Random Safari and iPod crashes

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Hey guys, I recently jailbroke my 1.1.1 iPhone and lately Im getting a lot more crashes then before. I installed Summerboard, maybe that is causing the problem. But randomly, my iPod will all of a sudden stop playing, or my browser will crash. Im uses to the browser crashing, but not this often.
Anyone else having this issue after jailbreaking?

jbarrack

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
New York
www.facebook.com
I am having the same exact issue. At first my Jailbroke 1.1.1 worked awesome. Now even my original apps from Apple seem to crash all the time and I have to soft reset. Ill live with it because I love my apps but its very annoying. Even when its set for a long period of time ill come back to it and almost every program crashes.

GP1138

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Jailbroken 1.1.1 here, and I have the opposite. Safari in particular seems much more solid than before. iPod as well, and the only 3rd party app that seems to crash on a regular basis is Tap Tap Revolution, which was utterly unstable on 1.0.2.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Mine is still doing this but not as frequently. Sometimes my mail will crash and I keep trying to bring it back up, it wont come up without a reset. I don't think its worth restoring though.

jbarrack

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
New York
www.facebook.com
I have been experimenting with my phone. I find that the phone doenst crash as much if you have no wallpaper on your springboard. It sounds crazy but for some reason its working for me. I took my wallpaper off last nigth (just in smb prefs switched wallpaper to off) to test it out and sure enough not one crash today and I have been on it non stop. Yesterday was when I changed my wallpaper and I liked how it looked on my springboard so I left it. Thats when I started having the problems ... Or maybe my phone just had somthing up its ass yesterday ... because it was crashing every 5 minutes.

bubble

Dec 5, 2007
Berne, Switzerland
As my iPhone (got it three days ago, already unlocked and Installer installed, version 1.1.1) has got the same instability problems, I intended to give jbarrack's hint a try. Unfortunately, I can only choose other wallpaper pictures. There's no possibility to turn off the wallpaper in my wallpaper settings.

So please, iPhone rookie needs your directions...

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Make sure you don't have Dim Wallpaper on in SMBPrefs. That is known to cause a lot of crashes.

Is there any reason why you don't want to upgrade to 1.1.2? I know it fixes a lot of those issues.

bubble

Dec 5, 2007
Berne, Switzerland
Summerboard? I only chose a wallpaper using the general iPhone settings (settings -> Wallpaper). There isn't any option to get back to no wallpaper. Deleting the wallpaper photo I used also didn't make the wallpaper photo disappear.

Is there any reason why you don't want to upgrade to 1.1.2? I know it fixes a lot of those issues.
It's not like that, but if there's an easier way to solve the problem, I'd opt for that. 50-or-so steps to complete the upgrade seems to be too difficult for me.

hav0k

Dec 7, 2007
Upgrading to 1.1.2 from 1.1.1 is EXTREMELY easy.

Go into Installer and install OktoPrep from the Tweaks (1.1.1) menu.

Then, UPDATE to 1.1.2. Do NOT shift-click or even click on the Restore button. Update only.

After that's done, go to http://conceitedsoftware.com/iPhone/site/112jb.html and download the zip. If you're on a mac, run jailbreak.jar from the command line. If you're in Windows, run windows.bat. Make sure you have the Java Runtime Environment installed in Windows if it fails when you run it.

Follow the prompts on screen, and voila. Jailbroken.

As for upgrading from 1.0.2. Do a shift-click restore to 1.1.1, then follow the steps above after you jailbreak 1.1.1 at http://jailbreakme.com

Jailbreaking a OTB 1.1.2 is a little more tricky, but it's still very easy. Just involves the use of either Indepenence in Mac or iPhuc in Windows to get your phone out of recovery mode after the 1.1.1 downgrade.

yashrg

Mar 15, 2008
I am running 1.1.4 and was slow and cautious to install applications on my touch. I was pretty happy with the stability of safari for the last couple of days. But since I installed an application called dock my iPod touch has gotten really slow and safari crashes a lot