R.I.P. iPhone

rondz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Bay Area
So I went to my cousin's house last night and we watched the Pacquiao vs Barrerra fight and by the time the fight was over my cousin was confused and forgot where he put his phone. I remember calling him earlier before the fight started and he wouldn't pick up the phone. He was driving his rice rocket around the block and after doing some tuning and installing some parts, it turns out that he forgot the iPhone on top of his car when he took his car out for a hard spin to test out the new parts. We back tracked his short run and found his iPhone on the road in one piece. It had gotten run over by a car or maybe even several and it had no signs of life. It looks like it has a cracked LCD screen + some dents on the back. I felt bad, luckily they're only $400 now. He's better off waiting for an iPhone 2 though, it's only around the corner.

I couldn't help but to ask if I can take some pics, so here they are. lol

It sucks!

Last edited by a moderator:

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
"Rumors" claim by the first quarter of next year we'll see one. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I guess it all depends on how much faith you put in rumors. If your cousin waits, he could be waiting a long time.

Still sucks that his phone got crushed. I guess that's why I unconsciously tap my left-front pocket every 90 seconds or so just to make sure my phone is there :sick:

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
"Rumors" claim by the first quarter of next year we'll see one. Correct me if I'm wrong.
yeap thats what i heard the new release iPhone would be release on the first quarter of 2008 and i hope Apple put 3G,cut n paste and call recent call delete features on it:laugh2::laugh2:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Still sucks that his phone got crushed. I guess that's why I unconsciously tap my left-front pocket every 90 seconds or so just to make sure my phone is there :sick:
Haha I do the exact same thing with my right-front pocked and back-right (wallet). I started doing it years ago after I went to Europe for the first time and I kept checking to make sure i hadn't been pick-pocketed. Now I do it for that as well as to make sure my little iPhone is safe.

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
So I went to my cousin's house last night and we watched the Pacquiao vs Barrerra fight and by the time the fight was over my cousin was confused and forgot where he put his phone. I remember calling him earlier before the fight started and he wouldn't pick up the phone. He was driving his rice rocket around the block and after doing some tuning and installing some parts, it turns out that he forgot the iPhone on top of his car when he took his car out for a hard spin to test out the new parts. We back tracked his short run and found his iPhone on the road in one piece. It had gotten run over by a car or maybe even several and it had no signs of life. It looks like it has a cracked LCD screen + some dents on the back. I felt bad, luckily they're only $400 now. He's better off waiting for an iPhone 2 though, it's only around the corner.

I couldn't help but to ask if I can take some pics, so here they are. lol

It sucks!
geez that's bad.. to fixed those i think you would expect to spend at least around $300 and its not worth it because the repair cost is almost quite the same with the new pricing of the iPhone itself.i think u better get a new one

Last edited by a moderator:

ipod classic

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
that's what he gets for driving a rice rocket! Tell him instead of waiting to drop serious cash on iPhone 2, to save up for a real car. J/k there is some truth in jokes though! Ha ha ha

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
wow, that does suck :<

i was thinking about how you said you think it had been run over, but wouldn't that have done some damage to the back(metal) casing? or maybe have smushed it? i have seen pictures of dropped iPhones and they look worse than the one.. maybe it's just the pictures you put up or w/e, but it looks to me that it had just fallen. but now that i think about it, would the iPhone be lifeless after one fall to the ground?.. i need to watch some of those destruction videos i think.

and also, what i would suggest would be that he put it on eBay CLEARLY listing that that iPhone is jacked up but maybe you could get some money off of it? people buy ANYTHING on eBay.. also someone might just read your add wrong and buy it, thus making it THEIR fault they didn't find out what they were buying. and at least this way you can teach them a lesson :)

anyway, good luck to him and whatever he decides to do.

rondz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Bay Area
wow, that does suck :<

i was thinking about how you said you think it had been run over, but wouldn't that have done some damage to the back(metal) casing? or maybe have smushed it? i have seen pictures of dropped iPhones and they look worse than the one.. maybe it's just the pictures you put up or w/e, but it looks to me that it had just fallen. but now that i think about it, would the iPhone be lifeless after one fall to the ground?.. i need to watch some of those destruction videos i think.

and also, what i would suggest would be that he put it on eBay CLEARLY listing that that iPhone is jacked up but maybe you could get some money off of it? people buy ANYTHING on eBay.. also someone might just read your add wrong and buy it, thus making it THEIR fault they didn't find out what they were buying. and at least this way you can teach them a lesson :)

anyway, good luck to him and whatever he decides to do.
Yeah true about the damage. I forgot to mention he had an iSkin on it, so that's why it may not look like it was completely destroyed.

Maahu

Bronze
Sep 19, 2007
Haha I do the exact same thing with my right-front pocked and back-right (wallet). I started doing it years ago after I went to Europe for the first time and I kept checking to make sure i hadn't been pick-pocketed. Now I do it for that as well as to make sure my little iPhone is safe.
You ever hear of this little tap routine? Just before you head out the door for the day: Watch, wallet, spectacle, testicle. It used to be a common saying in a certain European country.

rondz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Bay Area
Just out of curiosity, what's he doing with his busted phone?

I'd love to have one to take apart, if he's wanting to get rid of it.
Trust me, I wanted to take it apart too. He took it to Apple to see what they'd do for him. It turns out that Apple will take the phone + $250 and give him refurb.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Trust me, I wanted to take it apart too. He took it to Apple to see what they'd do for him. It turns out that Apple will take the phone + $250 and give him refurb.
yes thats whay I figured.... Well at least he can get it replaced... I wonder if he can use his $100 credit towards the repair..? Did he even get a credit back?

DrG

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
Yeah - my first thought was, it didn't look as bad as I was imagining it reading the thread. I'm glad he got a replacement for it, at $250, maybe those with bricked phones could also run over theirs and get a replacement with Apple.

rondz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Bay Area
yes thats whay I figured.... Well at least he can get it replaced... I wonder if he can use his $100 credit towards the repair..? Did he even get a credit back?
Yeah he got his credit but used it already.

Yeah - my first thought was, it didn't look as bad as I was imagining it reading the thread. I'm glad he got a replacement for it, at $250, maybe those with bricked phones could also run over theirs and get a replacement with Apple.
Yeah maybe they can. They just have to pretend it got ran over by a car or something with a BS excuse. Maybe rough it up before hand so it's believable. But then again, we might not wanna take advantage of that ability, they might take it away from us if they find out we're tricking the system with hack bricked iPhones.

dseig001

Oct 6, 2007
Yeah he got his credit but used it already.

Yeah maybe they can. They just have to pretend it got ran over by a car or something with a BS excuse. Maybe rough it up before hand so it's believable. But then again, we might not wanna take advantage of that ability, they might take it away from us if they find out we're tricking the system with hack bricked iPhones.

I'm surprised people aren't just throwing them in water or microwaving them and bringing them in