Ready for 1.1.1. (now what)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Banzai

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
With the new apptap (looks GREAT) recommending 1.1.1. I feel ready to make the leap in firmware.

I need to ask a few things so I make sure my info is protected.

First - Will the firmware upgrade wipe all existing apps and I'll have to reload?

Second - Is it safe to upgrade to the new iTunes? I use iPhoneringtone maker so I've been holding out. This may be a question for after the new iPhoneringtonemaker

Any other pitfalls I should be aware of?

divabimbers

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Arizona
I'd like to know this as well now that third party apps are possible, and I'd like to have the iTunes wifi store. Only reason I've been holding off on upgrading to 1.1.1 is because I'm tempted by the third party apps. My main concern about upgrading to 1.1.1 or even using third party apps through 1.0.2 is having to re-download from GMail again and also whether or not the existing emails I've got on the phone would be deleted or not. If anyone can reassure me of a way to be able to keep the emails I've got on there right now without re-downloading all of the emails again, I'd appreciate it.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I'd like to know this as well now that third party apps are possible, and I'd like to have the iTunes wifi store. Only reason I've been holding off on upgrading to 1.1.1 is because I'm tempted by the third party apps. My main concern about upgrading to 1.1.1 or even using third party apps through 1.0.2 is having to re-download from GMail again and also whether or not the existing emails I've got on the phone would be deleted or not. If anyone can reassure me of a way to be able to keep the emails I've got on there right now without re-downloading all of the emails again, I'd appreciate it.
Whenever you update, it ERASES EVERYTHING! You have to make sure your info is backed up in iTunes. You can get your Gmail back on the device. After updating, go into settings, mail then you can go back to as many as the last 200 emails to be re-downloaded. The other guy that asked about the ring tones, THEY WILL BE GONE! You can use the third party App Send A Song to use songs in your iPod playlist for ringtones, if you'd like..M

divabimbers

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Arizona
Whenever you update, it ERASES EVERYTHING! You have to make sure your info is backed up in iTunes. You can get your Gmail back on the device. After updating, go into settings, mail then you can go back to as many as the last 200 emails to be re-downloaded. The other guy that asked about the ring tones, THEY WILL BE GONE! You can use the third party App Send A Song to use songs in your iPod playlist for ringtones, if you'd like..M

You mean the settings through the iPhone or Gmail itself? as 200 is a lot to sort through on the iPhone so if I could lower that, that'd be great.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
You mean the settings through the iPhone or Gmail itself? as 200 is a lot to sort through on the iPhone so if I could lower that, that'd be great.
You have the choice of re-downloading the last 25, 50, 75, 100 or 200 messages. The phone will be wiped clean. The backed up data in iTunes will be re-synced after the update is finished. Make sure you sync before updating if you want to save your latest settings...M

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
make sure you sync and you'll get all your settings and texts back .. your email will download at least 25 messages into your phone if its pop since it doesn't sync with the mail server. make sure you backup your backup in case it says your phone couldnt be restored. make sure you "slide to unlock" it before you let iTunes apply your backup or it'll tell you it didn't work. but i recommend making the dive .. it's wonderful to have 1.1.1 AND all my 3rd party apps.