Re-applying Screen Protector

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jay12

Oct 18, 2007
anyone have any good tips for re-applying the screen protector? i have the anti-glare ones from Apple.. and it says you can wash them but it seems like it would be difficult to put them back on.

mrgrumble

Bronze
Oct 26, 2007
Strong Island, NY
anyone have any good tips for re-applying the screen protector? i have the anti-glare ones from Apple.. and it says you can wash them but it seems like it would be difficult to put them back on.
I have the same exact screen protector and it's amazing. I've applied it 2x on separate occasions to an iPhone and the guy at the Genius Bar showed me the trick and since then it's worked amazing with no air bubbles. Now everyone asks me to do it for them.

0. Clean screen with lint free cloth and screen cleaner to make sure screen is spotless.
1. Take two normal sized post-it notes.
2. Put one post-it note on the side of the screen protector.
3. Followed by the other post-it note on the other side.
4. Line up screen protector using the post-it notes to hold the protector in place.
5. From the center slowly place down the screen protector going from the center out.
6. Make sure to check for air bubbles while doing this so you can re-adjust it if you tend to mess up.

The post-it notes are the secret in this they work amazing.

jay12

Oct 18, 2007
i knew there had to be a trick! haha.. thanks a lot..

one more question.. did you wash the screen protector or did you just use the cloth? thanks again..

m.o.r.

Oct 25, 2007
4. Line up screen protector using the post-it notes to hold the protector in place.
5. From the center slowly place down the screen protector going from the center out.
6. Make sure to check for air bubbles while doing this so you can re-adjust it if you tend to mess up.
hi mrgrumble,

thanks for posting these tips! :)

quick questions though:

at step 4 when lining up the protector and using the post-it notes to hold it in place, does the protector already touch the screen or is it floating above the screen with the post-it notes acting as its legs?
at step 5 do you just use your finger or do you use a card/smudging tool in pressing the protector onto the screen from the center outwards?

when you get air bubbles, do you start over or just lift the area with the bubble?

blacklabel775

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I use body guardz screen protectors, I put one on monthes ago and it still looks brand new. I highly recommend these.

The body guardz kit came with a spray on solution that you can apply to the sticky side of the protector. The thin layer of lubrication makes it so that you can slide the protector around on the screen, making it simple to line up and apply and super easy to squeegie the bubble out with a card. As the solution dries, the smaller bubble work themselves out and the screen protected regains its tackyness. I have heard that using a solution of water and a drop of dish soap will do the same thing as the body guardz solution, but I have not tried it.

If you're confused and have no idea what I'm talking about you can check out the body guardz website for a video.

LudaMan

Bronze
Aug 22, 2007
does anyone elses Apple screen protector catch dust like a mother? All it takes is wiping it off with my shirt or a cloth, but dayum!

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
hi mrgrumble,

thanks for posting these tips! :)

quick questions though:

at step 4 when lining up the protector and using the post-it notes to hold it in place, does the protector already touch the screen or is it floating above the screen with the post-it notes acting as its legs?
at step 5 do you just use your finger or do you use a card/smudging tool in pressing the protector onto the screen from the center outwards?

when you get air bubbles, do you start over or just lift the area with the bubble?
I might be mistaken but I believe that the post it notes are used kind of like wings on a butterfly so you have something to hold onto sticking out to the sides of the screen protector as you lower it into place. If you didn't have them you would have to hold the tiny screen protector and try to set it in place without getting fingerprints under it. Using post it notes allows you to have a wider holding surface away from the "sticky" or the shininess of your screen as you set it in place.

jay12

Oct 18, 2007
ive had the anti-glare protector since the first day.. and so i decided to just buy a new one since i could never reapply the screen protector correctly.

i bought the regular crystal film ones and they work great.. i like how the anti-glare never had any fingerprints.. but i forgot how nice the screen looks .. :laugh2:

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
From my experience using the original Crystal Film.

Very easy to put on.
Screen looks AMAZING to the point that you really cannot tell there is a film there.
I have taken my film off, washed it and reapplied. The key is to wash it off real good and then shake it (holding it by the home button hole to keep your fingers off it) and then set it somewhere dry and as lint free as possible with the sticky side up. If you get ANYthing near that sticky side you can start the whole process over as the thing is a lint MAGNET on that side.

Just be careful not to clip the edges too much with your fingernails so it seals properly again. If you need something to get under the edge to get it off, try a sheet of paper (the corner)..worked for me.