quicktime on i touch?

nic

Sep 18, 2008
am i just too new, or too dumb, but i can't get quicktime videos to play on my i touch when i'm online with safari. did i not install something, is mac gonna make me buy something again, or is just user-error, or something else?

thanks

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
am i just too new, or too dumb, but i can't get quicktime videos to play on my i touch when i'm online with safari. did i not install something, is mac gonna make me buy something again, or is just user-error, or something else?

thanks
Welcome to EIC, Nic.

The iPhone and iPod Touch can only play movies that meet the following requirements:

H.264, MPEG-4 in .mp4, .m4v, .mov formats and audio files in AAC, MP3, M4a, Apple lossless and Audible. Outside these formats, and your device won't be able to play.

Keep in mind if you are trying to stream video, that you are constrained by your WiFi connection. If the video bit rate exceeds the WiFi, video will not play properly, if at all. If you encode a video that exceeds a value such as 1500 kbps, you'll be able to import the video into iTunes, but not sync it over to your device.