Real World Battery test, Day 1

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Got the iPhone Friday night and have cylced the battery twice. Today I took it to work for the first time to see how it compares to my Verizon Curve, which had phenomonal battery life.

3G enabled
Wifi Off
Location Services On
Screen brightness-Auto
Exchange Server Push email active
Pulling AOL every 60 minutes

530 AM-iphone comes off charger
608 AM-Get on Train, use Ipod function until 720 when I arrive at the office.
730 AM-10 Minutes worth of 3G browsing
850 AM-Sitting at my desk, battery meter still shows 100%.
10 AM-Frequent emails, but not much else. Battery meter dropped off slightly. Not sure about these increments, but looking like 90%.
1140 AM-10 minutes worth of additional surfing and 10 minutes of phone calls. About 50 emails now pushed to the phone from the beginning of the day. Battery still appears to be between 80-90%.
230 PM-Another 5 minutes of phone calls. Stats thus far are 3 hours 35 minutes of usage, 8 hours 18 minutes of stand by. The batter meter you see when you turn your phone on shows about 50%. But when I go into a app (like mail) the meter appears to be about 70%.
340 PM-Just did about 15 minutes of web surfing and the battery just took a major hit. Down to about 40%.
530 PM-5 minute phone conversation and another 20 emails received. Battery looks like its at about 30%.
630 PM-Battery went totally dead. Final statistics;
6 hours usage
13 hours standby

Overall, not great. My BB would let me get home, which would be 730 pm, with 40% minimum. Not that this is a bb comparo, but that is my bench mark. On the Apple web site it recommends letting the battery go completly dead once a month to help condition it. tomorrow I will try the exact same thing with 3g off and see what the difference is.

cabinets

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
Atlanta Ga
Got the iPhone Friday night and have cylced the battery twice. Today I took it to work for the first time to see how it compares to my Verizon Curve, which had phenomonal battery life.

3G enabled
Wifi Off
Location Services On
Screen brightness-Auto

Will update throughout the day.

Thanks for doing this! I'm out on vacation for a week so I'll know what to expect.:)

little bob

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
great thread idea. I will be checking in.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Great idea for a thread and very informative. This is the kind of information that is very useful for me. Thank you.

Donnie63

Jun 16, 2008
I'll throw my comment about my battery. I did quite a bit of showing off at work today and surfing and by 2:30 I received a low battery alert.:(

Looks like I either need to do a little less showing off or put it on a charge for a while at work.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
If I owned a 3G phone (which I don't), I would get into the habit of turning off 3G unless I was actively surfing more than, say, a single web page. And I would be praying for an app that made this easier to do.

Hawk also has an interesting point about location services in this thread

Last edited by a moderator:

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
On saturday, my iPhone game me the 20% warning by 1230. And that was after I had it on a car charger for an hour while driving to the Bronx. Hopefully, I can make it home tonight, but I already see a tremendous improvement from conditioning the battery a little bit. After this, I want to do the same thing with 3G off and see how much longer it lasts.

jbarrack

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
New York
www.facebook.com
It seems like every battery is different. I'll bet Apple comes out with an update the improves battery performance and such. I remember the same thing happened last year with the first iPhone and it's battery meters.

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
This is a great thread.

Also -- I haven't been around all that much the last two days, so forgive me if this has been discussed ad naseum -- I've been reading on websites that it's best to top off a lithium ion battery pretty regularly, rather than just letting the battery drain to 10% or less and recharging it all the way back up. It'd kind of hard to do a battery test if you are recharging it all the time, but someone who does recharge it frequently will probably end up seeing better battery life after a month or so than someone who lets it drain. Just a thought.

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
I ran a test today, and talking on 3G and surfing on only 3G I got 4 hours of usage before I got the 10% warning. I had location services off, push e-mail, and brightness a bit more then 50%. I am not getting what I should be getting by about an hour. I am draining it all the way and we'll see come tomorrow. Also, as a side note I have 1-2 bars on 3G and that may be helping in the draining as well.

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
The draining really helped mine....I've done it twice..... big improvment.....I heard 10 times draining and it is optimized?....Course I've also adamantly that they should NOT be drained. Well it helped mine.
A restore also seemed to help significantly.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.

3G enabled
Wifi Off
Location Services On
Screen brightness-Auto
Exchange Server Push email active
Pulling AOL every 60 minutes

10 AM-Frequent emails, but not much else. Battery meter dropped off slightly. Not sure about these increments, but looking like 90%.
1140 AM-10 minutes worth of additional surfing and 10 minutes of phone calls. About 50 emails now pushed to the phone from the beginning of the day. Battery still appears to be between 80-90%.
230 PM-Another 5 minutes of phone calls. Stats thus far are 3 hours 35 minutes of usage, 8 hours 18 minutes of stand by. The batter meter you see when you turn your phone on shows about 50%. But when I go into a app (like mail) the meter appears to be about 70%.
340 PM-Just did about 15 minutes of web surfing and the battery just took a major hit. Down to about 40%.
530 PM-5 minute phone conversation and another 20 emails received. Battery looks like its at about 30%.
630 PM-Battery went totally dead. Final statistics;
6 hours usage
13 hours standby

Overall, not great. My BB would let me get home, which would be 730 pm, with 40% minimum. Not that this is a bb comparo, but that is my bench mark. On the Apple web site it recommends letting the battery go completly dead once a month to help condition it. tomorrow I will try the exact same thing with 3g off and see what the difference is.
I think it takes a few days of draining and recharging before the battery will be useful at its full capacity. I think it's call "conditioning" or something.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
If I owned a 3G phone (which I don't), I would get into the habit of turning off 3G unless I was actively surfing more than, say, a single web page.
That's no problem for me. I live in a 3G area, and 3g reception is abysmal for me at home and at work, and, well, pretty much everywhere I go in the 3G area.

Last edited by a moderator: