R.I.P., you beautiful piece of computing history

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I thought it might be interesting to have a thread where we discuss any products (hardware or software) and companies that have recently reached end-of-life status. It would be fun to exchange praises and/or peeves about these products.

I can start us off with the sad case of a web browser that recently lost its battle with obsolescence. I reckon few of you have ever even heard of it, and fewer still have tinkered with it. Even though I had a brief period where I installed and kept multiple browsers on my computer (because I'm a geek like that), I can't recall whether I ever used this particular one. I anticipate few tears are being shed over the loss of... the Camino web browser.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Zynga sure knows how to fail. Is there a worse-run company in recent times?

Bye bye, OMGPOP. Good luck to you guys.

I wonder how long the Draw Something 2 app will survive? It's being handed over to the butchers at Zynga, so what do you think? Ten months? A year?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I tried out Camino briefly a few years back. It wasn't bad, but I didn't find anything about it compelling enough to switch to it. Guess not many others did either.

The one I was in serious mourning over for a few weeks is Google Reader, even though it hasn't been offocially put to death yet.

Now I have good replacements so I can just resent Google for killing it and carry on with life as normal. :)