Raided the Apple store on my way home...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
...ended up purchasing the Vmoda vibe duos with the new clicker, a black Agent 18 case, and a crystal film set.

Many pics and reviews to follow, i promise!

EDIT:

Ok, so my nightclass teacher mercifully let us go early tonight, so after hearing reports that the Apple store was selling the Vmoda Vibe Duo headphones, i decided to run by on my way home to check. They did (obviously), and while i was there, i checked out the cases they had in stock, and they had the Agent18s that i have been thinking about... in both colors. I scoped it out, and decided to give it a shot (i'm impulsive, what can i say?). I've been neglecting purchasing a case for SO long because i've been waiting for the PERFECT solution to come along, and i finally accepted the fact that the iPhone is so unique in its design, there isn't going to be a case to cover EVERY facet of its design... Based on my needs i decided on the Agent18 over the iSkin Revo (i'm a HUGE iSkin fan) and Seidio slim rubberized. Anyway, more on the details later.

So, when i buy new toys, i HAVE to open them and check em out right away. Upon leaving the store, i tear open the Agent18 case first because it was the easiest to open while walking, and had the thing on the iPhone before i got to my car. Initial impressions were pretty much what i was expecting: a plain, sleek look that compliments the iPhone. I was, however, expecting a more reassuring "clip" to hold both pieces together, but i haven't had any problems so far.

Once in my car, i opened up the headphones and plugged them in. Now, bear in mind i will be comparing these to my previous set which were the Shure [looking for the model right now]. They are very similar in build and sound quality, but i give the slight edge to the Vmodas. The Shures were more comfortable due to a more ergonomic design, and had a clearer high-end frequency spectrum. The Vmodas are not in any way uncomfortable (quite the contrary... just not as much as the Shures), and they have a much deeper bass response.

As a side note here... being that up until tonight i didn't have a set of decent headphones with a functioning clicker, i haven't been using the ipod too much. So i have a question: Why is there not a custom EQ? I realize there never has been one on ipods of any kind, but with the iPhone open to 3p devs, what is the hold up?

A few other little things about the headphones... the clicker has worked perfectly so far, although i have not had a chance to answer a call yet. The pause and skip button combos have been flawless.

Also, the chord length is perfect for me. Just enough to get the phone in my pants pocket with a little slack. As pictured, they came with a little pouch to carry the phones and the extra ear fittings in. It looks like i was supposed to get a set of small, medium, and large fittings in black AND clear, but i only got one small black one, but three medium black ones. No biggie, i use the larges anyway... and even if you did need a small set, there is a full set of small clear fittings.

Now, obviously, i didn't mess with the crystal films until i got home. The first one i THOUGHT i applied ok (no dust or bubbles or anything), but when i tried putting the Agent18 case back on, it was pushing one side back and up because it was overhanging ever-so-slightly onto the chrome bezel. So, i tried lifting it up and realigning, but it slipped and fell onto the carpet (yeah, fibers all over it). So, strike one of two. Needless to say, i was much more careful with the second (and last) of the films. I think it took 7 or 8 re-applications to get it aligned such that it didn't overhang onto the bezel, but in the end it worked out ok. After applying, i immediately noticed that (except for the very small areas around the springboard button, edges, and speaker hole), you can barely even tell it is on there, and it does not make the screen sticky to touch AT ALL.

For more details about the case, see my post directly after IndyJonez's below this one.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Now for the details about the Agent18 case. I really, really, really like it. Much more than i thought i would. The only problems for me are that it only very slightly inhibits access to the right and left edges of the iPhone's screen (but i think ANY other case would not be any better in this area). Because it only covers the chrome bezel, the bottom and top edges of the screen are still free. And, no, it does not COMPLETELY cover the bezel, so it is still slightly visible.

The texture is smooth, which i like, because i keep my phone in my pocket. All buttons and the dock are very easily accessible (even with my fat fingers)... and i can even use the included Universal Dock adapter, which is a HUGE plus.

So, i am extremely happy with these purchases. not only will i gain peace of mind with the extra protection, but (i think) it looks cooler, AND i will get more use out of my ipod with the better (and more versatile) headphones.

I highly recommend each of these items.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Good job with the pics and reviews man, makes me wish I had it! Nice to see you're enjoying them so much!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
thanks... i know how difficult is to find reliable reviews of accessories, so i tried to do my best. It got to the point where i didn't know what to believe anymore, so i just decided to take the plunge, and i think it's gonna work out just fine.

by the way, there were some picks in my pics. Funny you should play off of that pun before i posted the photos.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
thanks... i know how difficult is to find reliable reviews of accessories, so i tried to do my best. It got to the point where i didn't know what to believe anymore, so i just decided to take the plunge, and i think it's gonna work out just fine.

by the way, there were some picks in my pics. Funny you should play off of that pun before i posted the photos.
Hehe, gotta be quick round here...;)

jlskmi

Sep 17, 2007
Question

Does anyone know if the Agent 18 case will work with the Seidio holster that is designed for their slim case. I have the Seidio combo & like it but I really like the looks of the Agent 18. Thanks, Jim.

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
Does anyone know if the Agent 18 case will work with the Seidio holster that is designed for their slim case. I have the Seidio combo & like it but I really like the looks of the Agent 18. Thanks, Jim.

no, it wont work. too thick for the holster.

LMen

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
Atlanta
www.studiomendoza.com
Great review, I've had the same case for about 2 weeks and I think it's the best!
Question though, and sorry for appearing ignorant, but what dock is that in your pictures? It's not the standard out of the box iPhone dock is it? It can't be or i would feel soo inadequate:eek:.
Thanks!

dseig001

Oct 6, 2007
Great review, I've had the same case for about 2 weeks and I think it's the best!
Question though, and sorry for appearing ignorant, but what dock is that in your pictures? It's not the standard out of the box iPhone dock is it? It can't be or i would feel soo inadequate:eek:.
Thanks!
Thats the standard Apple Universal Dock

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
What's the deal with the clip near the headphones? Is it for clipping the cord to your shirt or something?

I have some Rivet headphones now and really like the lanyard style they use, I walk my mutt through the woods a lot and don't like branches & stuff pulling the buds outta my dang ear-holes!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Thanks!

It's the universal ipod dock. It accepts adapters to fit any generatio and variety of ipods. It was not made with the iPhone in mind, but agent18 had enough attentio to detail to include an adapter with the case.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
That case is nice.
But it still falls under my gripe about all cases:
It doesn't show the Apple logo. This is why I can't stand to use cases.

I don't want that tree logo there. "Agent18" isn't that bad, because it's kinda cool, but I want my Apple logo. However, if I were to get a case, this would be the one.

Boosted_Brian

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
BTW those tiny red Jazz picks are the best I have every used. Never went back to anything else after playing with those for about an hour.

PS nice setup too!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
That case is nice.
But it still falls under my gripe about all cases:
It doesn't show the Apple logo. This is why I can't stand to use cases.

I don't want that tree logo there. "Agent18" isn't that bad, because it's kinda cool, but I want my Apple logo. However, if I were to get a case, this would be the one.

i want one.

Last edited by a moderator: