Raspberry pi

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
Has anyone used the raspberry pi for an arcade or any other cool things? I'm looking at buying one but want to see if any of y'all have used them before and your thoughts on them. Should I just buy a full kit or buy each part individually? Where would be the best place to buy one? I have seen them on Amazon and eBay.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Has anyone used the raspberry pi for an arcade or any other cool things? I'm looking at buying one but want to see if any of y'all have used them before and your thoughts on them. Should I just buy a full kit or buy each part individually? Where would be the best place to buy one? I have seen them on Amazon and eBay.
I bought a Pi to mess around with, for the size of the thing it's incredible. I primarily use it for xbmc as it hooks into my server (either over ftp, smb or whatever else you can think of setting up) and I can instantaneously watch movies I've downloaded or show pictures or play music (it's also rigged up to a cheeky stereo system) around the house. You can use a remote on your chosen device (not sure about Windows mobile... who owns a Windows mobile anyway?)

You don't just have to use xbmc you can use the Pi's native OS and run it as a mini computer, don't expect it to be fast because it isn't, but for the basic things it functions really well. You can swap out the SD card and off you go, really easy.

What I do want to do when I get chance (which isn't often because I'm an idiot and work too much) is create a mini-BMS system and I/O (inputs and outputs) to control a house. I'm an electrician by trade but I actually do heating, ventilation and controls (HVAC) and we already have a range of products which do this, much better I might add. However it's more expensive than buying a cheap little Pi and a few accessories to try and automate your house. I won't lie, it wont be a permanent thing, as soon as I have enough money I'll be replacing the system with new stuff for full control, even down to things like curtains controlled via lux etc (totally geeky I know) - I watched a film and watched in pure amazement at something as simple as an automated curtain and now I've simply got to have it, or my life wont be complete.

Or. You could create a Pi Tablet (PiPad). The guy that made this is a total legend! I can see his idea catching on. Read more here.

If I recall correctly, @iPhonewarrior has one of those. Maybe he'll chime in and provide his experience with it.
:p