Rate Plan - Reactivating iPhone

Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
I am still looking for an answer to this question. I currently have an original iPhone that I had canceled the AT&T contract on back in January (I have a 4 line Sprint contract and was tired of paying the extra $66/month for the iPhone). I am basically using my iPhone as a Touch right now. My plan before the intro of the iPhone 3G was to reactivate my iPhone next January, when my Sprint contract expires, and move all four of my lines to AT&T. My concern is, if I do that what data plan will I be paying for, for my iPhone - $20 or $30/month. If $30/month, I'm thinking seriously about going ahead and reactivating now (or at least before July 11) and hoping to get the $20 plan now. What do you think my plan would be if I wait until January. Final part of question, even if I go ahead and reactivate now, when I change to a Family Plan next January, do you think AT&T would allow me to keep my existing $20 plan or would they force me to go to the $30 plan? I talked to my local AT&T store and they had no idea about these questions. All they were sure of was if I reactivate now, I could still get the $20 plan.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
no, you will have to switch to the $30 plan when you get the 3G iPhone. they ONLY offer a $30 plan for the iPhone 3G. if you are previously in a contract for an iPhone v1 then you will continue to pay $20 until your contract expires. but if you have an iPhone plan now and then get the new iPhone, you will switch to $30.

Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
I think you might have misunderstood my question. I'm not switching to an iPhone 3G. I just want to activate my iPhone 1 next January. In other words, will iPhone 1's that are activated after July have to pay the $20 rate or the $30 rate.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
It'll still be the $20 data plan if you start it up now. I don't know how long they will offer it, but people with the original $20 iPhone data plan will keep it unless they upgrade to the 3g model.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I think you might have misunderstood my question. I'm not switching to an iPhone 3G. I just want to activate my iPhone 1 next January. In other words, will iPhone 1's that are activated after July have to pay the $20 rate or the $30 rate.
oh, I'm sorry. as of right now, all we can be certain of is that any iPhone contract started before the new iPhone comes out will remain $20 until the end of the contract. there are no guarantees that they will continue to offer the old data plan at all in the future.

Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
That is what I'm worried about. I think I'm going to go ahead and reactivate before July 11.