quick help on restore as new

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by SweepeR, Jul 25, 2013.

1. SweepeR

SweepeR Member
    Bronze

So I have to restore this crap of a phone as "new" because I am not receiving any calls and Apple genius bar claims i have a bad firmware or something so this is my next step.

So I wil lose only my text messages correct if I do this since I can't restore from a back up.

If there are more items I wil lose please help me.

Also: how can I get my pictures back up? I don't use iCloud because for some reason it always says it is too full.

If I set up as new and do a sync will nothing happen at all? NO apps coming back or settings or anything?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

iCloud syncing of data, contacts, notes, etc. is separate from the iCloud phone backup feature. You can backup in iTunes or not at all and still sync through iCloud. You can also turn off certain apps from backing up or be sure to only backup one device to stay under that 5 GB max if you're close or over the max. If it's just one device, texts (texted pictures and videos specifically), the camera roll or Pinterst are usually the culprits.

So make sure the toggles are on in iCloud syncing before you restore. The only thing you'll lose is texts and some game saves. Some games sync their saves with iCloud through that data toggle. This does not require backing up the phone in iTunes or iClould, it just requires iCloud syncing.

3. SweepeR

SweepeR Member
    Bronze

so how do I save my pictures so they come back? I did a new setup and none of hte pictures came back so I had to do a restore from back up just to do this right.

My icloud wont back up because it says not enough sapce, which is due to the pictures videos so i need to find a way to do this through my computer/iTunes.

one other note, if i restore from i cloud, will that bring my texts back or only iTunes does that? I ask because if so, i wonder if icloud will restore the back "firmware" just how iTunes does.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You need to sync the pictures and videos to your computer. It's always a good idea to transfer them to a computer for safe keeping. You can sync selected pictures back onto the phone after restoring. Your computer should recognize the phone as a camera and allow you to transfer the photos. If this is not happening when you connect, let us know which version of Windows you are using. iPhoto auto opens if you have a Mac.

You can restore an iCloud or iTunes backup without restoring the firmware. Apple advised that you set this up as a new device rather than from backup, so you will lose your texts if you do so. There is no way around that.

5. SweepeR

SweepeR Member
    Bronze

if i restore from iCloud or iTunes backup without restoring firmware doesn't that mean I am not setting it up as anew device?

okay can you help me out with this to make it simple.

1) I have saved my photos to iPhoto on mac, how can I set it up with iTunes so when I click "sync it'll sync my pictures bcak on the phone.

2) How can i do a restore without restoring the firmware? this means I should get my pics texts etc back but that means it isn't set up as a new device correct?

3) do you think the firmware is an issue regarding not receiving phone calls but receiving emails only? because i have seen many peopel with this issue online.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No. They want you to restore the firmware and not use a backup. This is called a factory restore.

1. After the restore, select iPhoto or any other picture folder you want to sync in the photos tab in iTunes and then sync.

2. This is not what Apple is advising you to do, but this is the method:
    Screen Shot 2013-07-25 at 7.56.53 PM.png
    3. Yes, it could be. Have you tried resetting your network settings and a new SIM card?

7. SweepeR

SweepeR Member
    Bronze

1) thanks,
    2) thanks
    3) I have reset that multiple times but not the SIM card replacement.
    4) my messages app shows 4 unread messages but there aren't any unreads there. This has been liek this for almost a year so not sure if there is some sort of corrupt file that might be affecting the incoming phone calls.

8. SweepeR

SweepeR Member
    Bronze

i just got a new SIM as the verizon tech said she feels 90% this is the cause.

If i can figure out how to get my pics back on my phone I'll probably do a new restore.

I got some pics left but its a mess loll

9. SweepeR

SweepeR Member
    Bronze

how can I make sure all of my pics got trasnfered to my computer?

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You'll see them in iPhoto.

11. SweepeR

SweepeR Member
    Bronze

they are all scattered in my iphoto for some reason.

not sure how to track them properly.

12. SweepeR

SweepeR Member
    Bronze

so i changed my SIM card and also di da set up as new on my phone today but only 162 photos from PS come on my phone.

I don't mind losing my text messages anmore but i definiely need my pictures back on my phone.

SHouldn' PS bring all the pictures back?

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

What's PS, the Photoshop app?

No, the only way to get the camera roll back as it was is to apply your backup or email, DropBox, etc. them and save them to the phone individually. If you aren't doing that you'll need to sync them on through iTunes. There is a photos tab in iTunes where you can select folders to sync. You can also select iPhoto.

14. SweepeR

SweepeR Member
    Bronze

PS= photostream.

I did the photos tab situation on iTunes and selected ONLY one folder to load but somehow it loaded my ENTIRE iphoto on my phone and caused a lot of headache.

15. SweepeR

SweepeR Member
    Bronze

like why did only 162 of the photostream pictures load back on my phone and not the 1000 i had beforE?

this phone is truly a headache.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, I would have thousands of pics on my phone if I did that so syncing the whole thing would be a headache for me as well.

What I do is go through iPhoto and copy and paste pics I want on the phone into a folder I created and called "iPhone pictures." I then sync that folder to the phone. I only have to do this once a year when I get a new phone so it doesn't take much time. The rest of the year the pics are in my camera roll.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I wouldn't say the phone itself is a headache; you just have to stay on top of picture syncing.

Photo stream only saves pictures for 30 days. You have to move them to your photo library within that time. From there you have to create a folder, put pictures you want on the phone in it and sync it to the phone.

18. SweepeR

SweepeR Member
    Bronze

So if I want all my photos and videos that are currently in the phone back on the "new setup" version, I can create a folder in the "albuM" area of iphoto, then under devices-iphone, I can copy all the pictures and videos in "already imported" to that folder i just created basically and everythign I haev should be back except it won't be in "photo stream" or "camera' roll" of the phone right? and the videos would be in this album as well on the phone? I think i finally got htis down

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yep. That should work.

20. SweepeR

SweepeR Member
    Bronze

only reason I ask is because somehow I am short like 240 pics/videos when I do that.

Any idea why photostream/icloud only restores 162 of my pics back onto the photostream folder in the phone asopposed to all 1000?