Read Hotmail with Mail.app

Y-Less

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Netherlands, The
I was fed up with having to go to the hotmail website and sign in to be able to view my emails, so I had a look around the internet and tried various alternatives, but eventually struck gold with Mail.app. In Mail, add a new account (in the Accounts section of its preferences) and choose a POP3 type of account. Fill in all your details and email address and Click Save.

Hotmail will work on your iPhone, any questions, post them here and i'll try to solve your issues.

Mavery003

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Hi Y-Less, I might try this out. So if I already have gmail set up with my iPhone, and I add this account for my hotmail, will it receive emails from both accounts coming in simultaneously? Then when I go to reply will it reply from whichever account the email was received on?

Also, not sure if people know but there is a mobile option for hotmail. You open the icon and are automatically signed in, rather than going to the regular site and entering all your info. Its a very simplified version that isn't perfectly formatted for the phone...so you have to zoom in to get a good view, but its a much better alternative to logging in each time and it loads really quickly.
Sorry I don't have the link but I'm sure its easy enough to find! It says something to the effect of "Have a mobile phone?"

Y-Less

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Netherlands, The
Yes, it will simultaneoustly check all accounts you have setup in Mail.app. It olso will let you reply from your e-mail address where the e-mail was received on.

And why you need a piece of third-party software if you can check and write hotmail from your own phone?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Any email that can be setup as POP3 or IMAP can be used on the iPhone.
IMAP is a better alternative if you have folders and such that you organize your email with, but both should work fine.
For the most part, this has been the case since the iPhone's release back in '07

Jan 14, 2009
I was fed up with having to go to the hotmail website and sign in to be able to view my emails, so I had a look around the internet and tried various alternatives, but eventually struck gold with Mail.app. In Mail, add a new account (in the Accounts section of its preferences) and choose a POP3 type of account. Fill in all your details and email address and Click Save.

Hotmail will work on your iPhone, any questions, post them here and i'll try to solve your issues.
hey Y-less
would be great if you could help me...
i cant seem to configure my hotmail account with iPhone (3G)
after filling up all the information...in pop account
it says "the user name or password for pop3.live.com is incorrect"

BUT i am feeding in the correct username and password

kindly help

thanks

Jacm

Jan 13, 2009
hotmail send problem

Any email that can be setup as POP3 or IMAP can be used on the iPhone.
IMAP is a better alternative if you have folders and such that you organize your email with, but both should work fine.
For the most part, this has been the case since the iPhone's release back in '07
Hi Hawk - I have a hotmail plus a/c but am disappointed that it won't work with either my brand new Imac or my brand new iPhone 16gb, in that it receives emails no probs, but won't send, and I get a msg (iPhone) saying it cld not connect with the smtp server... I have sought help, and MS just came back with the same old settings as I already set up
I quote:
I would like you to reset the settings you have made on your iPhone device then try to set it up again. For your convenience, we have listed the POP3/SMTP Server Settings below.

Account: On

Account Information:
Name: (Enter your name)
Address: example@hotmail.com (note: enter your full Hotmail e-mail address)
Description: Hotmail

Incoming Mail Server:
Host Name: pop3.live.com (port 995)
User Name: example@hotmail.com (note: enter your full Hotmail e-mail address)
Password: password (note: enter your Hotmail password)

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP):
Host Name: smtp.live.com
Server Port: 25

Click on Advanced Settings:
Uses SSL: On
Authentication: Password
Delete from Server: When removed from Inbox (or your preferred option)
Server Port: 995

The settings above should work. If you encounter issues, please contact Apple by clicking the link below:

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/mailhelper/
[unquote]

They didn't and the Apple support was useless apart from some links to forums mentioning GMail and izymail solutions. Before I go down that route surely there must be a way , here we are in 2009, that iPhone can sync with hotmail plus?

Re Mail on Imac - my hotmail works fine on Entourage - I realise this is a MSOffice software on my Mac which proves it is an Apple issue - do they hate each other that much, or is it me?

bradbiss

Oct 16, 2008
Not got a Hotmail Plus account but the iPhone is letting me access my Hotmail through the Mail Application.

If you have an account for over 5 years i think it is and access it regularly they let you do it.

result.

nice one

ess_bee

Bronze
Dec 16, 2008
UK
Not got a Hotmail Plus account but the iPhone is letting me access my Hotmail through the Mail Application.

If you have an account for over 5 years i think it is and access it regularly they let you do it.

result.

nice one
I followed Jacm instructions and had no luck

moonkat

Oct 21, 2008
hey Y-less
would be great if you could help me...
i cant seem to configure my hotmail account with iPhone (3G)
after filling up all the information...in pop account
it says "the user name or password for pop3.live.com is incorrect"

BUT i am feeding in the correct username and password

kindly help

thanks
I have the same problem.:(

Mavery003

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Thats pretty sweet, especially for people who don't want to switch over accounts or use alternate ways of getting their mail directly to their phone.

I used hotmail as my main email until Aug. when I got the iPhone. Created a gmail account, and now use that for day to day contact with people and sending photos. I pretty much phased out the hotmail account for bills, and other account information only.

I was considering trying to push the account to my phone mailbox rather than use the website but then I realized I don't feel like being woken up in the middle of the night by proflowers.com trying to convince me to buy my girlfriend MORE flowers that come with a free goddamn ruby red vase!

In short, I highly recommend creating an account to keep in touch with people, and another for all the other junk!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Thats pretty sweet, especially for people who don't want to switch over accounts or use alternate ways of getting their mail directly to their phone.

I used hotmail as my main email until Aug. when I got the iPhone. Created a gmail account, and now use that for day to day contact with people and sending photos. I pretty much phased out the hotmail account for bills, and other account information only.

I was considering trying to push the account to my phone mailbox rather than use the website but then I realized I don't feel like being woken up in the middle of the night by proflowers.com trying to convince me to buy my girlfriend MORE flowers that come with a free goddamn ruby red vase!

In short, I highly recommend creating an account to keep in touch with people, and another for all the other junk!
I'll second that. Gmail's spam filters are second to none. I will not use any of my Yahoo or hotmail accounts on the iPhone simply for the fact that too much crap comes to the inbox that should have been caught by the filters.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I have no problems with spam with hotmail. I just set it to filter out anybody not on my contacts. Thenni go to the junk folder and find people or sites that I am willing to receive emails from and add them to my safe list. I did this for years before I got the iPhone.