Radio station on iTunes to iPhone

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by nikkorman, Jan 24, 2009.

1. nikkorman

nikkorman New Member

There are some pretty sweet radio stations on iTunes. Can I somehow get those to my iPhone?

2. Picazzo

Picazzo Zealot
    Gold

Nope - you'll have to buy an Radio app in AppStore or getting JB for this.

Personally I use Wunder Radio - read about it here.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

WunderRadio is my favorite as well.

4. kadeschs

kadeschs New Member

Is it free?

5. Picazzo

Picazzo Zealot
    Gold

No, the Wunder Radio cost $5,99 ...that's not cheap, but it works super!

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I have an AUX jack on the front of my car's HD radio, and sometimes I'll plug my iPhone into it and listen to WunderRadio. It's great.

7. Picazzo

Picazzo Zealot
    Gold

Great way to listen to Wunder Radio's!

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It's great when I want to listen to a Boston station or Coast To Coast AM and I'm in Maryland. The app is totally worth paying for.

9. TheLex

TheLex Member
    Bronze

I've been using wunder radio for several months, but I frequently experience a station stopping or not starting. Altho it has a limited station selection, I've found aol radio to be much more stable and reliable.

Lex

10. kadeschs

kadeschs New Member

My solution is streaming the radio stations wirelessly from my PC to my iPod Touch using TVersity. I can pretty much pick ANY stations that I want from the Internet. I'm not bound to any particular app. If Windows Media Player can play it, so can my iPod. It's not limited to just audio either. You can stream video as well. However, it needs to transcode the video into MP4 first before streaming it to the iPod due to Safari's shortcomings of video streams. (Thanks again Apple. hehe)

11. danf

danf New Member

Yes, you can! I just discovered this myself. It's a tad involved, but if you have a list of stations you listen to regularly, it's worth the effort.

First, make sure you are syncing your bookmarks. Click on your iPhone (or iPod touch) in the Devices section in iTunes. Click the Info tab and scroll down to Web Browser. Check the box and select the web browser you use.

Create a playlist in iTunes. Drag the streams you want into the list. For each stream, select Get Info (Command-I on Mac, or Ctrl-I on Windows). Click on Edit URL, then copy the URL to the clipboard. Go to the web browser you selected above, and add a bookmark for that URL. I put all mine into a folder called "streams" to make it easy to get to on my phone.

Now sync your iPhone, then open the browser on it. Click on Bookmarks (open book icon) and click on the stream you want. VoilĂ !

12. danf

danf New Member

I should have mentioned that the method I posted allows you to listen in the background, however, you won't be able to use the web browser while listening (because you have to click the Done button to stop the stream to get a browser window). It's also free and does not require jailbreaking.

13. MarcShepherd

MarcShepherd New Member

Excellent solution! I tried it and it works. I simply choose the radio stations I like listening to and set it up. Thanks for the advice. It really is a clever workaround.

14. uRabbit

uRabbit Member
    Bronze

One of the simple and awesome features that Apple has left out of the iOS is the iTunes Radio...

15. impossibletoforget

impossibletoforget New Member

Here is a relatively easy solution:
    1. Copy the url of the station in iTunes (right-click on station name and choose 'Get Info')

2. Create a new text document and write the name of each station on one line and paste the corresponding url on the next line. Your text file should look something like this:

[[Radio Bach]]
    http://pri.kts-af.net/redir/index.pls?esid=b6b875d6d258d72bd83fa0e5d5369870&url_no=1&client_id=7&uid=68efed4d03ec7e45fd3978262c107180&clicksrc=xml

[[Radio Chopin]]
    http://pri.kts-af.net/redir/index.pls?esid=efcaf9dab5da20dd3cf348041eb1e6b8&url_no=1&client_id=7&uid=68efed4d03ec7e45fd3978262c107180&clicksrc=xml

[[Groove Radio]]
    http://pri.kts-af.net/redir/index.pls?esid=b1c275c9ac918da1ce154df3f665a7ca&url_no=1&client_id=7&uid=68efed4d03ec7e45fd3978262c107180&clicksrc=xml

3. Save the text file with a simple name like 'Radio.txt' to your Dropbox folder.

4. Once you open the file on your iPhone's Dropbox, the urls will be highlighted, just click on the one you want and Dropbox will automatically launch the iPod app for you and start streaming.

Cheers

16. uRabbit

uRabbit Member
    Bronze

Dropbox...?

Also, opening the links in your post in the iCafe app opens the stream in Safari.

edit: Okay, so I figured you meant the Dropbox service. It still just opened Safari. Not much use if it plays in Safari, as you cannot use Safari for browsing with it playing.

17. impossibletoforget

You are right uRabbit; my bad.
    I did, however, find that the free app called TuneIn Radio can do the trick.
    You have to add the url as a 'custom URL' in the 'My Presets' tab, and then add the stream as a favorite by pushing the heart icon on the top-right portion of the streaming page.
    Of course the last method I suggested can work if one is willing to surf in Opera which is not even my own favorite choice!

18. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I use an app called TuneIn Radio Pro. I Think there's a free version as well. It's great. Clear Channel Communication recently forced their stations to be pulled from this app. For those ones there is an app called iHeartRadio. But I really like TuneIn. One thing I can do with it is tune in a show, and if I'm gonna be away from my desk for a meeting or something, I can turn the volume down, but record it. Then come back and listen at my leisure. My brother in law clued me into this app. He paid about 5-6 bucks for it. I got it for 99 cents when I bought it. Screamin deal.

19. uRabbit

uRabbit Member
    Bronze

I have TuneIn (free), but I don't think there is the option to put in your own URL. Also, cannot find 'Tuner Radio'.

20. impossibletoforget

Sorry again uRabbit. It's called TuneIn Radio, not Tuner Radio. I guess I should really pick up some reading glasses!
    Thanks for monitoring these posts!