Quick 3GS jb question

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Jailbreaking a 3GS that is on 3.0.1 with redsn0w doesn't require communicating with Apple's servers, correct?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Thanks.

Is Saurik is still putting the make my life easier feature in Cydia? I'm hoping it's not too late to do that. I have the ECID, iBEC, IBSS files all saved on my HD, but I don't have my ECID on file with Saurik. I'm stock right now and was waiting for the 3.1 (or 3.1.1) JB, but now I'm thinking it would be better to do this now.

My reason is this; Apple isn't signing any signitures below 3.1 when restoring. If any of us that don't have our ECID on file with Sauirk find ourselves in a position where we need to restore (infinite crash loop etc), we will not be able to restore to anything but 3.1 in iTunes. Possibly forever losing an unlock. Or in that instance, would we be able to restore through Pwnage Tool (if the phone was unresponsive) with a modified IPSW?

So, what do you guys think, should I just wait a couple more weeks and jailbreak when the 3.1 or 3.1.1 JB is available, or jailbreak now and get my ECID on file? Either way, I'm going to have to do a full restore to get 3.1.1 anyway since I don't want to update my baseband, right?

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
I am sure Saurik said that he was re launching the ECID thing so 3.1 users could get there ECID on file aswell for the future.

Up to you really if you want to do it now or not. If it was me I would do it just to be safe incase my iPhone ever did need restore before the 3.1 jailbreak for 3GS is released.

What I am worried about with this 3.1 is that if our 3GS ever needs to be sent to Apple to be repaired. They are just going to send a replacement 3GS out which will most likley be updated to 3.1 so there goes the baseband and any chance of unlocking :(

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
I have heard a few people say that it would be a 3.1.1 update for MMS but I would of thought AT&T would just release a carrier file though iTunes.

As 3.0, 3.1 can obviously handle MMS as the rest of the world has it so nothing in the OS should need to be changed.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I am sure Saurik said that he was re launching the ECID thing so 3.1 users could get there ECID on file aswell for the future.

Up to you really if you want to do it now or not. If it was me I would do it just to be safe incase my iPhone ever did need restore before the 3.1 jailbreak for 3GS is released.

What I am worried about with this 3.1 is that if our 3GS ever needs to be sent to Apple to be repaired. They are just going to send a replacement 3GS out which will most likley be updated to 3.1 so there goes the baseband and any chance of unlocking :(
Yeah, I've been thinking about that a lot lately too. I'm wondering if we are going to get to a point when the new iPhones can't be jailbroken/unlocked.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Yeah, I've been thinking about that a lot lately too. I'm wondering if we are going to get to a point when the new iPhones can't be jailbroken/unlocked.
That thought crossed my mind as well. Or the jailbreaking process could become very complicated as you guys say it was in the past. I wasn't impressed with jb at first but as I have gotten used to some of the apps recommended in this forum I know now I would reallyyyy miss being able to jb. Apple still makes money even if people jb or unlock and so do the carriers. Why do they try so hard to stop us! Even those of us still sitting on 3.0 and purp1erain may be forced somehow to upgrade eventually?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Well, if it happens, the V1's, 3G's, and factory unlocked phones will go up in value.

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
I don't think they will ever come a point when the Jailbreaking will be stopped but I think the unlock mabey nearing its end.

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
tho having your files on cydia could cause privacy issues since the server is up 247 . i am still angry i didn't do it, i could havedowngraded and be enjoying a sexy looking fone, instad it is so..... defaulty and boring.