Quit on my Sony

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by JFN, Aug 27, 2011.

1. JFN

JFN Member
    Bronze

Apple TV quit working on my Sony projector big screen, but works fine on my Visio! What's up with that?

2. JFN

JFN Member
    Bronze

Found the problem, I bought some cheap Amazon.com HDMI cables and remembering some of the posts I thought I would try a real cable and it fixed the problem so no more cheap cables for me.

3. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I just had the same problem with my hdmi going from my DVD player to my tv. Had a cheap one and needed it so use it and wasn't working. Sucks having to pay 50 bucks for a good quality one but it makes a big difference.

4. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

As long as there is no interference (cable is shielded somewhat well) a cheap and an expensive cable should work the same. HDMI carries a digital signal which means it carries 1s and 0s through it. With HDMI, contrary to what best buy salesmen will tell you, there is no difference on how well it works. If the 1s and 0s make it from sender to receiver, the picture is the same. It either works, or it doesn't. If I were you I would buy a cheap one. No need to spend $50.

5. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

Couldn't have said it better. I get all my HDMI cables from here:http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

6. JFN

JFN Member
    Bronze

I've done the homework, I call BS, not all cables are made the same. The previous is what I thought it took 6 months to raise it's ugly head at the wrong time.

7. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I also disagree. Cheap cables are exactly that. Cheap.

8. Michael Baturin

Gold

Please do some more research. The way the cable is put together and the shielding methods are the ONLY distinguishers of a "good" HDMI cable vs a "BAD" HDMI cable. If you plug a cable in and the picture is there, no amount of money will change what you see. It's science

9. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Why do I need to do more research? I'm not buying cables for you am I? Did u say research because you think it's science?

10. Michael Baturin

Gold

Just trying to save you money that's all. Do what you want. But make sure its shielded with gold, it's a good conductor. makes everything much better quality. [/sarcasm]

11. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I can say I had problem after problem with my Apple TV with my Magnavox TV. Buying new Cables solved all my issues. I also had a cable from Amazon and they are the worst of the worst.

So I firmly believe that certain HDMI cables do make a different.

12. goblues38

goblues38 Member
    Bronze

Citsur96 is 1,000% correct. 1's and 0's. Digital is digital, the cable will either work or it wont work. A $150 6ft HDMI cable will not look on screen any better than a $3 6ft HDMI cable.

I will concede though, that some HDMI cables are made better than others in terms of construction. So if you are constantly plugging in and unplugging a cable, yes, the cheaper one may fail sooner than the expensive one. that may be what happened to you.

But I would still buy 50 $3 cables before i would buy a single $150 one. FYI, cables and interconnects are the highest commission getters for big box stores. They are profit machines.

13. JFN

JFN Member
    Bronze

Well I have 2 Amazon cables I'll sell for $3.00 you pay the shipping, They will not work with my Apple TV, so I bought a $35,00 cable and everything works fine, Would you please explain why this is?