Quiting iPhone, I feel dirty

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

thedwp

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Well, I have taken all I can take...I'm leaving my iPhone. Going back to my X the Blackberry Curve. It all boiled down to email functionality. I am hard-core Apple all the way, my friends can attest to that but when I'm in a pinch and away from a wifi connection my whole businesss world depends on me sending and receiving email.

I am going to keep the iPhone in the fam (giving it to my son)...and I'm still holding out hope for iPhone 2 then I'll jump back on the bandwagon. So fair well for now iPhone....it's been real.

:cool:

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
sorry to see u leave. I'm almost always indoors on a wifi connection, so I've been happy. Things will improve. The iPhone is here to stay.

Last edited by a moderator:

macmanx1

Sep 10, 2007
Western Hemisphere, USA
I too sold my iPhone, fortunately just before the price cut, so I was very lucky and got nearly as much as I had invested. I have found through personal experience with nearly every smart phone made, that the BlackBerry is a world class device that cannot be beat.

I too am a hard core Apple user / customer. I've upgraded to a new Mac Laptop every year for the last 8 years, as I work on a Laptop day in and day out and prefer the Mac. My newest is my second new MacBook Pro that I just purchased. I have several iPods as well. So the only point is that this is not sour grapes or bashing of the iPhone, or Apple, I truly love their products.

However in my case the iPhone did not do the job with email as you have experienced. Fortunately my iPhone was just one of many phones I keep in my inventory and thereforee I could easily return to any of my 3 new BlackBerry's.

Going forward, I have decided to not purchase another iPhone, as I had previously planned to buy a second generation unit. In my years of experience with Apple products I've found that the first version is always a bit buggy and difficult, with the second generation being the really well sorted out bug free model. The MacBook Pro is proof of that. The first one I purchased when they were released, overheated, warped the case, and had other issues. The new one I just got is perfect. Runs quiet, reasonably cool and trouble free, I really enjoy it.

Now that Apple has created the iPod touch, I have no reason to purchase another iPhone. For my usage this is far superior to an iPhone as I will be able to use it independently of the phone, not have to sign another contract, and it will do everything I want it to. While this is a great device, I do not agree with Apples timing, as they are shooting themselves in the foot, or head as the case may be.

Too many people feel the way that I do and the sales of iPhones will fall off when the mainstream people find out about the fantastic iPod touch. This is a brilliant way for them to be able to enjoy a device that may very well be even better than an iPhone. Those people who are with other carriers besides AT&T will not have to worry about losing $175 ETF fee to change to AT&T. They will also take advantage of the iPod touch.

I have a pre-order in for the iPod touch and will enjoy using that in place of an iPhone.

I'm very happy to have dumped my iPhone while it was still worth something. I really feel bad for the people that got shafted by Apples greedy pricing strategy on the iPhone. They created more ill will than they even realize as they are the masters of denial. However Jobs is a very smart and clever person, as he did in fact make a boat load of money for the company and himself. And in the final analysis, it's all about the money. Isn't that right Steve?......:cool:

kency79

Bronze
Sep 2, 2007
Hamilton,NJ
www.myspace.com
You all will becoming back soon and get an iPhone. I have had 20 phones in my life since 1996 and iPhone is so far the best ever phone I ever use. It is not perfect just like other phone but it is way better that others. I don't mind paying $600 again if I have to.

I love my iPhone:laugh2:

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I am not trying to uphold Apple or disagree with you. I only want to make this point. I read the specs of the iPhone before buying. I bet most people didn't read the specs, they just saw a hot item and bought it. The iPhone does EVERYTHING the SPECS said it would do. You can't really be angry (not saying that you are) at something that does not out preform it's specs.

I also believe that a lot of people (and I'm not saying you), now that the newness has worn off, are realizing that they bought a 600.00 phone. Alot of people probably charged it (now the bill is due), or really couldn't afford it. They also realize that they are stuck with a two year AT&T contract, they also are not the only one on the block with an iPhone anymore. People now want to find all these problems with the iPhone and Apple.

The Major indicator that it is not a businesss tool is, you cannot add it to a businesss account. The iPhone is a FUN PHONE, if people would just enjoy it for what it is, and stop crying about updates and so forth. People could then enjoy their 600.00 investment much better. The iPhone is just an expensive toy, treat it as such and it will bring you much enjoyment. Looking to the iPhone as a workhorse, will do nothing but make you hate it. Just my two cents, M

kency79

Bronze
Sep 2, 2007
Hamilton,NJ
www.myspace.com
...it is also glad to see about 4 people so far out of a million that is not happy with the iPhone. I am trying to think how much percent will that hurt Apple on their customer satisfaction... .0000001% perhaps :)

I love my iPhone

iPastor

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Virginia
www.myspace.com
For those that are hardcore emailers, I can understand the switch. Apple has been less than forthcoming with a firmware update to address the fundamental deficiencies. Plus it makes waiting all the harder when there are devices out there that can do exactly what you need.

Marketing strategies aside the iPhone is one clever and innovative device but as with any new tech, the support (or lack thereof) is what will really allow it to standout or fade out. So far the Apple team has exhibited positively EA like behavior when it comes to product support (Airborne buyers have my sympathy) and this is the surest way to negate your own product viability.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I am not trying to uphold Apple or disagree with you. I only want to make this point. I read the specs of the iPhone before buying. I bet most people didn't read the specs, they just saw a hot item and bought it. The iPhone does EVERYTHING the SPECS said it would do. You can't really be angry (not saying that you are) at something that does not out preform it's specs.
LOL. Not only that, but in addition a lot of people DID read the specs and discussed them at great length and STILL they believed that it would have things like GPS, A2DP, MMS, and a coffee dispenser.

Oh and of course everybody assumed (and still do) that Apple would issue a major update. Aside from the wifiTunes one, I don't expect a major update. Not even when OSX is out. If they do, they'll charge for it.

TheJimbo

Sep 10, 2007
Upstate NY
After having used the iPhone for a little over two weeks now, I realize I shouldn't have been so quick to ditch my beloved Treo 700. This iPhone is a major step BACKWARD, technology-wise vs Treo. Examples:

1. Can't change anything on the iPhone (especially sounds for events) unless I hack it, which I have no desire to do. With the Treo I could change ANYthing I wanted to and use any sound I wanted to. Oh there are a handful of ringtones on iTunes, but it means paying for my previously purchased song yet AGAIN.
2. Can't send SMS to multiple peeps at once - I could do this on any previous phone, not just Treo.
3. Can't get MMS pic easily - could also do this on any previous phone - not just treo.
4. Doesn't sync tasks or notes from Outlook - Treo did flawlessly.
5. Can't edit any attached email document - Treo could edit all.
6. Can't swap documents from iPhone to desktop computer - Treo could easily.
7. No copy/paste.

Don't get me wrong, there are many things to love about iPhone - iPod integration and much better web browsing are 2 that come to mind. But c'mon Steve, let us customize this thing! Add features that already exist on other phones!

One point - I agree that reading the specs first is key, no argument there. But I recall Steve saying the iPhone would "revolutionize" cell phones. Uh, not when you leave out features that other phones have had for years! To do so is going backwards on the old evolutionary scale.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I recall Steve saying the iPhone would "revolutionize" cell phones. Uh, not when you leave out features that other phones have had for years! To do so is going backwards on the old evolutionary scale.
You make a VERY valid point. This is a great counter-argument to people telling us not to compare the iPhone to other phones. Steve Jobs started it. He was the first person to make the comparison. Not us.

If you can compare the good parts of the phone to other phones, well you had better be ready and willing to compare the bad parts to other phones too. You have to take the good with the bad.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
If email was your major issue you quit to soon. Since Tuesday when Yahoo! Mail came out of beta my push email has been working flawlessly. I am getting them to my iPhone before they trigger the Entourage pop-up message.

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
$400 for an iPhone is a steal. I went from treos/sidekicks/blackberrys/razr/rizr/krzr etc... and no phone could top my iPhone. It might not be strong in some directions like these other devices but damn it's really the best phone I've owned. Plus it's made in Cali so that is a plus....

mm1250

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
I'm intersted to know why the OP and others had switched back to the Blackberry from the iPhone. I myself had a Blackberry 7100i before. I now have had the iPhone for over 2 1/2 months. I don't see any other phone beating it. I don't see what the BB offered that the iPhone didn't.

bambam26

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'm untested to know why the OP and others had switched back to the Blackberry from the iPhone. I myself had a Blackberry 7100i before. I now have had the iPhone for over 2 1/2 months. I don't see any other phone beating it. I don't see what the BB offered that the iPhone didn't.

Email and not feeling like you are getting kicked in the balls when you have had the phone 2 weeks and the battery won't last a full day an being forced to pay 29 dollars for a loaner just so you can send it back or paying 59 for Apple care so you can send it back. That is part of the reason I am upset. I knew I should not have bought another Apple product, oh did I mention taking another hit on the price of a new screen protector when they replace the phone for something that you did not cause. Apple and these damn batteries, how many ipods have they came out with and they still can't make a battery that will charge like it is suppose to. Lets see what did I miss.... Hmmm also to all the Apple fan boys do not even bother. I can hear you now all phones have there problems, besides the battery most of the complaints are things that were just left out that have been on smart phones for few years now. In the end it is no one's fault but my own...

Vent over thanks for reading I feel better now.

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
$400 for an iPhone is a steal. I went from treos/sidekicks/blackberrys/razr/rizr/krzr etc... and no phone could top my iPhone. It might not be strong in some directions like these other devices but damn it's really the best phone I've owned. Plus it's made in Cali so that is a plus....
Sorry, but it's actually made in China... designed in Cupertino

PS. GO CHARGERS

damstr

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Just goes to show that the iPhone isn't a hardcore PDA device. More of a casual PDA if you ask me. I still have my treo on verzion and for a pda its pretty hard to beat with all of its 3rd party apps. I personally keep all my times for work on the treo and sync it up with my bosses computer which uploads all of my times.

But damn is the iPhone hard to beat in every other category. Love mine and don't see me getting rid of it any time soon unless that is if a large capacity 3G one is released.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Good...Bad, its all relative to the person buying the iPhone, or any phone, which makes this discussion moot.
Example of "relative" for the webster challenged: The sun only sets when seen from the earth, seen from space, it never sets, its reletive to your position. The iPhones capabilities are relative to the individual. There is no good or bad.
And a hardcore emailer would know right away this phone wont meet his needs before even buying it..
Be the Buddha.

TheJimbo

Sep 10, 2007
Upstate NY
Good...Bad, its all relative to the person buying the iPhone, or any phone, which makes this discussion moot.
Example of "relative" for the webster challenged: The sun only sets when seen from the earth, seen from space, it never sets, its reletive to your position. The iPhones capabilities are relative to the individual. There is no good or bad.
Completely agree. The challenge though is if we post hear and say how much we love our iPhone then Apple will have no reason to release updates. If we point out it's shortcomings, then maybe (hopefully) they'll listen and act.