Ready to throw my MBP out the nearest window!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starry, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Starry

Starry Member
    Bronze

And I'm not talking Windows 7 :)

I use VMWare because some of my programs and office things require IE but for some reason I get doing something it goes to a black screen still has power but does nothing.. I have to then turn it off and restart it and all my windows are still there but it's ANNOYING!

Am I jinxed and this is only ME it's doing it too? LOL UGH

Is Parallels better than Boot Camp or is VMWare the top for Windows applications? What does anyone here who's smarter than me suggest :)

2. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

Well I cant really help you figure out whats going on but I use Parallels and I have never had any issues like that. I think you can get a discount on Parallels using your VMWare license. There is also a trial and you can import your VMWare machine.

3. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I use Parallels, it's probably the best you can get. I also have a triple-boot MBP for Win 7, Linux and obviously OS X.

Using Win 7 from a partition is very stable and really easy to set up. :)

4. Starry

Starry Member
    Bronze

Awesome thanks... so do I need to redo my whole system to install Parallels? I'm like so not tech saavy.. I'm more like a bull in a china shop when it comes to electronics LOL :)

5. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

I just checked Parallels site. You can upgrade for $29.99 from VMWare Fusion by entering your current license. Just install Parallels.

I believe you can open or import your VMWare machine in Parallels after that.

And to answer your question, all you have to do is install Parallels. Once your VM's are imported into Parallels, you can uninstall Fusion if you want.

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/vmwareoffer/

6. Starry

Starry Member
    Bronze

Hot Dog.. I just bought it... TY so much I'll try this... :) You ROCK!

7. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

your quite welcome!

8. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

It appears my question has already been answered :)

It's fairly easy to do, if you get stuck, give one of us a shout.

9. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

If you do decide to throw it out the window, let me know which one so I can stop by and catch it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Starry

Starry Member
    Bronze

It's gonna be the one behind my head... are ya outside yet? *Grumbling* This POS! I swear I must be jinxed by electronics or something!

11. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I've used VMWare and Parallels Desktop both over several years. They're both very good apps, but Parallels has been the one I've used for the last 2.5 years and it's been superb.

So I'll be another one doing my best to offer help if you have specific issues.

12. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Perfect timing on this thread. I used VMWare, but my version 3.X is not supported in Mountain Lion. Before upgrading, I was going to consider a jump to Parallels. They've both been pretty aggressive in trying to improve their products, so I've always felt they were both pretty good. Will definitely give Parallels a try and utilize my current serial to upgrade/migrate.

13. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I'm betting you'll like the switch.

14. Starry

Starry Member
    Bronze

I'm lost... I know I am liking this much better... but what I can't get use too is that I have my outlook and everything opening where my Mac crap is.. and I'm blonde and stupid and get confused easily! When I do something in outlook IE opens and I don't want IE to friggin OPEN I want my Chrome on the mac side to open.. *banging head on desk* I'm so stupid with this crap I could beat my son for leaving and moving to Philly there went MY tech support.. time to speed dial Tinners LMAO But HE didn't miss me.. he's saying "OH lord she's back I have to answer all these stupid questions for the broad" LOL :)~

15. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Sounds like you've got it in Coherence mode. To get out of that look for the icon with two vertical red bars in the top Menu bar on your Mac. Click on it and click Exit Coherence. That should get you back to seeing your virtual machine running Windows as just another app that you can Command-Tab to.

Screen Shot 2012-07-12 at 9.09.34 PM.jpg

16. Starry

Starry Member
    Bronze

Which is best ? Do I want to be in the Coher.. whatever? And I did the VMWare upgrade how do I know if it really removed the VM off my computer?

17. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Either one is good, it's just a matter of preference. Coherence mode is meant to make running Windows apps a more seamless sort of experience. I actually prefer the standard mode and just seeing a standard Windows 7 desktop.

To see if you still have VMWare installed just look in your /Applications folder.

18. Starry

Starry Member
    Bronze

YOU ROCK! TY.... :) Don't go too far I'll be back I'm sure LOL :)~

19. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Ha. We're both in Austin. No plans to go far - love this town. And I pop in here very often, so not going far in the sense you meant either. :)