Really bummed with my iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

spscoral

Jul 3, 2007
I've had a few issues with my phone as I figure any new release will have a glitch or two. After calling Apple multiple times, and searching forums for a cure, I have to send it in.

I cannot hear anything through the earpiece speaker, tried what was recommended by Apple, and by forums. I could get it to work for about 20 seconds, then nothing.

The Apple store said they no longer offer "loaner phones", and when I went to the AT&T store where I purchased, no loners of any kind. Anger began to set in....

Called Apple again, said they do have loaner phones, but would cost 30 bucks to use while mine is being repaired. Whew did I unload.... still nothing. Then my wife gets fired up and calls, she calls and the 30 bucks is waived. What gives?

So my loaner should arrive within two businesss days, and mine will be sent in for repair. Hopefully I'll get mine back instead of a refurbished phone. I know how mine has been taken care of, don't want one scratched and dented if you know what I mean.

Here is what Apple sent me about the repair, just so everyone knows there is a little section at the end about modded phones.

Problem Description: Accessory HW Issues - Phone - Cannot hear calls from Receiver AND Mic

Repair Costs

Our initial diagnosis indicates that because your repair will likely be covered by the warranty, an AppleCare Protection Plan, or an Apple repair program, there should be no charge to you for the service performed. If any question arises regarding the repair coverage, we will contact you by phone or email.

Additional Information

Within two businesss days, you should receive the AppleCare Service Phone you requested along with instructions for transferring the SIM card from your product to the service phone. You'll also receive instructions for sending your product to Apple using the same shipping box. Please don't use any other box, because if the product is damaged in shipping as a result of improper packaging, it will not be eligible for service and will be returned to you unrepaired. Unless otherwise instructed by an Apple representative, do not include any other items in the box, as they will not be returned to you.

WARNING: Apple has discovered that some of the unauthorized unlocking programs available on the Internet may cause irreparable damage to the iPhone's software. As part of the service process, Apple will update the software on your iPhone to the latest version. IF YOU HAVE MODIFIED YOUR iPhone'S SOFTWARE, YOUR iPhone MAY BECOME PERMANENTLY INOPERABLE WHEN APPLE UPDATES THE SOFTWARE. Making unauthorized modifications to the software on your iPhone voilates the iPhone software license agreement, and the inability to use your iPhone due to unauthorized software modifications is not covered under your iPhone's warranty.

So I'm guessing if your phone is modded, you will take it in the shorts if you have problems.

rumpelgeist

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
So I'm guessing if your phone is modded, you will take it in the shorts if you have problems.

Umm...just do a restore on it (restore it back to factory condition), go ahead and update to 1.1.1 and send 'er in.

Better to have a phone that you can use than a phone that is tricked out, but not usable.

I can't imagine that they would ever have any idea that you modded it if you restore it.

Rumpelgeist

spscoral

Jul 3, 2007
Fortunately, I have not added any apps or done anything to the phone. It is just stock out of the box.

FexEx came today and I missed them, so hopefully I'll be around in the morning when the return. Hopefully the thing gets fixed, I'm catching grief from the wife!