Ram cleaner

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I wouldn't recommend any sort of cleaner for your phone. iOS handles memory allocation quite well and IMO, a memory cleaner would get in the way.

lancer_325

Bronze
Jun 9, 2010
I wouldn't recommend any sort of cleaner for your phone. iOS handles memory allocation quite well and IMO, a memory cleaner would get in the way.
Thanks for that. Mite give it a miss so.

rugved1118

Silver
Sep 27, 2013

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
You could accomplish the same results more or less by just closing background apps. Double press the home button to see apps that are currently running and swipe up on the app you want to close.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You could accomplish the same results more or less by just closing background apps. Double press the home button to see apps that are currently running and swipe up on the app you want to close.
The task switcher doesn't show you which are running and which are closed. It shows everything you've opened until you remove it. They close after a certain amount of time, after reboots and when the phone needs to allot memory to another app that is currently being used, but they remain in the task switcher tray. Aside from installing a jailbreak tweak to differentiate the two modes, there is no way to tell if they are closed out completly unless you open them to see if they fully open.

I agree that those apps are a waste of space, though. You can achieve the same results by rebooting.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
The task switcher doesn't show you which are running and which are closed. It shows everything you've opened until you remove it. They close after a certain amount of time, after reboots and when the phone needs to allot memory to another app that is currently being used, but they remain in the task switcher tray. Aside from installing a jailbreak tweak to differentiate the two modes, there is no way to tell if they are closed out completly unless you open them to see if they fully open.

I agree that those apps are a waste of space, though. You can achieve the same results by rebooting.
I downloaded CM Security to check it out. Rebooting will not achieve the same results. Mostly what this app does is delete cache from apps. Rebooting won't do that. So if the Facebook app has grown to 300 mb, CM Security will clean it down to about 119 mb. I've checked this thoroughly. It clears the cache of the eiC app as well. It does not seem to affect the stock apps. Safari remains the same. So, as far as I can tell, it just clears cache from apps. When I started using it I had 4.9 gb available space. After a few days use, I was up to 6.2 gb available. That's 1.3 gb of cache. I probably needed to keep some of that. :) I can't really tell what it does with the RAM memory boost thing. That you probably can achieve by rebooting.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I think it is just a safer option to let the OS handle any sort of cleaning. In my own experience, I've had only a couple issues where I had several apps open and the phones was running slow. I still occasionally close down apps if I have 15-20 open at a time. Rebooting is another way to clear the cache in apps and also quickly free up memory. Either way, these cleaners in the long run could be doing more harm than good. I use to run one or two on my old phone (back when I was using Android) and it caused more problems had I just let the OS do its work.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I think it is just a safer option to let the OS handle any sort of cleaning. In my own experience, I've had only a couple issues where I had several apps open and the phones was running slow. I still occasionally close down apps if I have 15-20 open at a time. Rebooting is another way to clear the cache in apps and also quickly free up memory. Either way, these cleaners in the long run could be doing more harm than good. I use to run one or two on my old phone (back when I was using Android) and it caused more problems had I just let the OS do its work.
Rebooting does not clear cache in apps. But you're right about the rest. :)

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
Rebooting does not clear cache in apps. But you're right about the rest. :)
You're right. You would have to manually delete the cache for the app. I was thinking that a reboot would just clear out everything including cache.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I downloaded CM Security to check it out. Rebooting will not achieve the same results. Mostly what this app does is delete cache from apps. Rebooting won't do that. So if the Facebook app has grown to 300 mb, CM Security will clean it down to about 119 mb. I've checked this thoroughly. It clears the cache of the eiC app as well. It does not seem to affect the stock apps. Safari remains the same. So, as far as I can tell, it just clears cache from apps. When I started using it I had 4.9 gb available space. After a few days use, I was up to 6.2 gb available. That's 1.3 gb of cache. I probably needed to keep some of that. :) I can't really tell what it does with the RAM memory boost thing. That you probably can achieve by rebooting.
How is that mostly? It's just one thing it doesn't do. And it's something I'm glad it does not do it. There's a reason Apple made it that way. It's a nuisance to constantly have to rubuild the cache for apps. When you actually use these apps again, the space will start to climb right back up to where it was. It's false reassurance that you've gained space.

Is your free memory space so low that it is actually affecting your phone's performance or are you just obsessing about the number? Either way, you will soon be right back up to that same amount in the cache and you'll have to continuously use this app to get to back down. It should close out backgrounded apps to free space when necessary. The iPhone is designed to manage its own memory and it does a great job. You're better off letting it handle it on its own than trying to take it into your own hands.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
How is that mostly? It's just one thing it doesn't do. And it's something I'd rather not have it do. It's a nuisance to constantly have to rubuild the cache for an apps. When you actually use these apps again, the space will start to climb right back up to where it was. Rebooting that actually affecting your phone's performance or are you just obsessing about the number? Either way, you will soon be right back up to that same amount in the cache and you'll have to continuously use this app to get to back down. If you are that low on free space you might want to consider a device with a higher capacity. Getting a device with a low amount of storage space can lead to a constant battle of trying to keep a usable amount free.
Yes, you're right. I was just curious about what it did. I'm fine with space. I've already deleted it. I will, however, get an iPhone 6 with at least 32 gb. Maybe 64 gb if my wife doesn't gripe about the price. But I wouldn't want to clear all cache from every app that way.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Yes, you're right. I was just curious about what it did. I'm fine with space. I've already deleted it. I will, however, get an iPhone 6 with at least 32 gb. Maybe 64 gb if my wife doesn't gripe about the price. But I wouldn't want to clear all cache from every app that way.
It's RAM, not storage space, so you're thinking along the wrong lines. Cache affects RAM.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I just edited my post a bit to go into detail about the RAM. That's what's relevant here rather than storage space.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I'm surprised Apple allowed this app in the AppStore. I'm not against it but I thought these types of apps only existed for the resistance because tweaks allow users to truly run apps in the background which bypasses the iOS RAM management. I have something similar on my Android devices because Android doesn't manage RAM as well as iOS.

Update:

Just tested the app and it looks like it also deletes junk files from storage as well as RAM.

Before

After

LOL... after doing some digging, I just found out this is the same dev that makes the app I have on my Android devices. The app is called CleanMaster which is what CM stands for. I knew it looked really similar. I feel better now because the Android community swears by this app to keep their devices running optimally.

Last edited: