RealVNC Widget

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Joshie

Bronze
May 24, 2007
Hopefully if they can, wouldn't it be cool for someone to make a REALVNC widget. So you could like view your pc screen from your phone, zoom in with pinches and stuff, and use the touch screen as a mouse, when when you want to type ti shows the virtual keyboard? That would be like the best thing ever.

what do you think

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
That GoToMyPC looks pretty good! I might end up using it one day.
From what I can tell based on a quick look, it works just like logmein. I use logmein all the time and it works great. The best part is the have a "lite" version that is free. The main difference between the paid version and the free is that you cannot transfer files with the free service. I get around that by emailing myself any files I need off of the remote controlled machine.

Only downside I see with both services is that you cannot remote control a Mac. Anyone know of a way or a service to control a Mac over the internet?

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
From what I can tell based on a quick look, it works just like logmein. I use logmein all the time and it works great. The best part is the have a "lite" version that is free. The main difference between the paid version and the free is that you cannot transfer files with the free service. I get around that by emailing myself any files I need off of the remote controlled machine.

Only downside I see with both services is that you cannot remote control a Mac. Anyone know of a way or a service to control a Mac over the internet?
Do you mean besides Apple Remote Desktop?

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Anyone know of a way or a service to control a Mac over the internet?
Really depends on what you need the Mac to do. One of the cooler things I've seen Mail do is run AppleScripts based on the message contents, etc. You can always run a web server and feed it commands back to do various things as well. If you don't know want to script anything, Automator can do some of the heavy lifting for you.

I'd imagine even if VNC or remote desktop worked on the iPhone, you'd be scrolling around and double-tapping quite a bit just to control the Mac. It'd be tiresome pretty quick I think.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
What I am looking for is an inexpensive/free service like logmein for the PC. Basically it works just like PCAnywhere. I can sit in front of a Mac or PC, log into the logmein website and take control of one of my PCs. The desktop of the controlled PC just appears in the browser window.

Apple Remote Desktop is a little pricey for what I need. I would also like a solution that allows me to control my Mac from a PC.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I've controlled another Mac remotely using VNC. There are a few free options out there and they work just fine. You setup a VNC server on the remote Mac then run a VNC client on the computer you are using to connect to and control the remote Mac.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
^^ as Joe said.

Why not just enable Remote Desktop on your PCs and download the Mac version from Microsoft?

For going the other way (controlling a Mac), enable remote desktop on the Mac. You don't need Apple's software... just a VNC program (such as Chicken of the VNC or RealVNC).

ilLegalBeagle

Bronze
Jun 12, 2007
Admittedly, it's been about five years since I used VNC with any regularity. But back in 2003, when I left IT to go to law school, we had webports for VNC, so we could remote control the servers without having to install VNC on the remote client. Surely, if that was the case then, there would be some simple way to do that now. And since Jobs killed widget development outside Apple's walls for the time being, that's the only real option, anyway, right?

So, assuming the software is compatible with Safari, you install VNC on your desktop and port it through IIS (or whatever you use). Then, assign a port to it and firewall the dickens out of it. Finally, when iPhone hits the shelves, you open up your Safari browser and go to http://your.vnc.ip.address:port and log in.

Am I skipping a step or overlooking something?

ilLegalBeagle

godspropy

Jun 13, 2007
I just wanted to say that I've been using Terminal Services, which has been renamed to Remote Desktop on my Windows Mobile Phones (to my PC) for 3 years now. You do have to scroll around a bit but it is definitely useful. I mainly use it for things that I can't do on my phone directly (which isn't much) like certain web pages that use flash or something not supported in Pocket IE (but Safari on the iPhone shouldn't have that problem). That is going to be one of the hard features to let go of when I switch from Windows Mobile to the iPhone. However, not having to reboot my phone every other day will be great.

Another feature I'll miss is being able to share the phone's internet connection through Bluetooth or USB to my PC/MAC. That was very useful in airports/hotels when there was no free wifi.

Then there is the lack of external storage (storage card). This was nice to when there was no network or wireless to download files onto the phone and use a keychain USB reader to load onto the computer.

I could go on but I think (hope) the benefits will outweigh the drawbacks.