Quick way to migrate from one computer to another?

bigmac

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Los Angeles
Anyone know a quick way to migrate from one computer to another? Is there a way to download music I have already purchased on iTunes? It appears at this time I have to manually cluck every single song and 'add' it to my library. This will take forever! Please help!:mad:

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
When I went from a PC to my current MBP, I used an external HD to transfer music,pics,ect. This worked out real well for me.

bigmac

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Los Angeles
thats what I did, but how do you get iTunes to recognize it? It seems I have to add one song at a time...

How can you recover your old playlists too?

eloi

Sep 17, 2008
Southern California
In iTunes, File-Add folder. If you saved your playlists to your hard drive, they can be opened on the new computer, otherwise they are only saved in the iTunes database.

It's possible to copy the whole iTunes database, but then your music has to all be in the same place(s) on your new computer as it was on the old. If you can do that, get the iTunes database out of your music folder in your profile.

bigmac

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Los Angeles
Can you point me in the direction where I can find my profile?

eloi

Sep 17, 2008
Southern California
In WinXP, under c:\documents and settings\username\my documents\music

In Vista, c:\users\username\music

Please take no offense, but I'm concerned that I may be leading you over your head if you are unable to take it from here. I'd hate to cause you to break your iTunes install or anything. :)