RDM+ for iPhone: Remote access service from SHAPE Services

Kanzaz

Sep 14, 2007
Originally Posted by up10ad
I have an issue that after connecting my iPhone gets a yellow dialog saying Authorized... but then nothing else. On my PC it shows a connection from me in the connections dialog.

Should I take this to the support section of your web site?

@up10ad, thanks you for this information. Such problem may be due to the our server overload. Try to login again. It should help.
We working on this problem now.

The best way to inform us about the problems is write to betardm.iPhone@shapeservices.com ,
or here in this topic.
I'm having this exact same problem. I've been trying to login for 2 days and nothing. Just the same yellow box saying, "Authorized..." and that's it. On my computer, my connection is active and shows as connected. Please help! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

SHAPE

Aug 21, 2007
You can try new RDM+ Apple iPhone beta-version with improved connection speed and performance reliability.
Please follow this link to download the latest RDM+ Desktop Service v.3.6:
http://www.rdmplus.com/download/rdm
Try the latest version and let us know how it works for you.
Your feedback is important for us.

Victoria
Support Team
SHAPE Services
www.shapeservices.com

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Sorry I haven't replied since the last update. I really hadn't had the chance to comment.
I can say that the previous version (release 2?) did not refresh very well. I would click on something, select what I wanted to do (single or double ckick) and then it would sit there unchanged. I found that I had to refresh Safari for the changes to show up. Once I found that out, it made use a little easier, but still slow. I was also getting crashes just about every other time I used it, although I think that my refreshing it helped with that as well.
I'll test the new one and let you know how it goes for me.
And just to let you know, I use the remote mostly for accessing my webcam to view my apartment. We have had several instances where we believe that the repair guys have been in there, unauthorized. So I like to keep an eye on the place.
Through the WINVNC program, I can get in and have the screen refresh as fast as 2-3 frame per second, which is enough to see what's going on.

Kanzaz

Sep 14, 2007
You can try new RDM+ Apple iPhone beta-version with improved connection speed and performance reliability.
Please follow this link to download the latest RDM+ Desktop Service v.3.6:
http://www.rdmplus.com/download/rdm
Try the latest version and let us know how it works for you.
Your feedback is important for us.

Victoria
Support Team
SHAPE Services
www.shapeservices.com
Thanks Victoria,

unfortunately I'm still having the same issue. The latest version is the one I originally downloaded but I uninstalled it and reinstalled the iPhone version on your link above. Same exact problem after reinstall. Your process for doing this is very simple so I don't see how I could be doing something wrong but let me know what I can try next. Thanks and once it's working, I will definatley post my comments, suggestions and praise to further assist you in fine tuning this application. Thanks again!

Denis Perevalov

Aug 22, 2007
unfortunately I'm still having the same issue. The latest version is the one I originally downloaded but I uninstalled it and reinstalled the iPhone version on your link above. Same exact problem after reinstall. Your process for doing this is very simple so I don't see how I could be doing something wrong but let me know what I can try next. Thanks and once it's working, I will definatley post my comments, suggestions and praise to further assist you in fine tuning this application. Thanks again!

Kanzaz, you can try to connect to your desktop via your pc browser (using Firefox or Safari -> iPhone.rdmplus.com, IExplorer -> www.rdmplus.com). If connection will be successful, then the problem is in iPhone, not in the pc. In this case you should reset your iPhone's Safari.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Well I've tried the latest update but it is still far too slow, too crash-prone, and in general just too cumbersome to use. This is about the end of the road for me, as without window support this app will never get stable IMO.

Moreover, the new native app VNsea is so fast it makes using any remote control software via Safari seem downright unusable. I can pan my 1680x1050 desktop faster via VNsea--under EDGE--than RDM+ under WiFi. When using VNsea under WiFi it's as fast as connecting with a PC VNC client--blazingly fast. VNsea is missing a lot of key features, but based on what I am seeing right now this is the way to go.

If Shape offers a native client (not HTML through Safari) that works as fast as VNsea does now, with keyboard support, etc., I would buy it. But the Safari approach is not ever going to cut it IMO--at least with the current state of Mobile Safari (no Java, no Flash).

--
Mike

Kanzaz

Sep 14, 2007
ok...that did it. No problems logging in what so ever. An effective remote destop server solution is something i could definitely use. Daily I'm strapped to my laptop to access my servers software for work. If I could sit on the beach, access my laptop and thus access my companies server via a PC version of remote destop, life would be beautiful.

That being said, once I got logged in via wi-fi, it looked great. Obvious compression on the images but more than acceptable to be. It wasen't what i would consider lightning quick but to me it was very usable in wi-fi mode, for what i do. If it just worked consistsntly, i would be very satisfied with where RDM+ is at right now.

That being said, im having the same crash issues as others are describing. The plus side is i have not once had the software that is installed on my PC crash yet, just the safari browser. I mention this because I tried out a similar remote option and the PC software kept crashing. Having the safari browser crash sucks but if I'm miles from home I'd rather have safari crash than the app on the PC side. If that quits you're toast.

Lastly, I got this to work via edge, once. It's just way too slow to be useful. Very diappointing given that this remote option thus far has been the easiest to install. Most people aren't techies. Im not...I'm in sales so simplicity is good.

To sum up my review, i think this is the best HTML based remote out there. In theory native apps like VNsea would make for an ideal option but the install process of that and others is just too complicated for me. Overall I like what you guys have done thus far. If you can resolve thd constant crash issue it would be worth it to use even if only via wi-fi. I hope some of my comments help and keep up the good work!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
... In theory native apps like VNsea would make for an ideal option but the install process of that and others is just too complicated for me. Overall I like what you guys have done thus far. If you can resolve thd constant crash issue it would be worth it to use even if only via wi-fi. I hope some of my comments help and keep up the good work!
I like RDM+, but it's too slow and crashes too often to be considered effective. I have also used the TightVNC to remote in via Safari, and it's almost twice as fast over edge than RDM+. Unfortunately, it too has moments of instability and it's the service on the Host PC that crashes.
I recently installed VNsea, and yes it requires just a little bit of work to make sure that the ports are open on the firewall, but beyond that, it's a snap to install and configure on the iPhone.
The main difference? SPEED! Holy crap this is MUCH faster over Edge than even the Tight VNC is via Safari.
The drawbacks are the there is no text support, and you cannot resize the screen or switch to landscape, but those upgrades are in the works.

I say keep trying all three and keep the fine people at RDM+ informed (in this thread at least) of how it's working for you. I think that their biggest drawback is that you are passing through a server to connect to the host PC, and that's where the lag and crashes come from, trying to translate the desktop "image" to the iPhone.

SHAPE

Aug 21, 2007
Possible fix for Safari crash

Please try these method to stop Safari browser crashing.
You need to clear cache and cookies, then reboot your iPhone.
On you iPhone go to Settings / Safari, press "Clear Cookies", then "Clear History".
Reboot your iPhone.

Please let us know if the problem persists.

Victoria
Support Team
SHAPE Services
www.shapeservices.com

SHAPE

Aug 21, 2007
RDM+ for iPhone beta-testers award

Here is a list of winners awarded with unlimited licensed for RDM+, iPhone version:

Tinman from EverythingICafe
Christian West
Dan Geller
Jason Parmental

Congratulations!

Dalt584

Jan 17, 2008
Im so confused on how to set this up. I have it downloaded, but it keeps saying "Unable to connect: rdm" Help?

Thanks,
-Dalt

SHAPE

Aug 21, 2007
This thread needs to be refreshed :)

RDM+ is out of beta and offers a lot of great functionality among which are:
  • Access your PC from your mobile device wherever you are
    Control your desktop remotely, manage files and send e-mails easily from your mobile.
  • Firewall traversal
    You don't need to change any firewall settings or ensure direct access to your computer from the Internet.
  • One time fee
    The price you pay is a one time fee, all further updates and upgrades are included.
See the site from the PC at http://www.rdmplus.com/rdm/iPhone/features.html
or enter RDM+ from your iPhone at iPhone.rdmplus.com. You can try RDM+ during 7 day free trial period.

Feel free to post your questions and suggestions here.