Really Strange iTunes issue

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by coop1701, Jan 11, 2012.

1. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

Hey guys... I have been syncing my iPhone to my PC without issue, until last night.

I found I was missing a few songs cover art. So I added them in iTunes and went to sync. When I did, I lost half my ringtones.

I worked on and off all night, Rebooting, Restarting my phone. Each time I sync'd, I would get a different half of my ringtones back and about 1/3 of my music. After about 3 hours, I gave up.
    I unplugged my phone and restored from a iCloud Backup from the night before.

I have no idea what it happening with my iTunes, but has anyone seen anything like this before.
    One sync, I would get 1 Ringtone, 2 Text Tones, and lose email and other tones.
    Next Sync I would get Email, Voicemail and Twitter, with nothing else.

I think my iTunes is possessed.

2. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

Yes, I've had very similar things happen with both ringtones and books, I had to unsync and resync several times, before I got everything I wanted on my phone and iPad.

I've also noted that what's synced will change in iTunes randomly. Though I change nothing, it'll sometimes switch to only syncing selected books, rather than all, or to sync all ring tones to my iPad, when I don't need them on it and have never selected that option.

3. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

You're correct on the Books verwon. I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out.
    I was thinking maybe it was my PC. I have been loading a lot of TV shows into iTunes and was worried maybe I had done something.

4. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

It seems very glitchy to me. Today my iPhone was showing up in iTunes, but when I tried to sync a new ringtone, it said my device wasn't connected....then it said the same thing when I tried a wired sync! Makes no sense, whatsoever!

5. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

It doesn't... and I kept getting a failed to finish message the other night. After researching, some people said if you had a invalid file, in Ringtones, or pictures. That it would cause that. I rebooted my pc and it sync'd. But that's when my mess started. It's odd and has me reluctant to sync again. lol

6. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I've had similar issues recently.
    It started with 2 iTunes purchased alert tones.
    While working with Apple tech trying to sort out other syncing issues, 2 recently purchased tone alerts failed to sync.
    Got a popup on my 4S telling me 2 items failed to sync, see iTunes.
    Went into my account and saw that the 2 items in question had the round sync icon, and we're greyed out.
    Went into purchases and they did not even show up there. Was suggested I repurchase them, and would be credited, but with my other sync issues, thought it might be a deeper issue that needed to be resolved.
    After many hours on the phone with Apple senior tech support, wound up rebuilding my account, starting over from scratch and even moved everything to a dedicated 80 GB hard drive on my PC, just to be certain there were no currupt files causing issues.
    Well, the next sync after that, the problem persisted with same alerts, but started cropping up in music files as well, both purchased and downloaded from CD's.
    Since its showing up on CD loaded music as well, it points to something other than issues with purchases.
    Case has been forwarded to Apple engineering, with screenshots and appropriate diagnostic logs....

7. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I agree snowtrooper.