*Read This* iPhone Modding Info

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

pb30

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Minnesota
Note, 8/6/08: This post was made in July of 2007. Some of the locations below have changed, and several links are no longer active. Therefore, until the original poster updates this thread, you should use other guides for modifying your iPhone.

If I missed anything or you find any errors below please PM me.

Forum Guidelines:
Please read forum guidelines before posting or attempting mods. Stepping outside the forum guidelines could result in being banned from the site. -Site admin

Software:
Mac:

iPhone Software Update (or follow windows directions below)
Jailbreak & iPhoneInterface

Windows:
iPhone Software Update (Part 1, Part 2)
iTunesMobileDevice.dll
Jailbreak
Manzana

Tutorials
Note: Even though the tutorials might not be written for your OS, you can still follow the basics on any tutorial. Once you understand one tutorial, the rest are all the same. Just use the different paths below.

Getting Started
These will prep your iPhone for modding and will teach you the basics
Mac HackTheiPhone
Mac ModMyiPhone
No windows specific tutorial, but it is covered in wjp09's ringtone tutorial below

Custom Ringtones
Windows EI by wjp09
Windows HackTheiPhone
Windows ModMyiPhone
Mac ModMyiPhone
Mac HackTheiPhone
Mac iPhoneAlley

Custom Icons
Mac ModMyiPhone
Mac HackTheiPhone

Custom Carrier Logo
Mac HackTheiPhone
Mac ModMyiPhone
Request a custom carrier logo

Change homescreen layout (reorder/hide icons)
HacktheiPhone

Change homescreen text
Hackint0sh

Custom SMS Bubble Color
EI

Tethering
Mac EI by chrissurra

Important Paths
Note: FSO images are shown on the homescreen against a black background, Default are shown inside apps against a gray background
Custom Icons
/Applications/*.app/icon.png (64x64)
Ringtones
/var/root/Library/Ringtones
SMS Bubbles (43x32)
/Applications/MobileSMS.app/Balloon_1.png and Balloon_2.png
Battery (264x129)
/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/BatteryBG_1.png (numbered 1-17)
Carrier Logo
/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/Default_CARRIER_ATT.png (44x20)
/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/FSO_CARRIER_ATT.png

System Sounds
/System/Library/Audio/UISounds
Signal (19x20)
/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/FSO_0_Bars.png (numbered 0-5)
/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/Default_0_Bars.png (numbered 0-5)

Last edited by a moderator:

Iwantmymtv35

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
This is very, very useful. We needed a place where everything can be found without looking through a million threads. I vote for this to be pinned.

iBrad

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Thanks

Man thats a really awesome post. I'm sure this will help many users with their questions. I wish this was up when I was first learning how to mod my iPhone :p

ColPhorbin

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
This is in my opinion the holy grail of iPhone modding threads. These youngin's have it easy...back when I started moddin', we had to hunt in the Siberian tundra for our tutorials with only sharpened sticks and we didn't even have feet back then

spideybry

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Philly
ok i think i bricked my phone :oops:
i cant restore it through iTunes =/, ne one help =/...
ok i didn't it decided to work for me, i haven't modded it tho, i pissed my pants a little

941JErEMY

Sep 17, 2007
AHHHH... ok can someone answer my Q? (and sorry if this is a repost... but im pretty stumped) ok... im using iBrickr and I went and replaced my "text" icon with my new one i made.. it uploaded... and then... nothing happened on the phone... so i just removed it.. and it made a question mark show up where the original icon would be... but then i re-uploaded my new one... and it went back to the original icon... help?:(

UPDATE* NEVERMINDD! wow what a noobish thing... i forgot to change my SMBPrefs to off on the "use theme icons" wowwww i feel dumb now.. nevermind. lol

rumpelgeist

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I am very confused! I want to change my signal strength icons, and I see what is posted above, but "SpringBoard.app" is an app, not a folder. How can I place the images "inside" "SpringBoard.app"?

Rumpelgeist

Last edited by a moderator:

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
In the file path's above they are folders just that are named *.app. That isn't the actual extension, just the name. You should be able to navigate to them like normal.