Quick comparison between eWallet vs SplashId (I have both apps)

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by diesel, Jul 21, 2008.

1. diesel

diesel New Member
    Bronze

I purchased both splashid (purchased on launch day) and ewallet (purchased last night) from the app store and here is a quick comparison between the two:

1) ewallet looks much much better than splashid on the iPhone. I love the view of the ewallet "cards" on the iPhone. visually very appealing. also, if you look at the main level titles of records in splashid, you will find that the text/font is somewhat "blurred", possibly even slightly stretched or something, whereas ewallet has very sharp text and sharp icons.

2) splashid allows you to create and edit card "templates" on both the iPhone and desktop versions (and sync between the two). ewallet, as far as I can tell does not currently allow you to create card templates on the iPhone. The card templates are pre-configured. All you can do is select a pre-existing template and add/delete fields from it for a specific record that you are creating. This sucks since there are a few types of cards that I would like to create a template for and re-use that template for that type of record i am storing.

3) splashid has a desktop version that you can wirelessly sync with. the wireless sync works flawlessly (for me). ewallet does not currently have a sync with their desktop version of the software but they are working on it and I believe it is due for release within the next few weeks. Until then, if you are a current ewallet user, expect double entry of data between iPhone and desktop versions, or just wait for the sync piece to get rolled out.

4) splashid has a search feature which for all intents and purposes does not seem to work. it seems to simply filter out any records without the text that you are searching for. even then, it doesn't necessarily bring up a list of search results, you still need to click through the categories. essentially, it does not work. however once they get it to work, search is a great feature to have which ewallet currently does not have.

5) ewallet fields can be further defined such that you can specify a phone field, email field, url field, etc. this then allows ewallet users to click on the phone number within a phone field and the application will automatically begin to dial the number from your iPhone. Same goes for email addresses and urls, once clicked on the app will automatically launch your email program or safari with the email address or url pre-populated. This is something that splashid cannot currently do. I don't even remember the older splashid programs being able to do this so they may never plan for such a feature in the future.

I have used splashid way back in the past (palm vx days) and used ewallet at some point in the past (pocketpc days), so both developers have a long successful history of creating password management apps. Both programs did a great job of allowing you to capture, store, and manage password info back then and still do.

I have decided to go with ewallet, knowing that at some point in the future they will allow custom templates to be created, and a desktop sync is in the works as well. Primary reason for this is purely asthetic, ewallet just looks like it was built for the iPhone whereas splashid looks/feels like a port of the old palm app. In addition, I am eagerly awaiting the release of their listpro (list application) as well. That is another program i used back in my pocketpc days and will most likely be the premier list management application in the app store.

However, you can't go wrong with either ewallet or splashid.

2. lady_bugz22

lady_bugz22 Member
    Bronze

Thanks...I wanted to know what the differences of the two were. I was leaning more towards ewallet. This makes my decision easier.:)

3. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I love ewallet as well.

4. joleson

joleson New Member

I'm a big fan of SplashID. They're iPhone and desktop companion apps are both out now and have worked great for me. Plus, if you have a desktop version of SplashID that syncs with another smartphone platform, then you can download the version that syncs with iPhone for free. Sweet deal.

5. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

Just got eWallet a few day ago and really like it. But it sure would have been nice to have C/P when entering all the info.:p

6. Marianne

Marianne Zealot

Same here - as a desktop app user, I was able to get the iPhone desktop version for free. Syncing is also flawless for me. I think they can and will fix the text blurriness in a future update, but I'm really happy to finally have all of my passwords that I've built up over the years securely stored on my iPhone.

7. diesel

diesel New Member
    Bronze

I think that if you've built up a large database of records under a specific program like splashid over the years, then its a no brainer :)

However, for me i'm starting over from scratch............I have a text file output from my old ewallet from years back that i'm manually entering into ewallet iPhone now (i know i could import this directly into splashid desktop, but i'm going with ewallet) and when the desktop version is ready, hopefully the sync back to the computer will be as easy and flawless as splashid's implementation of sync

8. brian5

brian5 New Member

Having tried eWallet a couple of times on the Palm platform, I have been a long-time SplashID user on that platform. I currently have 1,120 records in it.

My primary place that I use SplashID is on the PC though --- not on the mobile device. SplashID Desktop has worked REALLY well for me --- I think your choice should be weighted towards the desktop version that you prefer. I haven't looked at eWallet's desktop for a while but I wouldn't buy a product that didn't have desktop sync yet.

9. diesel

diesel New Member
    Bronze

that's really subjective now isn't it? some people such as myself view the desktop version as a means of "backing" up what is on the mobile device. The mobile is what I have with me at all times, not my computer. Hence, the mobile version is most important for me as I would imagine some others. though in my case i would prefer to enter my initial hundred or so records via a desktop program as opposed to the iPhone, however for the occasional one off record, the iPhone is fine enough. not fine when dealing with massive amounts of records.

as far as desktop versions between the two, as with the mobile versions, you can't go wrong with either splashid or ewallet. as I mentioned in my original post, both developers have a long track record as far as password management software is concerned, so their desktop versions are more or less reflective of their mobile versions plus additional features you will not find in the mobile version, i.e. import/export capabilities, etc.

I just hope ewallet manages their iPhone sync with their desktop program as well as splashid does right now. And even more importantly, i hope ewallet sufficiently tests the sync process so that all the records i manually typed into the iPhone DOES NOT get erased when syncing with an empty desktop version once their sync is ready. EWALLET, PLEASE MAKE SURE OF THIS! :)

10. brian5

brian5 New Member

Sure, it's subjective. :laugh2: All reviews or opinions are.

11. NateEssex

NateEssex New Member
    Bronze

I went with SplashID as well. I really like the Mac desktop version, which was important to *me*.

12. devesh123

devesh123 New Member

I highly recommend SplashId , because i have used it myself. Browser integration is fabulous. Also it is very easy to use. As soon as you create your account, you can actually set a pattern for splashid login, thereforee you technically have to remember zero passwords. Extremely secure for USB usages as well. highly recommended.

13. Deandre_012

Deandre_012 New Member

I prefer SplashID Safe because unlike your observation that it feels like a port of old palm app, it is very up to date in terms of compatibility with various platforms. In fact, they came up with iPhone 5 version just a day after its release. And, it is highly acclaimed for easy sync and more straightforward password integration system.