Real Life Twitter

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
lol. Twitter is just another outlet to be self absorbed and self centered and think that other people care.

What started out as a means of how other people can be in the "day in the life" has turned into millions of people posting stuff and thinking others care.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
That's Twitter at its worst you're describing. Twitter has evolved into being many things for many people by now - all depends how you use it.

For instance, for many people it is now considered a better source of breaking, real-time news than any other because of things like search tools for it, and its Trends info etc.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
True, i guess. I guess ill get a twitter and make everyone follow me... If sum1 was smart enough they could probably do a propaganda thing on twitter.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
True, i guess. I guess ill get a twitter and make everyone follow me... If sum1 was smart enough they could probably do a propaganda thing on twitter.
I opened a Twitter account last year ago and did nothing with it, and I still get occasional followers signing on.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Yeah, Twitter is growing like crazy now - especially since lots of celebs are now using it, or having 'their people' use it - Oprah got 700,000 followers in around 2 days and Ashton Kutcher hit 1 million recently.

I think you could say the propaganda thing is being done to the max ...

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
lol. I didn't wana say it, but i meant like lead a propaganda, or get enough followers in a sense of how Hitler got many germans to do what they did. A theoretical Internet/global war.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Cute. It highlights how ridiculously mundane Twitter can be, but I love reading updates from friends, even if they are mundane.

Hold on. Except for the people who tweet non-stop and flood the stream with insignificance, non-stop. Seriously, do we really care how many contests they've entered or want to hear about how bored they are? (I'm hijacking your thread, Patrick...) Is there a way to filter posts out from people who tweet about nothing 20-30 times a day without unfollowing them?

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Cute. It highlights how ridiculously mundane Twitter can be, but I love reading updates from friends, even if they are mundane.

Hold on. Except for the people who tweet non-stop and flood the stream with insignificance, non-stop. Seriously, do we really care how many contests they've entered or want to hear about how bored they are? (I'm hijacking your thread, Patrick...) Is there a way to filter posts out from people who tweet about nothing 20-30 times a day without unfollowing them?
I am in the same dilemna. I think I am going to go ahead and suck it up and unfollow. I do not think it affects anyone here, but if anyone follows a certain scarletm a n d y, dayam can she RT all day or what!?!?!? And forget about checking in on FollowFridaY! I drop her and I wont get iPhone carpal tunnel!

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
lol I don't mind twitter when people post meaningful things. what i cant stand is when people post all the time about things they are doing.
I just woke up

Brushed my teeth, toothpaste tastes funny

Combed my hair *ouch* i have a tangle

Im pissed off now

Theres no more milk for my cereal

I love captain crunch cereal, but hate how it scrapes the roof of my mouth.

Im still hungry.

etc etc etc etc.

Its like VERY VERY annoying to read stupid **** like this on twitter. Post something meaningful, like "today i am going to record a song i posted a clip on youtube do you guys think i can sing?" for example but not limited to.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
That was awesome. lol.

Buffy - just unfollow. I couldn't care less how many contests people enter.

Vinze

Jan 15, 2009
I opened a Twitter account last year ago and did nothing with it, and I still get occasional followers signing on.
Twitter can be a powerful marketing tool for those who knows how to use it. For individuals, it is use as a micro blogging tool...so you don't have to write many sentences compare with blogging.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Blogging = Bull**** Logging or a Bull**** Log of personal thoughts or problems/rants/issues/gossip/or info.

Funny tho when ever someone mentions blogging i immediately think of that Perez Hilton fat guy.

Blogging used to be a very small self contained thing....then Twitter came, and its like the whole world "is a blogger" now. Blogging originally started out as New journalists websites where they posted their thoughts/ideas etc about a story they just covered which was secure in a place (the internet) where freedom of speech has no political /gov't limits or constraints. Pre Twitter and social networking sites, blogs had meaningful things to read about. Post Twitter and social networking sites its very hard to find decent to worth noting things from peoples blogs.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
I disagree, London. I think there's room for both and that, as individuals, we can choose to engage in whatever sort of information exchange we find meaningful or interesting from a personal perspective. Sometimes, that's just knowing that there is another mom out there who's going through the same stuff that I am. Many of the blogs I read aren't much different from participating in an off-topic forum, really.. :)