Radio interference from iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ron ll

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
My iPhone causes occasional sqealing and static on nearby radios and on my landline phone. This happens both at my office and at home. Is anyone else experiencing this?

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Thisi s normal and ALL cellphones do this. Not just the iPhone. The speaker inthe device you are near is picking up the communication between your phone and the cell towers.

ron ll

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Thanks. As the iPhone is my first cel phone I didn't realize that. What makes it more annoying on the iPhone tho is when using it as an iPod piped into a radio. I use mine with a Bose Wave radio and generally set the iPhone on top of the radio. I've found this doesn't work. I have to move it as far away as the cord will allow.

volcomguysd

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Thanks. As the iPhone is my first cel phone I didn't realize that. What makes it more annoying on the iPhone tho is when using it as an iPod piped into a radio. I use mine with a Bose Wave radio and generally set the iPhone on top of the radio. I've found this doesn't work. I have to move it as far away as the cord will allow.
Besides moving it far away, you can also turn Airplane Mode ON on the iPhone. Downside is you won't be able to make/receive calls while listening to music, but you won't have anymore interference....

mrtn

Nov 4, 2007
Thisi s normal and ALL cellphones do this. Not just the iPhone. The speaker inthe device you are near is picking up the communication between your phone and the cell towers.
totally disagree...

not sure if you've ever used nokia which doesn't make any radio noises at all

it will take a lot of iPhone evolutions to Apple to get details like this improved

mrtn

volcomguysd

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
totally disagree...

not sure if you've ever used nokia which doesn't make any radio noises at all

it will take a lot of iPhone evolutions to Apple to get details like this improved

mrtn
I disagree with you. You can't point out one phone and call that the standard.

In the past, i've had an LG VX6000, Motorola V551, Motorola SLVR, and LG Chocolate, and now the iPhone. All 5 caused buzzing noises near speakers. (TV, car, stereo, etc). I always knew I was getting a call or text message seconds before the phone actually rang. Hell, I was even dialing a call and could hear the dialing being echoed through my sisters' baby monitor.

This discovery is referred to as "electromagnetic interference". Technically, it's not normal as signals on things such as cell phones and a radio signal are supposed to operate on different frequencies; allowing them not to interfere with one another.

The issue in most cases traces back to the speaker wires. The wires act like antennas picking up stray cell phone signals. The shielding on most speaker wires are too thin to protect against this. Then again, technically it's not even shielding, it's actually just insulation.

Most people deal with this annoyance as they do not want to spend time/money to change out their speaker wire for wire that is actually shielded.

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I heard radio interference from my other mobile devices including Treo, but the iPhone REALLY has a strong interference compared to my other devices.

I can be 10-15 feet away from a radio/speaker across the room and it still interferes sometimes (whereas my Treo had interference only when about 1-3 ft away).

I work in an operating room in a hospital and when the radio station gets all screwy from my iPhone (in my pocket), I pretend I have no idea what is going on when everyone is trying to figure out why the station is not coming in clearly.... :cool: I wonder if it can affect/interfere with any medical devices...

volcomguysd

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I heard radio interference from my other mobile devices including Treo, but the iPhone REALLY has a strong interference compared to my other devices.

I can be 10-15 feet away from a radio/speaker across the room and it still interferes sometimes (whereas my Treo had interference only when about 1-3 ft away).

I work in an operating room in a hospital and when the radio station gets all screwy from my iPhone (in my pocket), I pretend I have no idea what is going on when everyone is trying to figure out why the station is not coming in clearly.... :cool: I wonder if it can affect/interfere with any medical devices...
You work in a hostpital and they don't tell you to leave them in your locker? Every time i've gone into hospitals in the San Diego area, i'm always asked to leave it at the desk. One time I got curious and asked a nurse. I told her I was not arguing with her, but rather just curious for information as to why.

She stated that a lot of hospitals use a radio transmission in the rooms on the boxes that show the patients blood pressure, heart rate, etc. She pointed to a black plastic antenna on top of a box and said that all of the information is transmitted wirelessly back to the nurses station where they monitor the patients. She said that, at time, a cell phone signal could interfere this the radio signal used.

Just hope no one is interfering with a signal while someone is going into a cardiac arrest or something! :laugh2:

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I've read this on several forums in which this happens a lot to GSM firms and rarely to CDMA.

I know I can have my iPhone and Treo755 sitting right next to each other and can tell that the annoying sound I just heard was caused from the iPhone.

TheJimbo

Sep 10, 2007
Upstate NY
It happens with my iPhone often. Most annoying? The radios in both my truck and SLK. And I have the iPhone some two feet away from my truck stereo, yet it still interferes big time.

None of my previous CDMA phones did this. Luck? Coincidence? Maybe, but it was never an issue before the iPhone.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I work in a studio, and I have to keep my iPhone in a "safe spot" in the control room so that it doesn't interfere with the speakers or the headphone system. Using Wifi to surf helps a lot, because that uses a higher frequency band than the cellular range and I've never heard it picked up audibly.

Interestingly, the noises I hear never actually make it into the recording, unless the guitar player happens to have his phone right on his amp.... that can be ear-splitting when you're cutting metal at high gain! But the noises are distracting if the musicians hear them in their headphones while recording, hence the safe spot. Fortunately, it's still within arm's reach from the sweetspot between the speakers.

electoman

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Funny, but I never hear this from my iPhone and it is next to my speakers in my office. Never hear it in the car where other phones did. My old company NeverTalk did it a lot. Maybe I learned to tune it out an don't even notice anymore.

dustyns

Mar 5, 2008
radio interference

I know that other phones definitely interfere with the radio but I must say that the iPhone interferes the most out of any phone ive ever had (and ive had my fair share of phones). I can tell 5 seconds in advance when I'm getting a call or text. Not only that but the phone can be sitting 3 to 5 feet away from my radio, speakers, laptop, etc. And I still hear interference!

coal0101

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007

Is it the fault of the phone or cheap or open speakers poorly shielded. Not trashing anyone's speakers since I don't actually know why some cause it more than others but I notice it more around cheap radios/cheap speakers. No issues in my car.