Reactions in NYC to the 4.7" iPhone 6 Mockup

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Napoleon PhoneApart, May 25, 2014.

1. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

UrAvgConsumer on YouTube shows the 4.7" iPhone 6 concept mockup to a small sampling of people in New York City. The sound is a bit indistinct because of environmental noise.

I was surprised at how much resistance there was to a larger iPhone screen. Weirdos. :D

2. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Interesting. I sure upon release the sales figures will sing a different tune.

3. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

I agree with navi. I have talked to a LOT of people all over the country, and aside from this forum, the vast majority do not just want a bigger iPhone, but REALLY want it.

I know there are some that do not want a larger phone, so the rumor of a couple different sizes would be great. And, I know that some will buy it just because it's the new one out. Me, I will stick with my 4s and many accompanying accessories I already own until they offer a bigger screen size. Otherwise, what I have is just fine. Unless I get anxious and go to a Galaxy ;)

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

There are numerous people on this forum who want a bigger iPhone. The lack of availability of a big screen has been a near-constant complaint here since 2011.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

forgotten.jpg

6. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Well then it amazes me that Apple has resisted giving what people want. Must be a reason against it of which I am not aware.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Apple can be a little slow to adopt what lots of others have, in my opinion. Sometimes that can be a good thing - Apple doesn't have a habit of throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They have never been known to make drastic changes quickly. They sit on ideas for a long time and perfect them before rolling them out. They stood by the idea that single-handed usage was what everyone needed until they couldn't deny the demand for a larger screen any longer. It's important to a lot of us, but it's not a priority for everyone. They thought a 4" screen would be the best of both worlds, but after launching it, they realized it wasn't big enough for many of their current and potential customers. It looks as though they are finally caving. Despite not currently having a big screen option available, they are still doing quite well in sales. Adding one or two more sizes will further increase the iPhone's popularity.

9. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Hope so. I felt that going to the 'C' with the nplastic back would cheapen their brand. There are plenty of cheapo phones; the iPhone has always been positioned as the leader and innovator. To go downmarket didn't make sense to me. And, it appears it wasn't a great idea.

Hopefully they will finally go to a big screen, along with the usual camera upgrades, and better battery life. They can extract a lot of cash from me if they do; or I may leave them for somebody that does.

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

#10 Napoleon PhoneApart, May 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
  11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Plastic doesn't necessarily make it cheap. The build quality and internal parts are what really define a phone. The 3G and 3GS were plastic but I don't ever recall feeling like they were cheap when I used them. I actually felt just the opposite - they were solid, quality products that held up great for me.

12. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

Exactly. My daughter has the 5c and its very well made and actually feels better in the hand then my 5s. I'm hoping that they will move the iPhone design in line with the current iPad Air design, as I think that the rounded back will fit well in the hand. I'm looking forward to a 4.7 inch display.
    ~S

13. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I like the mock up that I have been seeing so far. I'm very excited for a possible Sept release. I almost went with white on the 5 and then I switched to black, but I think I may finally crossover from the dark side and go with a white iPhone 6.

14. thelaw

thelaw New Member

When you control all the hardware, you have limited choices. While I originally liked my iPhone, I found myself not appreciating the fact that Samsung would come out with these awesome variations and that HTC and LG would rival them in different ways, giving you a phone that worked just the way you liked. Truth is people resist change and people who are invested in Apple products will have nowhere to go except to the new phone, deal with it, and a good number may like it.

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Some people such as myself test a new Android flagship phone almost every year and still find it lacking (usually in apps or some quality specific to the tester's needs) and come back to the iPhone. It's not a contest; it's personal preference.

16. thelaw

thelaw New Member

Well, they are different. The iPhone doesn't have variations that needed to be accounted for. Development can be tighter. Android has rather exploded although there are a number of apps that may not work on certain phones, so time and effort can be wasted on trying to deal with issues concerning that platform.

The larger screen is beneficial in many ways. Personally I think it's the only way to be able to appreciate the Retina screens as increased resolution now on smaller devices is meaningless. How many more pixels will make anything better on a 4" screen. A 4.7", even just a 17% difference or so, makes a big difference when trying to read documents. I imagine that women will prefer the smaller phones and I'm guessing they will certainly come out with two options.

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

And therein lies the rub. I've used several identical Android and iOS apps that I use all the time. In almost every case, the iOS app has additional features that its Android counterpart lacks. Some of these additional features are small, but they're important to me. I like to see the ball speed and path of each pitch in the MLB at Bat app, for instance. I like to go directly to my DVR recordings on my Comcast Remote iOS app instead of having to physically sign on to my DVD page on the Comcast web site with Comcast Remote for Android.

These little differences mean a lot to me.

The resolution race is turning into marketing hype. The human eye is incapable of discerning differences in detail past a certain resolution. So, it's turned into a numbers game now, not anything really useful. I want a larger screen iPhone, BTW.

18. tvdc

tvdc Member
    Bronze

Sury they've Apple has been resisting a bigger screen because it would eat into IPad mini sales - hard to see anyone wanting both a large screen iPhone and a mini, whereas currently plenty of people carry both around.

Bigger screen would surely spell the end for the mini and perhaps Apple are braced for that now.

19. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I can see some folks choosing between the 5.5" iPhone and the iPad Mini. But the difference that puts that choice at a minimum, is the "phone" part. The Mini has no phone, so your kind of talking Apples and oranges. But there will be some who, instead if getting a phone and a Mini, will get the larger 5.5" phone and skip the Mini. But I think the Mini will survive.

#19 Ledsteplin, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  20. tvdc

tvdc Member
    Bronze

Not really Apples and pears though is it? People will just buy a big iPhone and not bother with a mini - what would a mini add to your life if you already have a similar sized iPhone?