably the only question i have left before i jailbreak.
Once you jailbreak, they'll all be there for you to see....you simply click on the one you want to 'download' and then click install....and the app is ready to be used. You'll see once you jailbreak - it's very self-explanatory, trust me.

Doors77

Sep 22, 2007
I must just be stupid but how come when I go to download the ziPhone program it just takes me back to the the http://www.ziPhone.org/ home page? Am I missing something?

Doors77

Sep 22, 2007
Weird it just worked this time but now its brining me to the screen that askes me if im using a mac or a PC and then just brings me back to the homepage again...strange.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
I must just be stupid but how come when I go to download the ziPhone program it just takes me back to the the http://www.ziPhone.org/ home page? Am I missing something?
Right Click and choose "Save Target As..." if you're on Windows, and "Download Link Target" if you're on OSX.

Doors77

Sep 22, 2007
Right Click and choose "Save Target As..." if you're on Windows, and "Download Link Target" if you're on OSX.
yes I already thought of that but when i right click I only get the option to "save image as" or "save link as" neither of those work for me. :(