Ram cleaner

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by lancer_325, Mar 24, 2014.

1. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

2. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I wouldn't recommend any sort of cleaner for your phone. iOS handles memory allocation quite well and IMO, a memory cleaner would get in the way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Thanks for that. Mite give it a miss so.

4. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Woow.. I just tried. I like it. Mine was 76% used and it cleaned upto 37%. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe Forums

Proud owner of iPhone5, iPhone4 and ipad2-wifi+3G

5. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

You could accomplish the same results more or less by just closing background apps. Double press the home button to see apps that are currently running and swipe up on the app you want to close.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The task switcher doesn't show you which are running and which are closed. It shows everything you've opened until you remove it. They close after a certain amount of time, after reboots and when the phone needs to allot memory to another app that is currently being used, but they remain in the task switcher tray. Aside from installing a jailbreak tweak to differentiate the two modes, there is no way to tell if they are closed out completly unless you open them to see if they fully open.

I agree that those apps are a waste of space, though. You can achieve the same results by rebooting.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I downloaded CM Security to check it out. Rebooting will not achieve the same results. Mostly what this app does is delete cache from apps. Rebooting won't do that. So if the Facebook app has grown to 300 mb, CM Security will clean it down to about 119 mb. I've checked this thoroughly. It clears the cache of the eiC app as well. It does not seem to affect the stock apps. Safari remains the same. So, as far as I can tell, it just clears cache from apps. When I started using it I had 4.9 gb available space. After a few days use, I was up to 6.2 gb available. That's 1.3 gb of cache. I probably needed to keep some of that. :) I can't really tell what it does with the RAM memory boost thing. That you probably can achieve by rebooting.

8. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I think it is just a safer option to let the OS handle any sort of cleaning. In my own experience, I've had only a couple issues where I had several apps open and the phones was running slow. I still occasionally close down apps if I have 15-20 open at a time. Rebooting is another way to clear the cache in apps and also quickly free up memory. Either way, these cleaners in the long run could be doing more harm than good. I use to run one or two on my old phone (back when I was using Android) and it caused more problems had I just let the OS do its work.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Rebooting does not clear cache in apps. But you're right about the rest. :)

10. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

You're right. You would have to manually delete the cache for the app. I was thinking that a reboot would just clear out everything including cache.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

How is that mostly? It's just one thing it doesn't do. And it's something I'm glad it does not do it. There's a reason Apple made it that way. It's a nuisance to constantly have to rubuild the cache for apps. When you actually use these apps again, the space will start to climb right back up to where it was. It's false reassurance that you've gained space.

Is your free memory space so low that it is actually affecting your phone's performance or are you just obsessing about the number? Either way, you will soon be right back up to that same amount in the cache and you'll have to continuously use this app to get to back down. It should close out backgrounded apps to free space when necessary. The iPhone is designed to manage its own memory and it does a great job. You're better off letting it handle it on its own than trying to take it into your own hands.

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Yes, you're right. I was just curious about what it did. I'm fine with space. I've already deleted it. I will, however, get an iPhone 6 with at least 32 gb. Maybe 64 gb if my wife doesn't gripe about the price. But I wouldn't want to clear all cache from every app that way.

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It's RAM, not storage space, so you're thinking along the wrong lines. Cache affects RAM.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I just edited my post a bit to go into detail about the RAM. That's what's relevant here rather than storage space.

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It does both. It clears cache from apps and does the RAM thing. I only got it to see just what it did. I'm in total agreement with Europa.

16. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I'm surprised Apple allowed this app in the AppStore. I'm not against it but I thought these types of apps only existed for the resistance because tweaks allow users to truly run apps in the background which bypasses the iOS RAM management. I have something similar on my Android devices because Android doesn't manage RAM as well as iOS.

Update:

Just tested the app and it looks like it also deletes junk files from storage as well as RAM.

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

LOL... after doing some digging, I just found out this is the same dev that makes the app I have on my Android devices. The app is called CleanMaster which is what CM stands for. I knew it looked really similar. I feel better now because the Android community swears by this app to keep their devices running optimally.

#16 ZR_Yancy, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014